Sen. Josh Hawley To Introduce Legislation Putting Universities On The Hook For Student Debt

It's trolling. You righties deserve better leadership. If he was serious he would offer something serious. When was the last time your leaders offered something useful? Here is his troll pitch:

“For decades, universities have amassed billion-dollar endowments while teaching nonsense like men can get pregnant. All while charging extortionary tuition. Now Joe Biden wants to give away another $1 trillion to prop up the system. That’s wrong. Instead, it’s time to put universities on the hook and give students the information they need to make informed decisions,” Hawley told the Caller before introducing the legislation.

Why dont you ask for better? Elect better? Put forth people who want to make a difference and not simply to troll.

It's trolling. You righties deserve better leadership. If he was serious he would offer something serious. When was the last time your leaders offered something useful? Here is his troll pitch:

“For decades, universities have amassed billion-dollar endowments while teaching nonsense like men can get pregnant. All while charging extortionary tuition. Now Joe Biden wants to give away another $1 trillion to prop up the system. That’s wrong. Instead, it’s time to put universities on the hook and give students the information they need to make informed decisions,” Hawley told the Caller before introducing the legislation.

Why dont you ask for better? Elect better? Put forth people who want to make a difference and not simply to troll.
Trolling? Holding the main perpertrators responsible for skyrocketing tuition is "trolling"? Please elaborate, just calling it "trolling" doesn't quite cut it.

Trolling? Holding the main perpertrators responsible for skyrocketing tuition is "trolling"? Please elaborate, just calling it "trolling" doesn't quite cut it.
If he was serious and not trolling he wouldn't lie about being taught men can get pregnant. He simply wanted to push a narrative. I'm open to addressing college costing but his proposal isnt serious. Nearly half of all for-profit college attendees default, as opposed to public 4 year default rates of around 10%. 5X's more defaults. Let's start there.

If he was serious and not trolling he wouldn't lie about being taught men can get pregnant. He simply wanted to push a narrative. I'm open to addressing college costing but his proposal isnt serious. Nearly half of all for-profit college attendees default, as opposed to public 4 year default rates of around 10%. 5X's more defaults. Let's start there.
Your statistics are highly suspect, but that is a distraction from the root issue. Colleges and universities wiith the help of government subsidies have gouged students for decades and should be the primary source for any student loan forgiveness program. Sticking it to the taxpayer is disgraceful and wrong.

Your statistics are highly suspect, but that is a distraction from the root issue. Colleges and universities wiith the help of government subsidies have gouged students for decades and should be the primary source for any student loan forgiveness program. Sticking it to the taxpayer is disgraceful and wrong.
They are real numbers. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater - for profit universities are the bath water. They exist only to bilk the US govt and vulnerable students out of money. Start there if you are serious about addressing college costs. Students have higher debt, only 35% graduate, nearly 30% dont get jobs, and the default rate is sky high - 47%. It's organized crime.

1663790075079.png

They are real numbers. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater - for profit universities are the bath water. They exist only to bilk the US govt and vulnerable students out of money. Start there if you are serious about addressing college costs. Students have higher debt, only 35% graduate, nearly 30% dont get jobs, and the default rate is sky high - 47%. It's organized crime.

View attachment 699396
Start where? Going after students with the IRS? College endowments across the country are enormous and should be the source for student loan forgiveness. Do you disagree with that?

Start where? Going after students with the IRS? College endowments across the country are enormous and should be the source for student loan forgiveness. Do you disagree with that?
Start with the worst rip off artists in education. For profits which you dont seem to care about.

On your last question, they are federal government loans only the federal government can forgive them. I am fine with you not liking loan forgiveness. I am on record as being a democrat that isnt supportive of the idea. I think there are better uses for money - harder luck cases than college kids with a payment. Most college debt pays for itself in career earnings. In fact, college students are about $1M better off.

However, college costs are high and I would fully support subsidizing college costs more thoroughly based on need.

Start with the worst rip off artists in education. For profits which you dont seem to care about.

On your last question, they are federal government loans only the federal government can forgive them. I am fine with you not liking loan forgiveness. I am on record as being a democrat that isnt supportive of the idea. I think there are better uses for money - harder luck cases than college kids with a payment. Most college debt pays for itself in career earnings. In fact, college students are about $1M better off.

However, college costs are high and I would fully support subsidizing college costs more thoroughly based on need.

For profit colleges are already providing student loan forgiveness and as you say, some percentage of those colleges are unethical and are the subject of lawsuits. I am saying the majority of people that carry college debts of 100K or more are due substantial loan reductions, but it needs to come from the institutions who have become enormously wealthy off of them. I don't know why you treat these colleges with their multi-billion dollar endowments as sacred cows. Let's start with the Ivy Leagues.

For profit colleges are already providing student loan forgiveness and as you say, some percentage of those colleges are unethical and are the subject of lawsuits. I am saying the majority of people that carry college debts of 100K or more are due substantial loan reductions, but it needs to come from the institutions who have become enormously wealthy off of them. I don't know why you treat these colleges with their multi-billion dollar endowments as sacred cows. Let's start with the Ivy Leagues.
Relief is only $10k. Very few will get $20k. If you are in the hole $100k you still have a lot of work to do. My oldest is in a med school for an MD. It will cost $264k.

citygator MarathonMike

I get what both of you are saying and I agree with both of you on some parts.

Is there no fucking accountability for the students? Who in their right mind would spend 100k on school? Why would anyone do that? Why do they get their horrible decision making ability passed off onto the American tax payer?

The for profit schools are a problem. That bill is a good idea, terrible execution. Don't give the 'students' a pass. They fucking 18 when they start college, they're not children. They should be held accountable.

citygator MarathonMike

I get what both of you are saying and I agree with both of you on some parts.

Is there no fucking accountability for the students? Who in their right mind would spend 100k on school? Why would anyone do that? Why do they get their horrible decision making ability passed off onto the American tax payer?

The for profit schools are a problem. That bill is a good idea, terrible execution. Don't give the 'students' a pass. They fucking 18 when they start college, they're not children. They should be held accountable.
I don't think the former students are getting a pass by any stretch. I paid my own college loans off but they were less than 10 thousand total. So a part of me agrees with you. I also think citygator has raised valid points. So I would summarize things as follows:

1. For profits should continue to provide refunds, more if fraud can be proven.
2. Colleges with endowments over 100 million dollars should contribute to a relief fund.
3. Former students with high incomes who have defaulted should be forced to pay into the relief fund.
4. Not one dollar of taxpayer money should go into the relief fund.

Biden's trillion dollars will not be good for inflation.

I don't think the former students are getting a pass by any stretch. I paid my own college loans off but they were less than 10 thousand total. So a part of me agrees with you. I also think citygator has raised valid points. So I would summarize things as follows:

1. For profits should continue to provide refunds, more if fraud can be proven.
2. Colleges with endowments over 100 million dollars should contribute to a relief fund.
3. Former students with high incomes who have defaulted should be forced to pay into the relief fund.
4. Not one dollar of taxpayer money should go into the relief fund.
Getting any amount of money taken off your student debit is getting some sort of a pass. That is free money for making a bad decision. I do not support that.

Better like making sure men with penises can play in women's sports?

Even Bill Maher realizes that is killing Dems.

Getting any amount of money taken off your student debit is getting some sort of a pass. That is free money for making a bad decision. I do not support that.
Fair enough. I had the hard line opinion on student debt also. But after doing quite a bit of reading on the subject, I believe the colleges that raised their attendance costs by over 1000 percent are guilty of price gouging. Basically I see it as a class action against the colleges.

Fair enough. I had the hard line opinion on student debt also. But after doing quite a bit of reading on the subject, I believe the colleges that raised their attendance costs by over 1000 percent are guilty of price gouging. Basically I see it as a class action against the colleges.
Absolutely.

Still, if you're signing a school loan for $100,000++ you should be held responsible for being so stupid.

Forum List

Back