Secret Service guys fired

They were sent home for being drunk, it has nothing to do with respect.

Actually it does. If you respect the man you work for you will do a good job. It's called morale and esprit de corps. If either are lacking (and a lack of respect will certainly cause both to occur) then performance suffers.

In an age when most crewmen had to be pressganged, Lord Thomas Cochrane never once had to do that to crew one of his ships. He led by example and his men would do anything for him. The same as they do for anyone they respect.

The problem is Obama doesn't respect THEM, and that is a terrible insult to otherwise dedicated personnel. I doubt if any one of them would jump in front of an assassin if it came to that.

They did for Reagan.

I hope and believe the Agents are less petty and more dedicated to the core values of the Service and their oath than your demeaning pop psychoanalysis would suggest.

The Secret Service website defines the "Core Values";

"Each point of the Secret Service star represents one of the agency’s five core values: justice, duty, courage, honesty and loyalty. These values, and the Secret Service adage “Worthy of Trust and Confidence,” resonate with each man and woman who has sworn the oath to uphold them."

Dan Bongino, an ex-Agent and conservative Republican puts it this way in an interview;

Back in 1999, when you heard you’d made the cut to join the US Secret Service, what was your reaction?

"Elation. Shock. Astonishment. Happiness. At that time it was so hard to get into the Secret Service. I was completely floored. It was almost like what a significant high would feel like, but I haven’t ever been down that road."

There’s a message inside Secret Service headquarters that says, “Some grow up wanting to be President, and some grow up wanting to protect the President.” What did that mean to you?

"The nobility of the job, of the Secret Service’s mission: Keep this guy, or woman, alive, no matter sex, race, political ideology. You die first. That sign summed it up."

You say you decided to go on an alternate path—into politics—while you were still protecting President Obama. In fact, you say you reapplied yourself to the job. But did that ambition undermine your commitment?

"No, never. I think it furthered my commitment to the job. I was friendly with the staff. You are never friendly with the President. It doesn’t work that way. They knew my views, that I was a conservative libertarian. That ideology had nothing to do with my commitment to keep this man and his family safe"
Were there ever any times when you question whether you would give up your life for the safety of the President?

"Never. Not a millisecond. My commitment was ironclad."

Another agent of 21 years, Dan Emmett, put it this way;

"For me personally no one ever elected to the office of the presidency was worth dying for as a human being, yet the office of the presidency was. Consequently, the person occupying the oval office by default becomes worth dying for regardless of party affiliation or the personal feelings an agent may have. For anyone considering the Secret Service as a career, this must be part of his or her belief set. If not, the Secret Service is not the career he or she should pursue."

I believe you are ex-Forces, did you perform your duties based on personal feelings about your Commanding officer or the particular Commander-in-Chief on duty at the time?

Yanno................I'm pretty sure that events like this have happened in the past, and that other Secret Service agents have behaved inappropriately.

Only problem is.............there was no YouTube or other mass media to expose their faults.

Yeah................there are bad people who fuck up at their job at every level. There are also those who don't.

It's just easier to catch them acting badly now, because of the 'net and social networks.

Yanno................I'm pretty sure that events like this have happened in the past, and that other Secret Service agents have behaved inappropriately.

Only problem is.............there was no YouTube or other mass media to expose their faults.

Yeah................there are bad people who fuck up at their job at every level. There are also those who don't.

It's just easier to catch them acting badly now, because of the 'net and social networks.
"Pretty sure"? Um, okay.

"Pretty sure"? Um, okay.

Actually that comes from experience.

I've been in places where Americans have behaved less than admirably.

I've been deployed with Americans who have behaved badly.............I was on a ship with them in the U.S. Navy.

This doesn't have anything to do with Obama. This is something that has been happening and increasing for decades. What it seems to me is that across the board in America, values, morals, & ethics are disintegrating. Teachers, politicians, business people, youth, adults, essentially all professions, working class and professional class, all across the board, people not only seem to live out their lower urges but are happy to advertise them in the media, local, international, social, etc. The fact of the secret service behaving badly is just another example. Americans don’t have any dignity anymore. It is not a mater of religion; it is matter of personal dignity and character. Has nothing to do with politics or liberal verse conservative (conservatives are behaving just as badly as anyone else). It is something corrupt in the culture, throughout the culture. The Jerry Springer show was a kind of prophesy.

I think it's a bit simpler than that.

I think that when people are away on business, outside their communities and away from their families, some people tend to engage in behavior that they'd never engage in at home- drinking, filandering, and so on, because, hey, you are out of the context of your regular life.

This doesn't have anything to do with Obama. This is something that has been happening and increasing for decades. What it seems to me is that across the board in America, values, morals, & ethics are disintegrating. Teachers, politicians, business people, youth, adults, essentially all professions, working class and professional class, all across the board, people not only seem to live out their lower urges but are happy to advertise them in the media, local, international, social, etc. The fact of the secret service behaving badly is just another example. Americans don’t have any dignity anymore. It is not a mater of religion; it is matter of personal dignity and character. Has nothing to do with politics or liberal verse conservative (conservatives are behaving just as badly as anyone else). It is something corrupt in the culture, throughout the culture. The Jerry Springer show was a kind of prophesy.

I think it's a bit simpler than that.

I think that when people are away on business, outside their communities and away from their families, some people tend to engage in behavior that they'd never engage in at home- drinking, filandering, and so on, because, hey, you are out of the context of your regular life.

Perhaps. My perspective is based on living outside of the US for the past 10 years. I have a lifetime of experience living in the States, but the past ten years I've been observing her from the outside, and what I see is a type of corruption; it may be occuring all over the world too. IMO it is based more on the access to media...something to do with the internet and other media, the influence that has on people.

"Pretty sure"? Um, okay.

Actually that comes from experience.

I've been in places where Americans have behaved less than admirably.

I've been deployed with Americans who have behaved badly.............I was on a ship with them in the U.S. Navy.

Yeah, and you could see the piers from over the horizon.

-Geaux

I heard this story on the radio on my way in to work this morning and asked myself how long it would be before some wingnut turned this into a thread about the secret service not respecting Obama. Not long apparently.

I think if you gave them a Rorscach Test, each ink blot would be, "A Butterfly exploding because Obama is an Evil Kenyan, Marxist, Muslim redistributionist!!!!"

:eusa_clap:

And then if the Doctor called him on his Obama Derangement Syndrome, he'd respond

Hey don't blame me, Doc. You're the one showing me all the Political ink blots!

There is no plausible excuse for their behavior. The nature of their job leaves no room for error, and these individuals are very well compensated for what they do. Getting intoxicated here is definitely grounds for dismissal.

There is no plausible excuse for their behavior. The nature of their job leaves no room for error, and these individuals are very well compensated for what they do. Getting intoxicated here is definitely grounds for dismissal.

I would not expect Secret Service agents not to be allowed to drink. But to drink to the point where you are publically intoxicated shows a lack of professionalism. If they can't be trusted to control their drinking, how can they be trusted to guard the President?

Last edited:
I heard this story on the radio on my way in to work this morning and asked myself how long it would be before some wingnut turned this into a thread about the secret service not respecting Obama. Not long apparently.

I think if you gave them a Rorscach Test, each ink blot would be, "A Butterfly exploding because Obama is an Evil Kenyan, Marxist, Muslim redistributionist!!!!"

:eusa_clap:

And then if the Doctor called him on his Obama Derangement Syndrome, he'd respond

Hey don't blame me, Doc. You're the one showing me all the Political ink blots!

That's a new spin on an old joke!

I would not expect Secret Service agents not to be allowed to drink. But to drink to the point where you are publically intoxicated shows a lack of professionalism. If they can't be trusted to control their drinking, how can they be trusted to guard the President?

If they respected that president, they would be more professional. Wouldn't they? Doesn't it stand to reason that if one is happy with their employer they must protect, they would do all they could to make SURE they were always at their best......but if they thought their employer a jerk not worthy of respect, they wouldn't really give a shit about their behavior? Seems like a reasonable thought to me.

If they respected that president, they would be more professional. Wouldn't they? Doesn't it stand to reason that if one is happy with their employer they must protect, they would do all they could to make SURE they were always at their best......but if they thought their employer a jerk not worthy of respect, they wouldn't really give a shit about their behavior? Seems like a reasonable thought to me.

Gracie, you are acting like a partisan asshole

You think they are saying....we hate Obama, so let's get drunk. They are an embarrassment to their profession, stop with the partisan bullshit

You could be right in how YOU are thinking but why does what I am thinking wrong? Hating and not respecting are two different things. They don't respect them, so they don't give a shit. Either way, their actions are disturbing.

Definition of partisan (n)
Bing Dictionary
par·ti·san[ páartiz'n ]
biased supporter: a strong supporter of a person, group, or cause, especially one who does not listen to other people's opinions
resistance fighter: a member of a group that has taken up armed resistance against occupying enemy forces
showing unreasoning support: showing strong and usually biased support for a cause, especially a political one
synonyms: biased · opinionated · one-sided · prejudiced · bigoted · limited · parochial

Find a new word, dude. That ain't me.

Forum List

Back