SeaFood Gumbo

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Getting a late start so we may not get to try the end results till tomorrow....
Just started the seafood stock. It has the usual veggies,two lbs worth of shrimp heads plus shells and two lbs of crab bodies whole with the tops pulled off. We'll bring this to a boil and turn it down to medium and let it go for a couple hours then strain it out.
Pulled the claws to go in with the shrimp,crabmeat and oysters at the end.
I'll post more pics as we go.
38D7B4CB-0BCE-458F-AB13-D44FE573E90D.jpeg

Why didn't you just add this to your gumbo thread from yesterday? That was you wasn't it?

Why didn't you just add this to your gumbo thread from yesterday? That was you wasn't it?

It's a totally different recipe.
The other should have been labeled sausage and chicken Gumbo to be honest.

Meh --- gumbo is gumbo. Chicken, sausage, seafood, whatever. It all beginneth with the Holy Trinity.

Gumbo btw means okra (from Africa) and the filé comes from the Choctaw, so that beer guy yesterday is a little off calling it "Cajun".

That said, you keep that simmering and by the time I get there it'll be to die for.

Meh --- gumbo is gumbo. Chicken, sausage, seafood, whatever. It all beginneth with the Holy Trinity.

Gumbo btw means okra (from Africa) and the filé comes from the Choctaw, so that beer guy yesterday is a little off calling it "Cajun".

That said, you keep that simmering and by the time I get there it'll be to die for.
Yep, cause we-uns here around Choctaw nation know all about making some slimy stew...

Last edited:

You most certainly dont make seafood stock for chicken and sausage gumbo and I've never heard of someone using File in chicken and sausage gumbo.
Cajun and Creole food is definitely a melting pot of a shitload of cultures.
That what makes it so interesting.

Well the seafood stock is done,it's time to make the Trinity and of course the Pope. ;)
After the roux is done it'll be a good three hours before before the star of the show goes in.
Damn I wish we'd gotten started at eight.....

Yep, cause we-uns here around Choctaw nation know all about making some slimy stew...

We always de slime our okra and rely on File to thicken it up.
I hate seeing what looks like snot dripping off my spoon.

Never bothers me, and when frying the slime helps to keep the batter on.

WOW!!!
We've never had our seafood stock come out this dark and flavorful!!!!
Normally we'd just use the shrimp heads and shells to make the stock.
We normally look for medium fresh Gulf shrimp with the head on. The only thing they had were jumbo fresh Gulf shrimp that ran about six inches long each. Which of course we'll cut into halves or thirds.
The heads were full of fat and obviously huge,as in as long as my thumb and half again as thick. This is also the first time we added crab bodies for the stock.
The only thing that could have made the rich color is the shrimp heads.
You could eat this stuff like soup with nothing else!!
This is stacking up to be one badass pot of Gumbo!!!
And on the plus side we have enough stock to make a second batch or two smaller batches!

On to the roux and trinity.

AA3E7609-0E68-425B-A2B0-FB9D81D1C404.jpeg

Never bothers me, and when frying the slime helps to keep the batter on.

Not frying here.

The roux using Isaac Toups method again....worked like a charm.
Used a cup of oil and a cup of flour for this batch since it's much larger than the last one.
It did take two minutes longer with doubling the oil and flour.
The first few minutes.
1CE34740-55B2-47EF-9EFE-625440269EB1.jpeg

To the twelth minute...
73882B0D-71FF-4131-AA8D-89285AC98CBF.jpeg

Into an hour and fifteen minutes for the base and it gets better every fifteen minutes.
At some point I'm gonna have to say enough is enough and add the seafood.
Considering it'll only get better the next day and the day after it's about time for the shrimp,crab and oysters.
Although I'd love to keep going with the base to see where it ends up.

After an hour and a half of the base simmering we dumped in the seafood.
If the recipe was any bigger we'd need more than a seven and a quarter quart pot.
Now it's a matter of waiting 25 minutes and making some rice.

E4E0F3C6-A5F3-4C14-87AF-ACD87B2028B1.jpeg

Forum List

Back