School Boards need to be held criminally liable for school shootings (Poll)

Should laws holding school boards and security personnel responsible be passed?

• Yes, children require grown-ups to protect them

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • No, I'll explain why in my post

Votes: 23 54.8%

• Total voters
I think it's a lack of state funding for these laws the right wing won't pass it seems.

Why is it Texas has no state funding for these measures.

Oh yeah they don't want to tax the rich.

I know you cons like to beat up school boards. But most countries in the world don't have a problem. The basic schools around today in low income areas can't afford the security. Unless you want to make it federally funded. You guys trying to pass the buck and try to deflect away from the fact that no other country in the world has this happening and blaming the school board is a laughing stock.
So what's your solution.....plead poverty? That's the best you can come up with?

Shithole countries can laugh all they want.

Yep, the FBI doesn't protect the kids, but they protect the school boards.
Bullshit. The constitution you hide behind you gun huggers are a funny bunch. Passing the blame to the school boards. That's funny shit. Stupid but funny.

So what's your solution.....plead poverty? That's the best you can come up with?

Shithole countries can laugh all they want.
Without federal or state funding funds would go away from education and the real reason why you have a school board. Security measures should be the states responsibility.

Again, it's not about getting things 100% risk free because that is not possible, but throwing one's hands up and decrying we'll never achieve 100% safety is a pitiful reason not to do everything we can to MITIGATE as much of the risk to the students as possible.

That's the least we can do. My sister's children attended a private elementary school that had multiple armed protection officers out front in the mornings & afternoons when the children were being dropped off and picked up. They were friendly, helped keep traffic moving and once everyone was through the front gate, it was locked until pick-up time.

None of the children were traumatized by "men with guns" at their school, I dare say that they probably felt safer knowing there were "police officers" there to ensure their safety (the kids just assume those in uniform with guns are a police officer).

Children are more resilient than they are sometimes given credit for, but this is the world we live in. Since it's impossible to get rid of all of the guns, then the next best thing is to make sure that there are guns in the hands of the right people in the right places who are willing and able to rise to the occasion and counter any attack.

In Texas. Please tell me.
You look at the politics of the districts where shooters hit,
Sandy Hook, CT
Columbine, CO
Uvalde, TX
Parkland, FL

If you google them you'll be surprised at how many there are.
Were there any in parochial schools? (no)
Can we send the nuns out to public schools to restore morals and discipline? <g>

You tell me why the Texas Republican legislators hasn't passed laws already.
The killer is dead............pass a law to kill him twice.

Over reaction and ranting doesn't fix the problem. Simple solutions are needed to beef security and find solutions. Arming teachers is a solution.

1. I disagree that the majority of parents object to a hardened school environment, especially after all of the school shootings we've had. If they do, they are irresponsible, and my response would be "see you in court".
I didn't mean to imply that they are the majority, they're just a very vocal at times very emotional minority but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease :-(

I think it's a lack of state funding for these laws the right wing won't pass it seems.
Why is it Texas has no state funding for these measures.
Oh yeah they don't want to tax the rich.
You can prove what you just posted?
How about TX is protecting the southern border since Xiden wants open borders to let even more criminals into the US.

You look at the politics of the districts where shooters hit,
Sandy Hook, CT
Columbine, CO
Uvalde, TX
Parkland, FL

If you google them you'll be surprised at how many there are.
Were there any in parochial schools? (no)
Can we send the nuns out to public schools to restore morals and discipline? <g>
Yes one democrat state out of three. Imagine that. And it happened to be the real first one that kicked off after the assault weapon ban was lifted.

A

I didn't mean to imply that they are the majority, they're just a very vocal at times very emotional minority but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease :-(
When it comes to protecting their children, my money is on the responsible moms.
I like the "see you in court" response.

Can schools be "hardened" by modern designs to stop potential shooters from entering the schools?

The short answer is "yes".

So why aren't all schools secure from crazies with guns? I blame school boards. I do not accept any excuses.
Just get the money and do it.

That said, are security systems perfect?
The short answer is "no".
The Sandy Hook school had security doors, but the shooter was let in, carrying his AR.
Whoever opened that security door should have been prosecuted.

Any support for holding School boards, and security personnel legally responsible for school security?

Let's examine your 14 links
1. Limit entryways to school buildings. Clearly mark the main entry to the school and post signs on other entries redirecting visitors to the main entry. Lock outside access doors. Check periodically to make sure the doors haven’t been tampered with or propped open. The periodic inspections should include windows too.

Accomplished many years ago in most schools.

2. Monitor the school parking lot. If possible, have a parking lot monitor who oversees people entering and leaving the campus.

Accomplished many years ago in most schools, with the exception of the monitor which is not feasible,

3. Monitor and supervise student common areas such as hallways, cafeterias, and playgrounds. If possible, add video surveillance in these areas to record anything a monitoring person may miss.

4. Promote school-community partnerships to enhance safety measures for students beyond school property (police surveillance, Neighborhood Watch programs). There are willing community organizations that can help.

5. Consider the presence of school resource officers, local police, and/or security guards.

6. Monitor school visitors. Require that visitors report to the main office, sign in, and wear visitor badges. All staff should be trained to report strangers not wearing a visitor badge to the school office.

Stupid suggestion. School shooters usually start firing as soon as they enter.

7. Provide threat-assessment and risk-assessment procedures and teams for conducting them.

Stupid suggestion. That would accomplish nothing except waste time.

8. Develop/update your school’s crisis plan and preparedness training. School emergency plans should include preparedness procedures such as lockdowns, evacuations, parent-student reunification procedures, and emergency communications protocols. These should be shared with parents and the media. Building-level teams should regularly review plans, hold simulation drills, and train staff in how to respond to students’ questions.

9. Create a safe, supportive school climate that provides school-wide behavioral expectations, caring school climate programs, positive interventions and supports, psychological and counseling services, and violence prevention programs.

So damned vague as to be useless.

10. Encourage students to take responsibility for their part in maintaining safe school environments. Reward students who take the initiative to help keep schools safe.

So damned vague as to be useless.

11. Provide students with access to anonymous reporting systems (student hot lines, “suggestion” boxes, “tell an adult” campaigns). Young people sometimes have a difficult time speaking up if they see or hear something that may compromise school security. Allow them the means to communicate without the embarrassment of being labeled a “tattle tale”.

Accomplished many years ago in most schools. Completely worthless.

12. Institute strict procedures for key control. Assign the responsibility for locking and unlocking the school to as few individuals as possible. Number the keys in existence and document who has which school keys.

13. Keep unoccupied rooms and spaces locked when not in use.

14. Ensure that all classrooms, including portable and temporary classrooms, have two-way communication with the office.

The writer(s) of this article has never set foot in a school and sat around spitballing ideas that are ancient history.

Until there is criminal accountability, these shootings will continue, with or without more gun control laws. The father of a victim in the Parkland massacre has been pushing 3 tenets for school security and no one on the Left seems interested. Have a single entry point for entry and exit. Have trained, armed guards, and arm any teachers who are willing to be trained to handle them.

These steps have been ignored or denied based on the amount of money they'd cost the school districts. They've also been refused because dead babies make for better political leverage when Dems want gun control legislation.

Sure! Let's tear down a multimillion dollar school and build a new one. The kids can just go to the beach instead of attending class! Oh, that's right! They live in North Dakota!

Forum List

Back