Saw the Designated Extra-Inning Runner Spotted 2nd Base for 1rst Time

Meathead

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
So, apparently in order to speed up the game, the person that makes the last out at the end of the last inning starts at second base when/if the team gets another at bat.

Seems very strange. Wouldn't it be better to spot them 1rst base? I had no idea about the new rule and I understand the attempt to shorten extra-inning games.

What do you think?

So, apparently in order to speed up the game, the person that makes the last out at the end of the last inning starts at second base when/if the team gets another at bat.

Seems very strange. Wouldn't it be better to spot them 1rst base? I had no idea about the new rule and I understand the attempt to shorten extra-inning games.

What do you think?
Baseball is becoming a game of chance

What do you think?

Puts them closer to being in scoring position so everybody can go home sooner.

What do you think?

I get that, but it shouldn't be like that gay soccer sport where world championship are decided on a shoot-out. Spotting a runner on first would be more of a challenge and invite more strategy and less "luck".

What do you think?

I get that, but it shouldn't be like that gay soccer sport where world championship are decided on a shoot-out. Spotting a runner on first would be more of a challenge and invite more strategy and less "luck".
Luck gets the TV cameras back to regular programming sooner.

Trying to shorten the games I don't mind it. They still don't use replay correctly and often take 2 minutes or more viewing video of close plays to frame by frame, ultra close ups ultra slow motion and other nonsense they said they would NOT do. Replay reviews should be capped at 45 seconds and only overturn OBVIOUS wrong calls.

Yeah, this one had me baffled first time I saw it. I was like WTF, I didn’t see anyone get a hit.
So I rewound like 3 times to find that damn double! :lol:
The purpose is to increase the chances of scoring while decreasing the chance of 20 inning games.
Both college and pro football have made several changes in recent years with same goal in mind.
It has worked pretty well for MLB. Chances excellent that at least one team will score that guy from second.
Why not first? Second all but eliminates the double play.

Yeah, this one had me baffled first time I saw it. I was like WTF, I didn’t see anyone get a hit.
The purpose is to increase the chances of scoring while decreasing the chance of 20 inning games.
Both college and pro football have made several changes in recent years with same goal in mind.
It has worked pretty well for MLB. Chances excellent that at least one team will score that guy from second.
i get it, but the guy should go on first. It makes the game more intereiung, Can you imagine a world series with that rule.

i get it, but the guy should go on first. It makes the game more intereiung, Can you imagine a world series with that rule.
I’ve been studying closely. 80% of the time, the games now end by 12th inning.
This is good. Folks bring their kids to park & often they have school the next day.
So prior to the guy on second rule, there was a massive exodus at 11 PM.
Unsure of double play percentages with man on first, but I suspect 15-20% range.
Of course a steal of second or even a bunt to advance can be VERY exciting.
So ya, I get your point! ;)

Last edited:
This is good. Folks bring their kids to park & often they have school the next day.
Unsure of double play percentages with man on first, but I suspect 15-20% range.
With you being a resident idiot, frankly,that surprises me. Maybe politics is different.

We used to do that when my brother played baseball in little league. It was because it was often a school night.

There is no reason for MLB to do this.

To speed up the game they need to go back to TV basics before the massive rise in salaries started.

Sets a bad example. The man on second base didn't earn it. I agree on making the game speed up, but that idea is no good.

With you being a resident idiot, frankly,that surprises me. Maybe politics is different.
The ultimate comp from a Meathead!! ^ :lol:

What do you think?

I heard it was included in a series of COVID-related rule changes, but I think it'll stay to avoid 16-inning marathons. As a purist, it puts me off. I rarely watch baseball anymore because of the gimmicky rule changes.

Forum List

Back