"satan" in Judaism

"Satan" means "adversary" in Hebrew. It doesn't mean "Devil". It's not a proper name.

The "satan" of the Book of Job has no relation to the "Satan" that you are so afraid Katy Perry worships.

The Torah disagrees with you, Satan is clearly a Being, just like I am a Being, and you are a Being. God clearly has a conversation with this Being. You could throw 20,000 pages of Rabbinic literature to the contrary, it doesn't matter.

Given tat you are presuming to present what you claim is 'the Jewish view' - couldn't you have bothered to find an actual translation of the Hebrew Bible to quote? What would be best is something like the Mechon-Mamre interlineal version, so that one can compare the orginal language to the translation.

In fact, while 'ha-satan' is a being - it is more of a 'job description'. This is not at all problematic when one considers the Jewish concept of 'angels' as being 'thoughts' of GOD: any given angel exists only long enough to serve its intended purpose. A few are so important in function that they have been given names (all of which include a name of GOD)....

The 'yetzer ha-ra' is internal and separate from 'ha-satan': there is also a 'yetzer ha-tov'. Although they are called 'good' (tov) and 'evil' inclinations - they are not 'good' or 'evil' in the absolute. Let me try to illustrate - we might also call them 'altruism' and 'selfishness'.

If a person takes of his assets and gives so much to the poor that his own children go hungry - should that still be called 'good'?

If a person decides to build a house, plant a tree, or have a child - is that impulse 'evil'? The Jewish sages said those come from the yetzer ha-ra

Relating this a bit to the contemporary world: if I vote to support educational programs in my town, am I 'selfish' or 'generous'? Assuming the dear kidlets are kept busy with homework, they won't be traipsing about vandalizing property. And they will also be able to get better-paying jobs, and pay more in taxes - all of which will increase the price I can get for my home when I am ready to sell it.

Not necessarily. The Soton, the yetzer hora, the malakh hamoves are all the same thing. Also the Saneigor, the sitra achra, the baal davar, and the Samech Mem. So I've seen in seforim. They amount to the force that makes people do things they know to be wrong even though they know it intellectually. Sometimes they are externalized for dramatic purposes.

Last edited:
Knowledgeable Christians understand that Satan as you believe him to be, 2d Amendment, is not The Adversary of the Hebrew scriptures.

You are right on with much of what you wrote about the good and evil inclinations.
I will add that he Chasidic view is that the evil inclination is stronger than the good inclination.
Thus, we have the 613 commandments to weaken the evil inclination.
The evil inclination is needed as an "adversary," just like one needs a better tennis player to play with in order to improve one's tennis skills.
Don Levit

It's more like you need the YH in order to get schar.

I dont know that he ever claimed that. But many people do and he isn't only posting for Jews.

Yes, I have made that claim, and I am in upbringing, and many of its customs and practices.

That being being said, I a m not rigid, nor part of the Zionist branch of the Hasidic lines.

Also, when I read the New Testament, I find it difficult to believe that Jesus was not a Prophet. Muslims hold Jesus in the same regard, a great Prophet, but not the son of god. That is my own personal belief and adaption to the Scriptures, which is obviously not in line with Hasidim.

That being said, you're the must morally bankrupt person I've ever met online, so it doesn't matter what faith you claim to be or have.

-------------------------------------

Furthermore, Jesus uses and QUOTES the OLD TESTAMENT to overcome Satan, which is why this chapter is firmly in my mind.

You do understand that Jews don't believe in Satan, right? If, as you say, you are "in training" as a Hasid, you might want to discuss your obsession with "satanists" with your Rebbe.

On that subject, I asked you almost a year ago what Hasidic dynasty you considered yourself part of - which you still haven't answered.

I point this out not because it matters, but only because it's evidence of how little you actually understand about what you claim to be, and how full of shit you are about this and nearly every other topic you discuss. It's fairly clear from watching you post that you don't actually have the slightest idea what Hasidic Judaism is about. (I'm guessing you read an article that mentioned that some Hasidim are not Zionists, so you decided that you "are" one just from that)

What individuals believe, and what their parent religion teaches are often quite different things. Judaism 'believes in Satan' but in the sense that Satan in Tanach (aka OT) is an angel of G-d's, and not the devil Catholicism later twisted it into.

I've written at length about how every religion has two main versions, the actual Scriptural version, and the pop culture version. The pop culture version being how the generic religion is depicted in movies and spread by word of mouth. Unfortunately, how movies depict Christianity or Judaism ir Islam is often Scripturally inaccurate. But the inaccuracies are never challenged or refuted so tend to become part of what people believe the religion's about. Hence, Scriptural vs Pop Culture religion. Much of what gets discussed here and on other dicussion sites is just the inaccurate pop culture theology. Anyone can flip open a religion's holy text and verify what is or isn't actually part of the religion.

The Jews do not believe in Satan as Satan in the Christians sense, either Catholic or Protestant or independent forms.

Forum List

Back