Saluting the President

“The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States,
and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United
States . . . .” U.S. Const. art. I, § 2, cl. 1.

I guess whether the President is Commander in Chief partially depends on how much one believes that the US Constitution is a living document and whether interpretation of its intent means just as much as its words? Its writers clearly gives the President command over our land and sea military branches. If we're to take the Constitution literally then aren't the Air Foce and new Space Force somewhere outside that box?

“The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States,
and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United
States . . . .” U.S. Const. art. I, § 2, cl. 1.

I guess whether the President is Commander in Chief partially depends on how much one believes that the US Constitution is a living document and whether interpretation of its intent means just as much as its words? Its writers clearly gives the President command over our land and sea military branches. If we're to take the Constitution literally then aren't the Air Foce and new Space Force somewhere outside that box?
An excellent observation. This is what happens when law-makers are too timid or too stupid to reread old and primitive words and bring them up-to-date. The most obvious is the 2nd. amendment which ought to be either scrapped or amended ...... and now you've pointed out another example.

Forum List

Back