Saluting the President

It doesn't really matter what the codified UCMJ thinks. I do not stand for the national anthym or for the raising of the flag and I damn sure don't put my hand on my heart. That's what really matters.
It takes intelligence to understand the conversation. Way to highlight your lack of it.
It takes intelligence and/or guts to make your own way. Standing up when you're told to requires neither.

You don't want to do any of that, then don't come whining when you end doing a lot of bleeding.
I'll be 74 before this month is finished, sonny boy, and I have seen more real blood than you've seen on TV and video games combined. Now step aside before I hurt your feelings again. :spank:

You're lucky that LT didn't go to your CO and have you up for disciplinary action. Which you would have richly deserved …
My CO would have told him to stick it up his rectum and mind his own business. We were in the business of staying alive, not playing Dick & Jane with new-arrivals.
… who the fuck do you think you are?
A veteran in a war zone, that’s who. There were more than a few ”butter ball” first and second loueys who took a bullet in the back. You can feel sorry for them if you want but taking down one to save a dozen is a good investment and it strengthens the bond between the men who really matter.
In the military you don't get to decide when you will follow orders, customs, and courtesies and when you don't.
But you do get to decide in what direction you aim when you pull the trigger. New arrivals (no matter what rank) had to follow our lead, not the other way around. If they tried to buck the system they'd have trouble making it out alive. Learn quick ... or else.
You are entitled to your opinion,…
That’s right … and I just did.
… but when in uniform you damn well better do as you're told or face the consequences.
Bull crappy. That patty-cake stuff applies to the pussy boys with their brown noses up the buttocks of the dress-greens. Anyway, I told you what I did and the "consequences" if you can't handle that it's your problem. It certainly isn't mine. If you didn't learn anything from what I told you then you just carry on in the cloud. Do you think I'm going to argue with you over something you don't understand? :auiqs.jpg:
"most definitely, civilians saluting the flag w/national anthem (or hand on heart) at sporting events should be banned"

There's probably another thread about this somewhere, but I think anyone who refuses to show respect for the flag or the anthem should be put on a boat or plane and sent off to their desired location elsewhere with a one-way ticket.
You must be about 18 years-old with a stack of Joan Wayne videos within ear-shot of your mother (or the equivalent), just in case life gets too complicated for you. :eusa_boohoo:

You're full of shit. I doubt if you are even old enough to have served in Vietnam, not with your attitude. Shooting somebody in the back, really? Happened all the time, did it? Bullshit. My guess is, the closest you ever got to Vietnam was watching reruns of Tour of Duty. And it's JOHN Wayne you dumbfuck.

You're full of shit. I doubt if you are even old enough to have served in Vietnam, not with your attitude. Shooting somebody in the back, really? Happened all the time, did it? Bullshit. My guess is, the closest you ever got to Vietnam was watching reruns of Tour of Duty. And it's JOHN Wayne you dumbfuck.
So I kicked your ass and your best response is to call me a liar. :auiqs.jpg:
You poor, underachieving idiot. :itsok:

What's the deal with the soldiers who are in the President's military entourage saluting him? And him saluting back?

I realize that he is the Commander in Chief (not really - only in time of war), but to me it seems entirely inappropriate for people in civilian clothes saluting uniformed military personnel, or vice versa.

I don't think salutes are appropriate either way. They should stand respectfully at attention, and he can acknowledge them verbally if he feels the urge to do so, but the President is not a soldier. That is one privilege s/he is not entitled to.

The president rates a salute.

What's the deal with the soldiers who are in the President's military entourage saluting him? And him saluting back?

I realize that he is the Commander in Chief (not really - only in time of war), but to me it seems entirely inappropriate for people in civilian clothes saluting uniformed military personnel, or vice versa.

I don't think salutes are appropriate either way. They should stand respectfully at attention, and he can acknowledge them verbally if he feels the urge to do so, but the President is not a soldier. That is one privilege s/he is not entitled to.

Any/every president or just some but not others?

1616289636421.png

1616289840101.png

Seems to be a thing.

The President IS in the Military. He's the Commander in Charge even in the bathroom but please don't expect him to stand and salute if he's taking a #2. It's a show of respect and all Presidents should pay that respect.

Seems to be a thing.
It IS a thing. Saluting the president is required when in uniform no matter what your rank is, generals down to privates. It is also rendered to the Vice President and the Sec'y of Defense, both of which are civilians who are elected or appointed to provide civilian control over the military branches. Normally, military members do not salute civilians, but in these cases it is meant to show the acceptance of civilian oversight and control of our armed forces. Failure to do so is considered a punishable offense under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

The salute isn't simply an honor exchanged; it's a privileged gesture of respect and trust among military members. Remember: The salute is not only prescribed by regulation, but is also recognition of each other's commitment, abilities and professionalism.

The salute is widely misunderstood outside the military. Some consider it to be a gesture of servility since the junior extends a salute to the senior, but this interpretation isn't true at all. The salute is an expression that recognizes each other as a member of the profession of arms -- that they have made a personal commitment of self-sacrifice to preserve the American way of life. The fact that the junior extends the greeting first is merely a point of etiquette -- a salute extended or returned makes the same statement.

Note that a salute is not necessarily a sign of honor and respect for an individual, but instead is such for the office or rank held. There were some who did not respect Trump when he was the CiC, nor Obama before him, but nevertheless a salute to either one or to a senior officer is/was mandatory.

I might add, military members in uniform MUST stand and salute the flag, and the national anthem when it is played. You do not salute when in civvies, but you're expected to put you hand over your heart as a sign of honor and respect.

Last edited:
The practice of the President saluting the military started with Ronald Reagan. He saluted them as a token of respect. Prior to that no president saluted the military.

I said "the president". Right? That means every president. When the troops salute the president, they're saluting the title, the office, the rank per se, not the person. It's a sign of respect for the office, not the person.

So yes, every president.

The President IS in the Military. He's the Commander in Charge even in the bathroom but please don't expect him to stand and salute if he's taking a #2. It's a show of respect and all Presidents should pay that respect.

You don't salute indoors anyway, unless you're reporting to a commanding officer.

You don't salute indoors anyway, unless you're reporting to a commanding officer.

And the President is the CO of all COs. Although I haven't seen a lot of salutes indoors to a President.

And the President is the CO of all COs. Although I haven't seen a lot of salutes indoors to a President.

Ive never seen a hand salute to a president, indoors. Probably because you don't salute indoors, unless you're reporting to an officer.

Just because the military might not be “at war” doesn’t mean there’s no need for someone to be the commander in chief of it. There are still orders from the top handed out on a daily basis whether there’s conflict or not

I've seen movies where (mostly) Army personnel salute without a cap and salute indoors. I'm no expert on Army regs but my experience in the Marines was that you only salute with head gear on and only salute indoors while under arms (with a duty belt). Interesting to note is that I recall Marine regulations that said you only salute commanding officers once a day while aboard ship. The fingers are extended and joined and the thumb is held against the index finger and not folded into the palm. Trump did it right and Hussein didn't have a clue.

I said "the president". Right? That means every president. When the troops salute the president, they're saluting the title, the office, the rank per se, not the person. It's a sign of respect for the office, not the person.

So yes, every president.
Was DiNero saluting when he said, "Fuck Trump!"?

I've seen movies where (mostly) Army personnel salute without a cap and salute indoors. I'm no expert on Army regs but my experience in the Marines was that you only salute with head gear on and only salute indoors while under arms (with a duty belt). Interesting to note is that I recall Marine regulations that said you only salute commanding officers once a day while aboard ship. The fingers are extended and joined and the thumb is held against the index finger and not folded into the palm. Trump did it right and Hussein didn't have a clue.
You are absolutely right about saluting "indoors" and wearing a "cover" but Hollywood doesn't give a shit.

So yes, every president.
Was DiNero saluting when he said, "Fuck Trump!"?

Dinero couldn't salute the steam off Trump's shit.

Forum List

Back