Russian Ruble collapses

If the future is characterized by a new Cold War, where the West blockades Russia from financing, why would the Russian government care about defaulting on their debts?

Putin just signed a new law that creates a duplicate cashless payment system to Visa and MasterCard, which have been processing 90% of cashless payments in Russia. They're developing their own credit companies, in response to recent actions by American companies.

All of our actions are forcing Russia to become more self-reliant. In the long run, that might be a good thing for Russia.

Which is fine by me as a secure Russia is a less belligerent one and BTW, I foresee no return to the Cold War. Default would make it impossible for Russia to borrow money and cashless system merely replaces currency in domestic transactions. Their economy still requires bank credits and Russia's soft currency (rubles) is increasingly worthless on the international market. Russia needs to sell oil to gain hard currency like the dollar which they need to function internationally. It's just not practical for them to withdraw from the world.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, a major drop in oil prices was a major factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

African slaves built New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles? I had no idea that they did that.
It gets worse:ack-1:
"Construction on the President’s House began in 1792 in Washington, D.C., a new capital situated in sparsely settled region far from a major population center.

"The decision to place the capital on land ceded by two slave states–Virginia and Maryland–ultimately influenced the acquisition of laborers to construct its public buildings.

"The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African Americans – slave and free – to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.

I'll bet you're proud.

White House History Timelines 8250 African Americans

It seemed like just ystrdy that USMB's eXtreme Right wing contingent was :eusa_drool: over this pic:

Yh5mrEt.jpg

If I remember correctly, a major drop in oil prices was a major factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Indeed and hopefully the memory is fresh enough to have Russia gracefully back away from Ukraine.

African slaves built New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles? I had no idea that they did that.
"Construction on the President’s House began in 1792 in Washington, D.C., a new capital situated in sparsely settled region far from a major population center.

"The decision to place the capital on land ceded by two slave states–Virginia and Maryland–ultimately influenced the acquisition of laborers to construct its public buildings.

"The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African Americans – slave and free – to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.

I'll bet you're proud.

African slaves built New York City
"Slavery in New York began when the Dutch West India Company imported 11 African slaves to New Amsterdam in 1626, with the first slave auction being held in New Amsterdam in 1655. The British expanded the use of slavery, and in 1703, more than 42 percent of New York City households held slaves, often as domestic servants and laborers. Others worked as artisans or in shipping and various trades in the city. Slaves were also used in farming on Long Island and in other locations of the state."
History of slavery in New York - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

African slaves built New York City
"Slavery in New York began when the Dutch West India Company imported 11 African slaves to New Amsterdam in 1626, with the first slave auction being held in New Amsterdam in 1655. The British expanded the use of slavery, and in 1703, more than 42 percent of New York City households held slaves, often as domestic servants and laborers. Others worked as artisans or in shipping and various trades in the city. Slaves were also used in farming on Long Island and in other locations of the state."
History of slavery in New York - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I guess I was wrong. Nothing there about slaves building New York City. Of course this started as "living in a capitalist terror state built on the backs of African slaves." So far, DC was built by labor from some slave and free African Americans. That is a long ways from slaves building a capitalist terror STATE.

Last edited:

I'll bet you're proud.

Only of some of them. "soon they turned to African Americans – slave and free"

If the future is characterized by a new Cold War, where the West blockades Russia from financing, why would the Russian government care about defaulting on their debts?

Putin just signed a new law that creates a duplicate cashless payment system to Visa and MasterCard, which have been processing 90% of cashless payments in Russia. They're developing their own credit companies, in response to recent actions by American companies.

All of our actions are forcing Russia to become more self-reliant. In the long run, that might be a good thing for Russia.

Which is fine by me as a secure Russia is a less belligerent one and BTW, I foresee no return to the Cold War...
It's just not practical for them to withdraw from the world.

It is what it is. Russia is being sanctioned, so Putin is changing the rules of the game.

Putin just cut gas supplies to the EU.
Europe plunged into energy crisis as Russia cuts off gas supply via Ukraine Daily Mail Online

Russia's biggest partner is Holland. They export gas, and have partnerships with Shell and Phillips (electronics). Putin has been buying out Shell.
Russia's 2nd largest trade partner is China and that seems so far undisturbed.

As far as domestic manufacturing goes, Russia is going to become more self reliant, and try to hold an entente with the industrial heartland which is eastern Ukraine.

Overnight, Europe's energy prices have risen. Now is when Saudi Arabia could make a move for EU oil markets. The caveat there; can Saudi Arabia keep ISIS out and avoid the Arab Spring chaos that has stricken Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt, Palestine, and elsewhere?
Can Saudi Arabia keep ISIS out - CBS News

Forum List

Back