Rush is back!

Libs were all talking about him being fired from Cumulus because of him losing advertisers. Now we find that he was considering leaving, not the other way around.

If Limbaugh does leave Cumulus, I would bet Beck and Hannity won't be far behind.

It may be a moot point since advertising revenue is back and stronger than ever.

Fatboy can spin this all day, but the fact that the biggest radio company in the country is considering dropping him because advertisers don't want their products associated with his show says a lot.

Radio is a fickle business. Just ask Dr. Laura. She used to have one of the biggest talk shows. So did Howard Stern.

Like Rush or not, Rush transformed AM radio. I haven't listened to him for years, yet when I listen to any talk radio, political or sports, I realize where credit for these formats came from. That you can't change. He has been king of the air since the 80's, I don't understand it, but people need to figure it out and duplicate, so far no one else has done better for so long.

The point of having a radio show is to make money. Limbaugh makes 50 million/year, Beck 10, Hannity makes 20 from radio and another 15 from TV. Al Franken (remember him?) makes $174,000.

Al Franken doesn't have a radio show.

But back to the premise, I did radio shows for over 20 years and my objective was never "to make money". It was to put something worthwhile on the air. To do something for the listener, not for myself.

After all, the airwaves, from the beginning of broadcasting, have been considered to be owned by us the people. And broadcast licenses have been granted (again, by us the people) "to serve the public interest, convenience and necessity". A radio or TV station is supposed to be a servant, not a parasite.

Finally, if we conversely do accept the premise that the purpose of having a radio show is to make money, then that makes all of its content absolutely meaningless. In which case, what the hell does it matter what Limblob's ratings are? Either the show is to make money or else it's ideology. Can't have it both ways.

Franken had a show on AirAmerica and did not do well, in fact AirAmerica as a whole failed miserably.

I simply disagree with your premise, many people do both, make money and uphold their ideology, the fact you weren't able to do so is more a reflection on you.

The point of having a radio show is to make money. Limbaugh makes 50 million/year, Beck 10, Hannity makes 20 from radio and another 15 from TV. Al Franken (remember him?) makes $174,000.

But back to the premise, I did radio shows for over 20 years and my objective was never "to make money". It was to put something worthwhile on the air. To do something for the listener, not for myself.

After all, the airwaves, from the beginning of broadcasting, have been considered to be owned by us the people. And broadcast licenses have been granted (again, by us the people) "to serve the public interest, convenience and necessity". A radio or TV station is supposed to be a servant, not a parasite.

Finally, if we conversely do accept the premise that the purpose of having a radio show is to make money, then that makes all of its content absolutely meaningless. In which case, what the hell does it matter what Limblob's ratings are? Either the show is to make money or else it's ideology. Can't have it both ways.

Franken had a show on AirAmerica and did not do well, in fact AirAmerica as a whole failed miserably.

I simply disagree with your premise, many people do both, make money and uphold their ideology, the fact you weren't able to do so is more a reflection on you.

I didn't put ideology on the air, dumb fuck. News flash: there's more on the radio than that crap.

Radio is not a business where you make money. Unless you're doing something outrageous, but then what's the point? That's self-indulgent. The difference is, I can
point to what I've done on the air with pride, forever. What I gave my listeners doesn't have a dollar value. Perhaps that's too deep for the superficial to understand.

Air America-- again, we've already covered this but Air America went out of business a few years ago (after Franken had already left) and its talent went on to do the same thing under other syndicators, where they're still on the air today. See post 32. What you're obsessed with is a single business that was mismanaged and failed. Kind of like saying "Studebaker went out of business, and that proves there's no future for cars".

Libs were all talking about him being fired from Cumulus because of him losing advertisers. Now we find that he was considering leaving, not the other way around.

If Limbaugh does leave Cumulus, I would bet Beck and Hannity won't be far behind.

It may be a moot point since advertising revenue is back and stronger than ever.

Fatboy can spin this all day, but the fact that the biggest radio company in the country is considering dropping him because advertisers don't want their products associated with his show says a lot.

Radio is a fickle business. Just ask Dr. Laura. She used to have one of the biggest talk shows. So did Howard Stern.

Like Rush or not, Rush transformed AM radio. I haven't listened to him for years, yet when I listen to any talk radio, political or sports, I realize where credit for these formats came from. That you can't change. He has been king of the air since the 80's, I don't understand it, but people need to figure it out and duplicate, so far no one else has done better for so long.

"Better" depends on what your value of measurement is. If it's simply a self-indulgent onanism about how much money you can suck out of the public pocket by charging "confiscatory ad rates" (Limblob's description), then yes, no question, he's the king. Of that.

OTOH if you have a talk format that directly influences public discourse and you fail to serve that discussion, and on the contrary pollute it with Slutgate in pursuit of your own self-interest.... then not so much.

Again, it depends on what your values are; the public interest or the single person's private profit.

I didn't put ideology on the air, dumb fuck. News flash: there's more on the radio than that crap.

Radio is not a business where you make money. Unless you're doing something outrageous, but then what's the point? That's self-indulgent. The difference is, I can
point to what I've done on the air with pride, forever. What I gave my listeners doesn't have a dollar value. Perhaps that's too deep for the superficial to understand.

Air America-- again, we've already covered this but Air America went out of business a few years ago (after Franken had already left) and its talent went on to do the same thing under other syndicators, where they're still on the air today. See post 32. What you're obsessed with is a single business that was mismanaged and failed. Kind of like saying "Studebaker went out of business, and that proves there's no future for cars".

Good for you! Glad you did something you can take pride in, if it makes you feel good, fine by me.

I'm not obsessed with AirAmerica, I listened to it, it was good but I was not obsessed with it. Franken's ratings were terrible and that is why he left. I listen to Rhodes and Miller and I am familiar with their work. Rhodes though, is a very bitter person.

So your analogy with the Studebaker, makes you sound like a real pious dumb fuck.

Oh and Pogo, have a great day.

Sadly, to you, it would.

Lets see. A shock jock who has strippers on his program during drive time gets more money than he could have ever possibly imagined, and thats a bad thing?

No wonder you suck at business.

Depends on why he went into the business.

Frankly, what's the point of having a radiio show if no one listens to you because the technology sucks?

Oh, incidently, I'm not the one who crashed the fucking economy. That would be YOUR industry.

And you're a bigot.

Any more non sequiturs you wish to dive into?

Good for you! Glad you did something you can take pride in, if it makes you feel good, fine by me.

I'm not obsessed with AirAmerica, I listened to it, it was good but I was not obsessed with it. Franken's ratings were terrible and that is why he left. I listen to Rhodes and Miller and I am familiar with their work. Rhodes though, is a very bitter person.

So your analogy with the Studebaker, makes you sound like a real pious dumb fuck.

I'm not the one who jumped to baseless conclusions about what somebody else did on the air, dumb fuck.

Now then, since Air America is in the past and its talent is in the present, what's the point of bringing it up? Not that I think it's a worthwhile format for anyone but the talent that was on Air America survives just fine on Premiere and Dial Global, so what's the point?

By the way, talent doesn't leave the air because of low ratings, and nor did Franken. Talent stays on the air as long as it can; management is the entity that watches the ratings and hires and fires the talent. Franken quit to run for the Senate. Rhodes left in a contract dispute.

So what is your point?

I'm not the one who jumped to baseless conclusions about what somebody else did on the air, dumb fuck.

Now then, since Air America is in the past and its talent is in the present, what's the point of bringing it up? Not that I think it's a worthwhile format for anyone but the talent that was on Air America survives just fine on Premiere and Dial Global, so what's the point?

By the way, talent doesn't leave the air because of low ratings, and nor did Franken. Talent stays on the air as long as it can; management is the entity that watches the ratings and hires and fires the talent. Franken quit to run for the Senate. Rhodes left in a contract dispute.

So what is your point?

Ok moron, you mentioned Franken didn't have a radio show, I stated he used to, that's why I mentioned it. I didn't realize you would forget what you wrote.

Miller was worth listening to Franken was very boring, sorry he was tough to listen to and he left because of poor ratings. Franken didn't quit for a Senate run, his last show was in January of 2007, but you tried to put a nice spin on it.

Again, I'm glad you did something that makes you feel important, it seems important to you to feel that way.

So what is your point?

Ok moron, you mentioned Franken didn't have a radio show, I stated he used to, that's why I mentioned it. I didn't realize you would forget what you wrote.

Miller was worth listening to Franken was very boring, sorry he was tough to listen to and he left because of poor ratings. Franken didn't quit for a Senate run, his last show was in January of 2007, but you tried to put a nice spin on it.

Again, I'm glad you did something that makes you feel important, it seems important to you to feel that way.

No. Talent does not leave because of ratings. Ratings matter only to management. Talent goes on the air and does its thing, and hangs on as long as it can. Franken left so he could run for Senate (which was the following year). As far as his ratings, even the Moonie Times says he was the most popular host on the network.

But of course if you've got evidence rather than ipse dixit, bring it on.

You'll be happy to know that Miller's still on the air. So are Ed Schultz, Thom Hartmann and whoever else.

Last edited:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

It is generally a mistake to take Pogo seriously.

He takes himself seriously. Need more proof?

Actually.... yeah.

Got any substance to go with that fluff?
Or even.... a point?

Yeah, since this is my field of business I do think I know what the hell I'm talking about.
Is that a problem?

Last edited:
Oh i agree, but he is often represented that way, and often represents himself that way. I suppose it more so bothers me how popular he is, and how strong of an influence he has on some conservative populations. As a former journalist, the quality and style of his reporting is also rather irritating given the low quality and standards he utilizes mixed with the emotive sensationalism. The same goes for "journalists" like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck (on the conservative side, there are plenty of liberal examples as well). We deserve better and it is disappointing that so many people get drawn into their rubbish.

^^^^
Clearly, a liberal claiming to be a Republican. Probably hates America too.

OK, so let's sum up: to criticize a radio blowhard who lives on ad hominem and misogyny and pisses on the idea of ethical journalism is to "hate America". Because America is all about ad hominem and misogyny and pissing on the idea of ethical journalism.

Is that about it?

Profit aside, the purpose of political commentary is to stir up people; to present news and views. Limbaugh pisses you off and Franken pissed me off. I spent many hours driving around listening to Al Franken. Randi Rhodes and before that, Ed Kotch, mostly shouting back at their inane drivel but mostly to hear how the opposition framed issues.

I saw Franken Rhodes and Kotch as blowhards who lived on ad hominem and logical fallacy who pissed on, not only ethical journalism but also the truth.

It is, after all, about perception and core values.
Yours and mine are at odds. I accept that. Can you?

So what is your point?

No. Talent does not leave because of ratings. Ratings matter only to management. Talent goes on the air and does its thing, and hangs on as long as it can. Franken left so he could run for Senate (which was the following year). As far as his ratings, even the Moonie Times says he was the most popular host on the network.

You'll be happy to know that Miller's still on the air. So are Ed Schultz, Thom Hartmann and whoever else.

If you need to believe he left in January 2007 to run for the Senate, then go right ahead, you need a lot of reinforcement of your feelings.

I already know they are on the air, I listen to Stephanie and Thom, I also know Ed is on the air but I don't listen to him. I find it interesting that you feel the need to be superior and let me know who is on the air. Like I wouldn't know. I was one of the 10 people that listened to AirAmerica. I also listen to Wilkow, The Herd, Mike and Mike, Levin, and whoever else, just depends on my mood.

^^^^
Clearly, a liberal claiming to be a Republican. Probably hates America too.

OK, so let's sum up: to criticize a radio blowhard who lives on ad hominem and misogyny and pisses on the idea of ethical journalism is to "hate America". Because America is all about ad hominem and misogyny and pissing on the idea of ethical journalism.

Is that about it?

Profit aside, the purpose of political commentary is to stir up people; to present news and views. Limbaugh pisses you off and Franken pissed me off. I spent many hours driving around listening to Al Franken. Randi Rhodes and before that, Ed Kotch, mostly shouting back at their inane drivel but mostly to hear how the opposition framed issues.

I saw Franken Rhodes and Kotch as blowhards who lived on ad hominem and logical fallacy who pissed on, not only ethical journalism but also the truth.

It is, after all, about perception and core values.
Yours and mine are at odds. I accept that. Can you?

Actually Ernie, given the above I don't think we're that far apart. I don't see the ad hominem approach as constructive for any side, so if that's what you're saying, I agree.

I just think it's a mistake to consider somebody making "confiscatory ad rates" by employing that model, as "success". That's the only value I take issue with. Because I see it as prostitution.

No, Al Franken doesn't have a radio show, but he did. He was the flagship of a disastrous experiment in failed Liberal commentary. The only good thing about Franke's show was that you didn't have to sit on hold for 2 hours to get to speak to him.
I'm going to call bullshit here on your motives in radio! Altruism only goes so far. You did radio for a pay check. You are no longer doing radio because there is no money in Liberal commentary.

How does a profit motive make content meaningless? The content is what makes Limbaugh profitable and what sank the ship at Air America.

If you need to believe he left in January 2007 to run for the Senate, then go right ahead, you need a lot of reinforcement of your feelings.

I already know they are on the air, I listen to Stephanie and Thom, I also know Ed is on the air but I don't listen to him. I find it interesting that you feel the need to be superior and let me know who is on the air. Like I wouldn't know. I was one of the 10 people that listened to AirAmerica. I also listen to Wilkow, The Herd, Mike and Mike, Levin, and whoever else, just depends on my mood.

Again, you proposed this idea, you back it up. Where's your evidence that Al Franken, unlike everybody who's ever been on the air doing anything, left his job because of his own ratings? Even with the top ratings for the network? Where is it?

And I told you about Stephanie Miller because you put here in the past tense. It's sitting right above: "Miller was worth listening to". This tells me you don't seem to be aware she's still there. So sue me.

Last edited:

No, idiot! Studebaker went out of business for the same reason Air America did. There was no market for their PRODUCT.

They stubbornly continued to produce a product no one wanted.

Again, you proposed this idea, you back it up. Where's your evidence that Al Franken, unlike everybody who's ever been on the air doing anything, left his job because of his own ratings? Even with the top ratings for the network? Where is it?

And I told you about Stephanie Miller because you put here in the past tense. It's sitting right above: "Miller was worth listening to". This tells me you don't seem to be aware she's still there. So sue me.

My, my, my, Franken and Air America agreed to part ways, he didn't like his ratings, Air America didn't like his ratings.

I said "was" because I was using it in the context of Air America, which used to be, but is now gone.

We done now?

No, Al Franken doesn't have a radio show, but he did. He was the flagship of a disastrous experiment in failed Liberal commentary. The only good thing about Franke's show was that you didn't have to sit on hold for 2 hours to get to speak to him.

Ernie, you just made the false comparison between the salaries of Limblob and Hannity and Beck, salaries from media, with Franken's salary from the Senate. That's why I called bullshit with a single sentence. You're pulling apples and oranges.

I'm going to call bullshit here on your motives in radio! Altruism only goes so far. You did radio for a pay check. You are no longer doing radio because there is no money in Liberal commentary.

Once again, what planet do you people live on that you think the only thing on the air is liberal or conservative commentary?? I've never done commentary on the air, ever. In fact I went out of my way to make sure our stations didn't. What I did was cultural. And enriching. As far as a paycheck, I quit because it wasn't enough. Trust me, you don't go into radio to make money, any more than you go into teaching to make money.

How does a profit motive make content meaningless? The content is what makes Limbaugh profitable and what sank the ship at Air America.

Because they're mutually antagonistic. It's how audience psychology works. Listeners/viewers are not attracted in large masses by valuable content. They're attracted by the bizarre, the outrageous, the dramatic, the scandalous. Conflict, pain and suffering, fear and loathing. Limblob certainly understands this and always did-- that's the basis of his whole career.

Ideology isn't what sank Air America-- bad business management is. That's why I keep pointing out that the talent they employed, with their ideology, are still on the air today.

Again, to connect to the point above, ideology isn't what sells. Drama is what sells. Regardless of the content. If you present material that's intellectual and enriching, you're not going to make money. That's why we have public broadcasting. That's why William F. Buckley needed PBS to carry his TV show. On the other hand if you do want to make money on the air, then you sit and yell "slut" for three days.

Last edited:

So what is your point?

Rhodes left (was fired) for calling Geraldine Ferraro a whore.

Randi Rhodes on March 22 said:
Geraldine Ferraro turned out to be the David Duke in drag ... What a whore Geraldine Ferraro is! She's such a fucking whore! I wanna see her have to stand beside her husband at one of those mandatory 'I have sinned against you; I'm a whore' kind of a press conference. Mr. Ferraro should have to stand next to his whore of a wife ... Hillary is a big fucking whore, too. You know why she's a big fucking whore? Because her deal is always, 'Read the fine print, asshole!

Forum List

Back