Ron Paul: Federal Response To Hurricane Unnecessary

Who says that gubmint is the only source for helping others?

Who says that nobody outside the affected states will come in to help?

This isn’t ca 1800 – it’s not where you and other farmers go the fight your neighbor’s barn fire. As noted in post 51, there are technical specialties unique to Federal emergency response, in additional to Federal coordination. A chaotic, uncoordinated response would not only fail to address the crisis, but may actually make the situation worse.

It’s the 21st Century – past time to deal with that fact.

Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

First Read - Ron Paul: No FEMA response necessary

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.

Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

"I know you've paid taxes all your life, but you know what? Fuck you! That FEMA you've been funding for years? I think NOW would be a good time to just close them up, right after YOU get hit by a disaster. BTW, FUCK YOU!" - Ron Paul

People who donate to outfits like Red Cross.

People like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, who stepped in with tools and supplies after Katrina and Rita.

Much as you'd like to think otherwise, there are lots of folks completely willing to lend a hand to people who are really in need.

Red Cross busts budget on Vt. flooding - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Red Cross Disaster Fund Is Depleted

The American Red Cross said yesterday that it has depleted its national disaster relief fund and is taking out loans to pay for shelters, food and other relief services across seven Midwestern states battered by floods.

"The disaster relief fund today is completely depleted. The balance is zero," Jeffrey Towers, chief development officer, said in a conference call with reporters.

Towers added that the Red Cross "needs immediate funds to deploy in a variety of ways to provide the scale of services that this disaster demands."

So Oddball, are you going to address the elephant in the room that you wish to ignore?

You know, here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...e-to-hurricane-unnecessary-4.html#post4062661.

Red Cross was one example of three I gave....There are certainly more than those few different sources who would help people truly in need.

Even after all this time, you're really not that good at this.

Turds like Paul have no clue.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror. FEMA can trace its beginnings to the Congressional Act of 1803. This act, generally considered the first piece of disaster legislation, provided assistance to a New Hampshire town following an extensive fire. In the century that followed, ad hoc legislation was passed more than 100 times in response to hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters.

FEMA: FEMA History

Red Cross was one example of three I gave....There are certainly more than those few different sources who would help people truly in need.

And there are plenty others who are depleted. You're referring to relief programs and private charities. Last I checked, Wal-Mart is neither of those. They may donate a few tools, but you honestly expect them to be able to cover the rest of the burden when the Red Cross among others is maxed out?

Like I said before, you want to make policy on the basis of what goes on in the perfect world. The rest of us will be operating on what goes on in the real world.

After all this time, you seem to be getting worse at this. The Oddball of old would have a better response than the weak response you call a post.

The cost of each state trying to maintain adequate resources to handle a dozen major types of disasters in a timely fashion would be far more expensive and inefficient than FEMA.
Yeah...Like the federal gubmint is the model of efficiency and cost effectiveness.

Bloody comedic gold. :lol:
Believe it or not there are certain functions that should be done at the federal level. Centralization of certain functions save money. McDonald's would not have a dietitian a every restaurant. Likewise it makes no sense to duplicate a disaster recovery organization, which would be rarely used in every state.

This isn’t ca 1800 – it’s not where you and other farmers go the fight your neighbor’s barn fire. As noted in post 51, there are technical specialties unique to Federal emergency response, in additional to Federal coordination. A chaotic, uncoordinated response would not only fail to address the crisis, but may actually make the situation worse.

It’s the 21st Century – past time to deal with that fact.
Strawman argument.

You'll have one hell of an uphill battle if you're trying to argue that the feds are any sort of model of efficiency and coordination.

The cost of each state trying to maintain adequate resources to handle a dozen major types of disasters in a timely fashion would be far more expensive and inefficient than FEMA.
Yeah...Like the federal gubmint is the model of efficiency and cost effectiveness.

Bloody comedic gold. :lol:
Believe it or not there are certain functions that should be done at the federal level. Centralization of certain functions save money. McDonald's would not have a dietitian a every restaurant. Likewise it makes no sense to duplicate a disaster recovery organization, which would be rarely used in every state.
Yet another strawman argument...Your opinion of what "should" be done at the federal level is irrelevant.

People like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, who stepped in with tools and supplies after Katrina and Rita.

Wal Mart and Home Depot are not real people.

I was in Bogalusa a few days after the storm. The cops there told us some people were running out of food, diapers, etc. - and that they had plenty of money to buy those things - but couldn't - because the fucking WAL MART was closed

That being said...

Wal-Mart employees arrived so early in the disaster area that they often wound up running their own relief efforts. "If the federal government would have responded as quickly as Wal-Mart, we could have saved more lives," says Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee. "FEMA executives were there, but they didn't do anything. They weren't up and running for four or five days." In one case, he says, FEMA actually made things more difficult for the retailer. Wal-Mart sent three trailer trucks with water to a FEMA compound. "Much to my dismay, FEMA turned them away," Lee says. "They said they didn't need it.... [Wal-Mart] ended up giving the water directly to us." A FEMA spokeswoman disputes Lee's account.

Harry Lee is telling the truth.

If I recall correctly, Wal Marts contributions in financial terms was more than 10 times higher than EXXONs - despite the fact Exxon is a more local company than Wal Mart. So fuck Exxon, go Wal Mart.

Last edited:

And there are plenty others who are depleted. You're referring to relief programs and private charities. Last I checked, Wal-Mart is neither of those. They may donate a few tools, but you honestly expect them to be able to cover the rest of the burden when the Red Cross among others is maxed out?

Like I said before, you want to make policy on the basis of what goes on in the perfect world. The rest of us will be operating on what goes on in the real world.

After all this time, you seem to be getting worse at this. The Oddball of old would have a better response than the weak response you call a post.
I don't want to make any policy, s0n....Let alone any made on the basis of your "this isn't a perfect world" strawman argument.

Libertarians are the first people to tell you that perfection isn't an option...A shame that know-it-all college boys like you didn't get the memo.

Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.

Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

Katrina. That's the way conservatives deal.

1800 people dead..and they are like..IT'S YOUR FAULT NOT OURS!

:lol:

Thanks, Ray Nagin!
ca4.PNG

I don't want to make any policy, s0n....Let alone any made on the basis of your "this isn't a perfect world" strawman argument.

Libertarians are the first people to tell you that perfection isn't an option...A shame that know-it-all college boys like you didn't get the memo.

:lol: You say you don't want to make any policy but you clearly want to change the current laws in some aspect. So yes, you do want to make policy.

I enjoy how much my posts must be getting to you if you're trying to resort to the age card. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Anyone here can see how ridiculous your posts are and how you have expectations not based in reality. You still haven't told me who's going to pick up the slack when organizations like the Red Cross are pushed to their limit. Is it because maybe you can't?

Or maybe because you don't want to admit that there would be a lot of people left to suffer without any help because you decided it would be such a swell idea to dismantle federal programs that are in place to help people in times of crisis?

I'll repeat that a lot of your ideas are based on expectations that exist only in a perfect world. In other words, on paper. However, once applied, it becomes quite clear just how flawed they are.

Check your premises.

And those people outside the affect states are?
People who donate to outfits like Red Cross.

Charities like Goodwill and Salvation Army.

Much as you'd like to think otherwise, there are lots of folks completely willing to lend a hand to people who are really in need.
Walmart?? Home Depot?? You have no idea what is required in a major disaster recovery. The biggest problem in recovering from a disaster is having adequate planning and coordination. Without that planning and coordination you end up 10,000 blankets you can't use, 50 trucks in wrong place, and no drinking water.

Last edited:
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Thanks, Ray Nagin!
ca4.PNG

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo: The bus argument is about as dumb as it gets. Most all the people who were willing to get on a bus and go to a shelter before the storm hit were at the damn Superdome already.

Thanks, Ray Nagin!
ca4.PNG

Say it with me now.

FEMA

I know your idea of disaster recovery is running over people with your V8 Interceptor as you leave Dodge.

But some of us actually like it when people don't die.

This is the man who said he would not have voted for the civil rights act. Imagine him as president! Seriously, this man is so stuck in the past.

HE IS FUCKING SCARY.

Wait a minute. Oddball blames Ray Nagin and the local government for Katrina. Yet he somehow thinks the states alone are capable of dealing with responding to hurricanes and other disasters. Can someone tell me how that works?

Forum List

Back