Robert Kagan: Trump will run in 2024 and send America to 'its greatest constitutional crisis since the Civil War'

Adolf Trump and his MAGA nuts are desperately trying to destroy America! They must be stopped.
No one named TRUMP! is in power in Washington any more, your paranoia notwithstanding. As a side note, Republicans winning elections is not destroying America, again your paranoia notwithstanding.

Washington Post columnist Robert Kagan on Thursday delivered a stark warning about the future of the American republic, which he said was going to come under great strain thanks in large part to the actions of former President Donald Trump.

Kagan starts off by dispelling the notion that Trump will not run for president in 2024.

"Donald Trump will be the Republican candidate for president in 2024," he writes. "The hope and expectation that he would fade in visibility and influence have been delusional. He enjoys mammoth leads in the polls; he is building a massive campaign war chest; and at this moment the Democratic ticket looks vulnerable. Barring health problems, he is running."

Kagan goes on to warn that Trump and his allies are "preparing for victory by any means necessary," through "an organized nationwide campaign to ensure that Trump and his supporters will have the control over state and local election officials that they lacked in 2020."

Kagan then warns Americans that they should not be certain that the constitutional order will again hold if it comes under assault for a second time in three years.

"All that prevented it was a handful of state officials with notable courage and integrity, and the reluctance of two attorneys general and a vice president to obey orders they deemed inappropriate," he writes. "These were not the checks and balances the Framers had in mind when they designed the Constitution, of course, but Trump has exposed the inadequacy of those protections."

Read the whole essay here.

This essay is alarming and should concern us all - regardless of political ideology. There is much more to this essay on the The Washington Post website. I totally agree with Robert Kagan's warnings.
I feel bad for Putin and Xi that they have to use you to carry their water and promote their propaganda.

It amazes me that people still fear-monger about what Trump will do, yet all the terrible things they claimed/accused he would/was doing the past four years didn’t happen. The Left acted as if Trump was some tyrant who would destroy the country and by doing so made all of his success’ more profound. Yet here we are with the most incompetent administration arguably this country has ever seen, inflation rising, an open border with god knows how much human suffering is taking place, our allies ambassadors being pulled out, foreign policy in shambles, food shortages on the rise, and facing medical tyranny with no logic or reason in sight. But keep talking about how dangerous Trump is.

It amazes me that people still fear-monger about what Trump will do, yet all the terrible things they claimed/accused he would/was doing the past four years didn’t happen. The Left acted as if Trump was some tyrant who would destroy the country and by doing so made all of his success’ more profound. Yet here we are with the most incompetent administration arguably this country has ever seen, inflation rising, an open border with god knows how much human suffering is taking place, our allies ambassadors being pulled out, foreign policy in shambles, food shortages on the rise, and facing medical tyranny with no logic or reason in sight. But keep talking about how dangerous Trump is.
I do remember the abject terror that we would be embroiled in WWIII within months after TRUMP!'s inauguration. He turned out to be a Peace President compared to his predecessors, but the usual suspects STILL insist he was ready to launch against China.

I do remember the abject terror that we would be embroiled in WWIII within months after TRUMP!'s inauguration. He turned out to be a Peace President compared to his predecessors, but the usual suspects STILL insist he was ready to launch against China.
Interesting take. He was everything other than a peace president yet by comparison to his predecessors he was John Lennon.

Same as the lie they told about Russian Collusion.
Same as the lies they are still feeding us about the Kung Fu Flu which really hasn't killed anyone.

They have been pimping this lie for about a month now. Probably pimp it and promote it all the way through the 2022 midterms, and then start it up again shortly thereafter for 2024.

That and they will make some other artificial crisis up that only senile Joe can solve.

Trump NaziCons must be stopped from destroying American democracy!
If not, TRUMP! might be elected again, and the sky can't stand any more people screaming at it! Here's a hint for the terminally obtuse. TRUMP! isn't in power any more, time to start blaming those who really are.

Integrity or ongoing incompetence - your choice. :)

Correct.

Not really.

Irrelevant/dubious assertion.

See above; Trump's definitely the 5th worst president of the century so far.

Good - it's irrelevant & pales in comparison to the deranged/seditious fascism of the Democrats over the last 5+ years.

Your choice remains the same. :)

Back at ya..;o)
Trump is easily the worst president. Ever.

I disagree. I think the way Obama was treated was just as bad if not worse than the way the Dems treated Trump. Deranged? So it was Dems who stormed Capitol Hill?

So does yours....;o)

Back at ya..;o)
Actually, no, but good luck if you ever choose to pursue integrity. :)
Trump is easily the worst president. Ever.
Astonishingly ignorant nonsense, fueled by gullibility & hysteria.
I disagree.
Shocking.
I think the way Obama was treated was just as bad if not worse than the way the Dems treated Trump.
Utter nonsense.

Democrats are a deranged mob; hysterical Brownshirts; seditious fascists; the greatest threat the country has ever faced.
Deranged?
Extremely.
So it was Dems who stormed Capitol Hill?
See above; 1/6 was a minor BLM-like incident.
So does yours....;o)
Sincere best wishes if you ever choose to pursue integrity. :)

Actually, no, but good luck if you ever choose to pursue integrity. :)

Astonishingly ignorant nonsense, fueled by gullibility & hysteria.

Shocking.

Utter nonsense.

Democrats are a deranged mob; hysterical Brownshirts; seditious fascists; the greatest threat the country has ever faced.

Extremely.

See above; 1/6 was a minor BLM-like incident.

Sincere best wishes if you ever choose to pursue integrity. :)

I think you need to look up the word integrity..:)

You are entitled to your own opinion, not facts. Trump is easily the worst president in the history of the US. His divisiveness alone gets him that title. Not even going to go into his policies, or personality. They deserve their own lengthy chapters.

I'm sure the GI's in WWII and those that went through the early stages of the Cold War would look on your 'the greatest threat the country has ever faced' with the derision it deserves.

You have a Masters in Hyperbole and a PhD in Melodrama. Well done!

At least you're good at something I guess....:)

I think you need to look up the word integrity..:)
I encourage you to do so.
You are entitled to your own opinion, not facts. Trump is easily the worst president in the history of the US. His divisiveness alone gets him that title. Not even going to go into his policies, or personality. They deserve their own lengthy chapters.
Utter nonsense.
I'm sure the GI's in WWII and those that went through the early stages of the Cold War would look on your 'the greatest threat the country has ever faced' with the derision it deserves.
Good point - I definitely underestimated the danger.

Democrats seek to tear the country apart, and we're almost there.

Next stop, civil war.
You have a Masters in Hyperbole and a PhD in Melodrama. Well done!
Thank you! :)
At least you're good at something I guess....:)
I encourage you to pursue excellence as well. :)

I encourage you to do so.

Utter nonsense.

Good point - I definitely underestimated the danger.

Democrats seek to tear the country apart, and we're almost there.

Next stop, civil war.

Thank you! :)

I encourage you to pursue excellence as well. :)
Ah, Civil War. The orgasmic call to arms by the Uber Right-Wing Deplorable Trump base.

Good luck with that.

No one wins a civil war, so I'm hoping the Democrats can be stopped before they succeed in completely destroying the country.
Thanks to the result in Nov, and the actions of some brave souls who protected the capital from Trump Loons on Jan 6, there is little chance of a civil war.

The Dems are an interesting beast. They need to calm down a little. Too left leaning. But that's what you get when you have had the worst president in US history in the WH over the past four years. Swings way too far one way, then way too far the other. Sooner or later it will settle in the middle. You'll see. You can come out of your safe place soon.

Forum List

Back