robert e lee statue melted down

I am familiar with that theory.

I don’t buy it.

Understand it? Absolutely.

Agree with it? No.

To me they could only leave if the rest of the States agreed to let it happen.

There is no Constitutional right to succession, but there is always a natural right to rebellion against a tyrannical government.

Of course the difference between founders and traitors is winning said rebellion.

And they didn't win.

To me they could only leave if the rest of the States agreed to let it happen.

There is no Constitutional right to succession, but there is always a natural right to rebellion against a tyrannical government.

Of course the difference between founders and traitors is winning said rebellion.

And they didn't win.
As I said: I understand the claim. I still don’t agree with it.

I also disagree with the distinction made between rebels and traitors. But again, I get why people accept it.

The conversation is interesting.

The issue is they aren't stopping there, and melting it down instead of turning it over to someone who would want it and post in on private property is just instigating.

Remember they are going after the Columbus Statue in Columbus Circle, and they have already removed a Teddy Roosevelt Statue in NY because it had him on horseback flanked by an African and a Native American guide on each side.
Putting it up in the first place was instigating. Giving it to Americans who wanted to melt it down and make it a symbol of their victory is just what happens now that's its become your turn to take the L. If you want to protect your idols protect your majority. :funnyface:

As a general rule, I oppose tearing down statues. But I can’t muster enough emotional energy to give a fuck about Confederate Generals.

As to removing the names of Washington and Lincoln from schools and hospitals (etc.) or removing statues of guys like Teddy Roosevelt, I agree with you fully. That is insidious.
No. It's just democracy you Snowflake.

As I said: I understand the claim. I still don’t agree with it.

I also disagree with the distinction made between rebels and traitors. But again, I get why people accept it.

The conversation is interesting.

To me traitors are those convicted to treason, and rightly executed. Of course the ones that get away like Benedict Arnold can't be prosecuted, but since we weren't really a country at that time, his status is muddled. Still an asshole, and an example of treason, but to him he was still a British Subject, so again, it depends on who won and where he ended up.

The forgiveness of the Confederates of their rebellion to me removes the label of traitor from them. Insurrectionists? yes. Rebels? Yes. Losers? Yes. But not traitors.

Putting it up in the first place was instigating. Giving it to Americans who wanted to melt it down and make it a symbol of their victory is just what happens now that's its become your turn to take the L. If you want to protect your idols protect your majority. :funnyface:

Not my idols. You just get a cyber-chubby when fucking over people you don't like, but don't have the balls to do anything yourself.

The statue, like all other statues funded by the Daughters of the Confederacy, after the end of reconstruction in the late 19th century through (roughly) WWI, was to portray the Confederacy as something noble and good. Charlottesville voted that the confederacy was neither, and the statue's purpose was to demonize blacks and jews ... so to the trash it went.

Spoken like a “democrat” who is fine with the tyranny of a temporary majority provided he and his ilk are that temporary majority.

Fine example of why our Founders and Framers sought so hard to avoid the creation of a ”democracy.” And they succeeded. We are, instead, A Constitutional republic.

How blessed are we?

The statue, like all other statues funded by the Daughters of the Confederacy, after the end of reconstruction in the late 19th century through (roughly) WWI, was to portray the Confederacy as something noble and good. Charlottesville voted that the confederacy was neither, and the statue's purpose was to demonize blacks and jews ... so to the trash it went.

It was also around the time most of these guys were dying off, which is the time people tend to memorialize said people.

To me traitors are those convicted to treason, and rightly executed. Of course the ones that get away like Benedict Arnold can't be prosecuted, but since we weren't really a country at that time, his status is muddled. Still an asshole, and an example of treason, but to him he was still a British Subject, so again, it depends on who won and where he ended up.

The forgiveness of the Confederates of their rebellion to me removes the label of traitor from them. Insurrectionists? yes. Rebels? Yes. Losers? Yes. But not traitors.
I still think traitors engage in treason. And engaging in war against our republic was, by definition, treason.

I still think traitors engage in treason. And engaging in war against our republic was, by definition, treason.

And yet they weren't prosecuted for it despite the Union winning AND having overwhelming evidence of said treasonous acts.

To them they were loyal to their States, and back then State citizenship was seen as superior to national citizenship.

Also, nice to have a rational discussion amongst the filth. I tip my cap to you.

Spoken like a “democrat” who is fine with the tyranny of a temporary majority provided he and his ilk are that temporary majority.
No. The Confederacy was a tyranny you clueless moron. This is democracy.
Fine example of why our Founders and Framers sought so hard to avoid the creation of a ”democracy.” And they succeeded. We are, instead, A Constitutional republic.

How blessed are we?
They created a slave state. I don't know about you but I'm blessed that Founder slaver ideology has been thoroughly cucked and subdued. 😄

Nope, because she knew murder was bad, and did it anyway.

Plus bank robbery, other robberies, assault. etc.
Feel free to cry about it Marty, we just have a difference of opinion. Go petition the government to see if you can shit on their memory as we continue to do to Confederates. :funnyface:

Forum List

Back