Rob Zombie’s, “The Munsters,” unwatchable, just really bad.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
It is too bad, but this Netflix show by Rob Zombie is just unwatchable……I gave it a shot but it was terrible. I was always more of an Addam’s Family fan, but I watched the Munsters as a kid………

Rob Zombie is a director who I think has had more success in the movies than his actual talent should have allowed him to have……..

I think he was aiming for a show like the old live action, 1970s, Saturday morning shows….but he just didn’t know how to get it done…

All the original stuff has all been done. Nobody does anything but remake the old stuff woke style, to prove how hip they are.

Whorelywood has nothing new to say.

They were once great.

They're dead.

I just wish they'd have the good sense and dignity to lie down and stop kicking.

Last edited:
the only 2 survivors of the original series showed a lot of sense only giving their voice talents to this disaster

It is too bad, but this Netflix show by Rob Zombie is just unwatchable……I gave it a shot but it was terrible. I was always more of an Addam’s Family fan, but I watched the Munsters as a kid………

Rob Zombie is a director who I think has had more success in the movies than his actual talent should have allowed him to have……..

I think he was aiming for a show like the old live action, 1970s, Saturday morning shows….but he just didn’t know how to get it done…

Two points. Rob Zombie sucks as a director. I remember his Halloween remake and sequel, which were probably the most pointless things ever made. Did we really need to know about Michael Myer's white trash background? What was horrifying about Myers should have been he seemed to come from such a normal background.

Second point - why did we NEED a Munster's remake? This isn't even the first attempt, as remakes were attempted in TV and Movie form with other actors.

The reason why the Original TV series worked was because of the chemistry of the original cast, particularly Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis and Yvonne DeCarlo. Other actors doing imitations in derivative plots was always going to be a failure.

Why do we need YET ANOTHER version of that?

They already made version in 1930 and 1979.
You don't need to watch.....You know, freedom and all.

That and the Richard Thomas version sucked major ass....Even Ernest Borgnine and Ian Holm could not carry that fuckin' turkey....Speaking of Turkey, they used Turkish M1939 Mausers in that one instead Gew-98s....It matters. ;)

The original Herman Munster died in 1993. Kids today wouldn't recognize the concept and people who remember the Munsters would be put off by the cheap imitations. It had to be a loser.

I haven't seen it, but the Munsters is a parody of the horror genre. Zombie is a non-parody horror film maker.

The only producer I've ever know to successfully parody his own work is Sherwood Swartz who made The Brady bunch 1969 and the great parody, "The Brady Bunch Movie," in 1995. I got a degree in radio television and film in the late nineties, as a returning student (old dude on campus). One of my classmates said he wanted to be the next Quintin Tarantino. I said I wanted to be the next Sherwood Schwartz, to blank looks.

Is this a series or a movie? If Cassandra Peterson strips off, I'll watch it, other than that, pass.

This is a FAN MADE PRODUCTION. It is a "prequel", which was done well enough to actually BE a part of the Munsters story line.

I have watched it TWICE since last week.

You REALLY have to watch it twice to get the nuiances and all the little quirks in the movie. And also, I didn't realize this, but the three main actors all play different characters in the movie!!! I did not realize this until my second viewing of it! WILD!

Just remember, this WAS done on a budget, and even with that.........Rob Zombie did a FANTASTIC job keeping in step with the campiness, sweetness, and silliness of the original show!! Yes, he's added some of his own flare to the movie as well, but it all works out wonderfully! After watching the movie a second time, I realized how good these wonderful actors actually are, and how much of a great job they did in keeping with the flare, wit, and sweetness of the original cast.

I can't wait for the sequel!!!! I do agree with Ricks critiques of the actors (video below), but.......as I said, I had to watch this movie TWICE for my brain to contemplate these were different actors giving these characters thier BEST homages to the originals. Yes, JDP has some voice cracks here and there as Herman, but he takes such massive effort to get it right, you have to forgive the cracks. He DOES do very well! Shari Moon also......she isn't trying to BE Yvonne DeCarlo, she's trying to be Lily Munster and honoring her with her homage to the character.

If these people were trying to COPY the originals, WE the fans would be able to tell. And this is NOT what they are doing. This is a labor of love from Rob Zombie, a HUUUUGE Munsters fan. And all tiny little faux pas are absolutely forgiven, because they all did an absolute AWESOME job! I would suggest anyone wanting to see this movie, watch it twice. Once viewed, wait a week, and then watch it again. You will get more of the flavor of the Munsters coming thru.

As Rick states, the trailers really didn't give the movie any justice.
But the movie itself put it all in perspective.

Is this movie an award winner? Not by any means.

Is this movie a production of Munster love and fandom? Definitely.
If there is a sequel, I'm sure it will be much better, with the addition of Eddie and Marilyn.

This is a FAN MADE PRODUCTION. It is a "prequel", which was done well enough to actually BE a part of the Munsters story line.

I have watched it TWICE since last week.

You REALLY have to watch it twice to get the nuiances and all the little quirks in the movie. And also, I didn't realize this, but the three main actors all play different characters in the movie!!! I did not realize this until my second viewing of it! WILD!

Just remember, this WAS done on a budget, and even with that.........Rob Zombie did a FANTASTIC job keeping in step with the campiness, sweetness, and silliness of the original show!! Yes, he's added some of his own flare to the movie as well, but it all works out wonderfully! After watching the movie a second time, I realized how good these wonderful actors actually are, and how much of a great job they did in keeping with the flare, wit, and sweetness of the original cast.

I can't wait for the sequel!!!! I do agree with Ricks critiques of the actors (video below), but.......as I said, I had to watch this movie TWICE for my brain to contemplate these were different actors giving these characters thier BEST homages to the originals. Yes, JDP has some voice cracks here and there as Herman, but he takes such massive effort to get it right, you have to forgive the cracks. He DOES do very well! Shari Moon also......she isn't trying to BE Yvonne DeCarlo, she's trying to be Lily Munster and honoring her with her homage to the character.

If these people were trying to COPY the originals, WE the fans would be able to tell. And this is NOT what they are doing. This is a labor of love from Rob Zombie, a HUUUUGE Munsters fan. And all tiny little faux pas are absolutely forgiven, because they all did an absolute AWESOME job! I would suggest anyone wanting to see this movie, watch it twice. Once viewed, wait a week, and then watch it again. You will get more of the flavor of the Munsters coming thru.

As Rick states, the trailers really didn't give the movie any justice.
But the movie itself put it all in perspective.

Is this movie an award winner? Not by any means.

Is this movie a production of Munster love and fandom? Definitely.
If there is a sequel, I'm sure it will be much better, with the addition of Eddie and Marilyn.

Sorry....you can love it all you want, but it was really, really bad. His Halloween movies were bad, his House of 1000 Corpses was bad.......I just don't like what he produces......

Sorry....you can love it all you want, but it was really, really bad. His Halloween movies were bad, his House of 1000 Corpses was bad.......I just don't like what he produces......

Nothing wrong with that. Your taste, your opinion.

I will say House of 1000 Corpses was a really good horror comedy. I LOVED it!!!

His other movies, didn't care for them. He seems to have lost his touch for the horror comedy style.

The comedy element of the original series was that the Munsters thought they were normal, but didn't understand why everyone else was horrified by them.

Especially the child-like sincerity of Herman. No one except Fred Gwynne could have carried that off... and it shows by all the failed remakes and reboots over the years.

My first thought to your review was, "Well, duh." Sorry, but everything I saw leading up to it's release screamed "DON'T WATCH THIS POS!"

Like you, I have always been partial to The Addams Family. The single panel comic by Charles Addams and the television classic. Even the live action movies. I think part of my draw to Addams over Munsters was that I always thought The Munsters thought they were normal and the Addams' knew they were different.

On a side note, speaking to the quality of programming these days, I believe it suffers greatly due to dilution. There are so many streaming services and television channels all trying to fill 24 hours of programming a day, the talent and quality is so diluted that finding anything really good just keeps getting more difficult.

My first thought to your review was, "Well, duh." Sorry, but everything I saw leading up to it's release screamed "DON'T WATCH THIS POS!"

Like you, I have always been partial to The Addams Family. The single panel comic by Charles Addams and the television classic. Even the live action movies. I think part of my draw to Addams over Munsters was that I always thought The Munsters thought they were normal and the Addams' knew they were different.

On a side note, speaking to the quality of programming these days, I believe it suffers greatly due to dilution. There are so many streaming services and television channels all trying to fill 24 hours of programming a day, the talent and quality is so diluted that finding anything really good just keeps getting more difficult.

I liked the Addams family better……….Lily was always mean to Herman, while Gomez and Morticia were crazy about each other……I thought her man eating plants were funny…..how she fed them meatballs….

I didn’t like the Addams family movies….and I think that taking “Thing” out of his boxes was dumb…….the mystery of “Thing” was far better than the dumb CGI hand running around…..

Cousin “It” was great and Lurch was great too…
Another reason I liked the Addams family it wasn’t as darkly lit the way the monsters was…..and the condition of the minters house was depressing to me…….

Forum List

Back