Rob Portman Reverses Gay Marriage Stance After Son Comes Out

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has reversed his stance on same-sex marriage two years after learning that his son is gay, several Ohio news outlets, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reported Friday.

In an interview with Ohio reporters in his Senate office, Portman said that his son, Will, came out to the senator and his wife in February 2011.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

Portman said that his son, who is now a junior at Yale University, inspired him to reassess his position on same-sex unions. The senator also consulted clergy on the matter, as well as friends such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay. According to Portman, Cheney told the senator to "follow [his] heart" on the matter.

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

Obama reversed his same-sex marriage stance to pull in his base. I think his reasons were a bit less ethical. Not to mention the fact that Obama always was for same-sex marriage. He just didn't want us to know this until after he had been in the White House long enough to make it more palatable to the public.

In all honesty if Obama said now that he was a racist, a Muslim, and bi-sexual the left would support him 100%.

You just said that Obama was always for same sex marriage until he reversed himself, unethically, to be for same sex marriage. Cool trick.

Indeed. Hateful and illiterate is no way to go through life.

Oh well, tough shit.

Stupid do you know what illiterate means? If I'm illiterate how can I have a discussion on any forum such as the USMB?

You are not illiterate. That is a false charge. You are, however, a person who writes on about a 6th grade level with a very poor grasp on how our language is used. This fact upsets you. Why not do something about it?

Indeed. Hateful and illiterate is no way to go through life.

Oh well, tough shit.

Stupid do you know what illiterate means? If I'm illiterate how can I have a discussion on any forum such as the USMB?

You are not illiterate. That is a false charge. You are, however, a person who writes on about a 6th grade level with a very poor grasp on how our language is used. This fact upsets you. Why not do something about it?

So misusing the word illiterate is OK with you?

You ought to refrain from beginning a question with the word "so". It is most often followed by a statement based on flimsy evidence.

Mac did not misuse the word. He might believe that you are, in fact, illiterate. I gave you a little more credit. In any case, whether or not it is OK with me matters very little. Is YOUR weakness OK with YOU?

Well blow me over.

Republican Senator Rob Portman has announced his support for same-sex marriage, declaring his decision on the hot-button social issue came after his son came out as gay.

The decision came after long consideration, the Ohio lawmaker told newspapers from his home state on Thursday. Portman’s 21-year-old son, who is a junior at Yale University, discussed his sexual orientation with Portman and his wife in 2011, the senator said.

His son said that his sexuality was “not a choice, it was who he is and that he had been that way since he could remember,” Portman told Cleveland.com during an interview in his Washington, D.C. office.

“It allowed me to think of this from a new perspective, and that’s of a dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have – to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years,” Portman told reporters.

Too bad Portman didn't care if others had the same opportunities that his kids would have. Very conservative of him

Last edited:

You ought to refrain from beginning a question with the word "so". It is most often followed by a statement based on flimsy evidence.

Mac did not misuse the word. He might believe that you are, in fact, illiterate. I gave you a little more credit. In any case, whether or not it is OK with me matters very little. Is YOUR weakness OK with YOU?

He most certainly did misuse the word especially if I am able to have a discussion on the a discussion board forum.
If I were illiterate it would be impossible to read what you post.
I'll say this your argument in defending him might have some validity in that he may not have misused it, but he surely doesn't understand what it means.

I would have disinherited the little bitch

I'm sure you consider yourself a great "Christian".

No I have never made that claim.
If the bitch was my child and did something out of what I taught him that was wrong he would be out on his own

Wow, so even when talking about a subject that isn't gun-related, you still do the crazy talk.

Guy, it isn't a matter of what you taught them. Who "taught" you to be straight?

Sexual orientation is imprinted on us like hair color, and a lot harder to change.

He most certainly did misuse the word especially if I am able to have a discussion on the a discussion board forum.
I'll say this your argument in defending him might have some validity in that he may not have misused it, but he surely doesn't understand what it means.

Wow, he's very upset.

Okay.

I apologize, bigrebnc, I shouldn't have used the word "illiterate". You're not illiterate, and I know that. I should not have done that.

You're just...

Aw, we'll leave it at that.

Excuse me, but is Obama the only one allowed to "evolve" on this matter? He didn't exactly show support until Biden opened his mouth and put Obama on the spot.

For many people, it takes a personal experience to change their hearts and the important thing is that the change takes place. Knock this guy all you want for becoming enlightened, but you sound like the fool. I believe Portman is more sincere because he's probably been doing a lot of soul searching. In Obama's case, it was strictly politics and doing what he figured was in his own best interest. Portman may face criticism, but spoke out anyway. That took courage.

Obama is evil, Portman is good? Of course you know people's motives. You are pathetic.

btw, I'd love to know just what Obama struggled with.

Why do Republicans feel the need to support same sex marriage when a friend or family member comes out? Their constituents elected them to act on their behalf, not make decisions based on personal beliefs.

A Republican elected because he (or she) opposes affirmative action should not go against his (or her) supporters because a son or daughter marries an African-American.

Or maybe he develops a new perspective.

Here's the real problem. The GOP leadership has used the "religious issues" to keep stupid working class Christians to vote against their own economic interests since Reagan if not Nixon. Except some of these issues just ain't flying anymore.

The kind of person who votes primarily on how much he hates gay people isn't going to ever vote for a Democrat, and he's becoming a smaller and smaller slice of the electorate. Meanwhile the GOP just looks bad standing in the courthouse door blocking the way.

So they are probably secretly hoping the SCOTUS strikes down marriage laws and gets this issue off the table.

Wow, he's very upset.

Okay.

I apologize, bigrebnc, I shouldn't have used the word "illiterate". You're not illiterate, and I know that. I should not have done that.

You're just...

No need to back away now you've shown that you don't know what illiterate means while trying to nitpick over one o or oo :eusa_whistle:

I'm sure you consider yourself a great "Christian".

If the bitch was my child and did something out of what I taught him that was wrong he would be out on his own

Wow, so even when talking about a subject that isn't gun-related, you still do the crazy talk.

Guy, it isn't a matter of what you taught them. Who "taught" you to be straight?

Sexual orientation is imprinted on us like hair color, and a lot harder to change.
WOW you aren't born gay that's for sure.

Wow, he's very upset.

Okay.

You're just...

No need to back away now you've shown that you don't know what illiterate means while trying to nitpick over one o or oo :eusa_whistle:

Oh, I see. You're pretending I don't know what "illiterate" means in an attempt to deflect from your own weak English skills.

Okay, run with that. That's what I get for apologizing.

It's a shame that it takes a conservative's child being gay to come to the realization that being gay is not some lewd choice made by an individual due to some sexual perversion.

Obama reversed his same-sex marriage stance to pull in his base. I think his reasons were a bit less ethical. Not to mention the fact that Obama always was for same-sex marriage. He just didn't want us to know this until after he had been in the White House long enough to make it more palatable to the public.

In all honesty if Obama said now that he was a racist, a Muslim, and bi-sexual the left would support him 100%.

You just said that Obama was always for same sex marriage until he reversed himself, unethically, to be for same sex marriage. Cool trick.

For the learning impaired that means that he reversed his position to get elected and then reverted back to his original position once he felt it would help him stay elected.

Actually, you probably are...

My friend (the one who got fired when she showed up with her girlfriend at the company party) said she knew she was gay when she was 11. She still tried to pretend to be straight, married a loser, had two kids, and eventually went on to be gay anyway.

I'd rather have people embracing who they are than making someone else miserable trying to be something they aren't.

Wow, he's very upset.

Okay.

You're just...

Oh, I see. You're pretending I don't know what "illiterate" means in an attempt to deflect from your own weak English skills.

Okay, run with that. That's what I get for apologizing.

You can't say it was a typo when you used a word incorrectly. You either misused the word or you don't understand what it means. Either way kind of hypocritical nitpicking over a little word when you yourself made a grammatical error.

Actually, you probably are...

My friend (the one who got fired when she showed up with her girlfriend at the company party) said she knew she was gay when she was 11. She still tried to pretend to be straight, married a loser, had two kids, and eventually went on to be gay anyway.

I'd rather have people embracing who they are than making someone else miserable trying to be something they aren't.

Not everyone on the right feels the same way about gays.

Some of us are understanding enough to not try to drag them behind our pickups. There are still those that are born in the South that make fun of them, want to pick a fight with them, yet fuck them in the ass when they get horny. Then there are those of us that see them as people that are different, but still just people. Some pent up assholes are afraid to even talk about the subject because they're worried that someone might think they are gay. They would just die if that ever happened Heaven forbid.

Forum List

Back