Ripley (Netflix)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
This is a fantastic mini series which is unfortunately getting very low viewership, probably because it is in black and white.

People have no idea what they are missing.

This is one of many iterations of The Talented Mr. Ripley novel written in 1955.

The black and white choice is actually the best part of the series. If you have anyone of your acquaintance who has even the slightest artistic bent, I guarantee they will love this show. A lot of painstaking effort was put into every shot.

Tom Ripley is played by Andrew Scott who I knew as the awesome Moriarty in the Sherlock series.

Ripley is probably the most incompetent murderer you will ever encounter. The guy is sloppy, slow, and stupid, which only increases the tension. Ripley has a fetish for expensive items you can hold in your hand, and this motivates his crimes.

The Italian inspector is always nipping at Ripley's heels, methodically and painstakingly, yet never quite able to solve the case.

Watch this show and luxuriate in the incredibly beautiful cinematography. They spent their souls on this series, and it is time well spent watching it. It is so sad it is being overlooked.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic mini series which is unfortunately getting very low viewership, probably because it is in black and white.

People have no idea what they are missing.

This is one of many iterations of The Talented Mr. Ripley novel written in 1955.

The black and white choice is actually the best part of the series. If you have anyone of your acquaintance who has even the slightest artistic bent, I guarantee they will love this show. A lot of painstaking effort was put into every shot.

Tom Ripley is played by Andrew Scott who I knew as the awesome Moriarty in the Sherlock series.

Ripley is probably the most incompetent murderer you will ever encounter. The guy is sloppy, slow, and stupid, which only increases the tension. Ripley has a fetish for expensive items you can hold in your hand, and this motivates his crimes.

The Italian inspector is always nipping at Ripley's heels, methodically and painstakingly, yet never quite able to solve the case.

Watch this show and luxuriate in the incredibly beautiful cinematography. They spent their souls on this series, and it is time well spent watching it. It is so sad it is being overlooked.

I enjoyed the movie and I saw the first episode but haven't mustered the interest to see further. One of these days...

Watched all of it. I liked it the story and
1. appeared to be filmed for the most part in Italy
2. Black and white

The show takes place in 1961. The backdrops work because nothing has changed in Italy for centuries. :lol:
If it is a backdrop, it is the same one used in Equalizer 3.

Further investigation shows: Filming for Ripley took place in Atrani, Capri, Anzio, Rome, Palermo, Naples, and Venice.

Not a backdrop

I enjoyed the movie and I saw the first episode but haven't mustered the interest to see further. One of these days...
don't bother. I don't want to hear about how much you hated it.

There is a cameo by John Malkovich. He played Tom Ripley in a 2002 movie.

If it is a backdrop, it is the same one used in Equalizer 3.

Further investigation shows: Filming for Ripley took place in Atrani, Capri, Anzio, Rome, Palermo, Naples, and Venice.

Not a backdrop
By "backdrop", I meant film locations.

There is a cameo by John Malkovich. He played Tom Ripley in a 2002 movie.
Yeah he did good. My favorite character is the investigator.

police2.JPG

We saw it all. Indeed, very good. Watched "Alone" tonight.. also surprisingly good, though revoltingly realistic.

Netflix's new series based on Patricia Highsmith's 1950's crime novel, "The Talented Mr. Ripley," has fans of the show yearning to experience the picturesque Amalfi Coast, where much of the show was filmed.

The book's latest adaptation is even driving traffic to the particular town in which it's filmed, Atrani, a tiny seaside municipality with a local population of less than 1,000 people.

Home-sharing site Airbnb said the miniseries, called "Ripley," has led to a 93% increase in bookings in Ravello, a city about 15 minutes away from Atrani.

Bookings in nearby Minori also increased 62% on the weekend of the release of "Ripley," compared with the same weekend one year earlier, according to Airbnb.

"It's no surprise that a show as visually spectacular as 'Ripley' is inspiring viewers to explore the Amalfi Coast for their next getaway," Amanda Cupples, general manager for Airbnb UK and Northern Europe, said in a statement. "As it spotlights a lesser-known Italian city of Atrani, this is showing travelers that they can avoid the crowds, while simultaneously quenching their 'Ripley' wanderlust."

Known for its slow pace of life, cobblestone streets and trattorias, Atrani is less crowded than better-known destinations on the Amalfi Coast. But local business owners are bracing for change in anticipation of unusually large crowds this summer.

Forum List

Back