Right to BEAR arms upheld in Federal Appeals Court

Been to Homer and Fairbanks. There is a reason that it's open carry. It's too cold to put that cold piece of metal in your pocket. You would freeze your gonads off.

Homer isn't bad at all. Fairbanks I agree with you, but Homer is nice most of the year.

Yah, been to Homer. Nice fishing Village or what's left of the Fishing Industry.

We dropped into Fairbanks from Anchorage with a Herkypig in the middle of February. WE dropped the tailgate to drop off 2 pallets. Holy Crap. 60 below zero with another 40 below zero chill factor. Every Swinging D.... on the bird pushed those two pallets off so we could get that damned ramp up as fast as possible. And that is my only time in Fairbanks. I visited it twice. My first and my last. You could carry a howitzer on your hip in Fairbanks for all I care.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yeah, Fairbanks is not high on my list of places to retire to. When i was working in Alaska I had a client (who became my friend) and that is why I was there. I was mainly based in Homer so I could leave whenever i wanted to. I flew a friends plane up to Anchorage a couple of years ago and stopped and visited with friends again. Had pizza at Starvin Marvins again... That is some GREAT pizza!

Fairbanks and the slope are why they make parkas and hand heaters :p

Fairbanks is where they test shit for the Antarctic and Siberia!

They have swings of 100 F so it's a great resource for that kind of thing for sure. I've never been there in the winter, but in the summer it's too hot for me... I was last up there for one of the boys football games, was like 85F... You can't [legally] take off enough clothes to get comfortable in those temps.

(Of course, I have a slightly different perspective at the moment because I just got back from Vegas where it was between 100 and 115 every day - I almost ended up in the hospital lol)

Wow. The Hawaii rep SUCKED. He went in completely unprepared thinking he would be preaching to the choir. What a putz.

indeed --LOL

they can ask for a full review with the the judges of the 9th

but it is unlikely to be granted

Based on his poor showing I agree with you. I was watching the body language of the judges and they were offended at his lack of prep. That's a huge error on his part.

We all condemn Judges but Judges can only rule on what is presented to them. In this case, it's so poorly presented, the ruling comes out equally poor. It's going to bounce like a bad check.

Maybe, maybe not. The ruling is only bad in your opinion because you don't agree with it. On the hand, as a strict Constitutionalist, I agree with the ruling.

and it falls in line with heller

Not even close. Heller V only dealt with Heller being denied the right to have a fully function handgun in his home and being denied the license to have it. When you strip out all the gobblygook out of it, that's all that is left. Heller DID have a right to a fully functional handgun in his home and since he qualified for the license, DC had no choice but to issue it to him. This argument has been tried before and the ones that try it get thier asses handed back to them.

NRA-ILA | Federal Appeals Court Confirms Second Amendment Protects Right to Carry in Public

FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action applauded (NRA-ILA) a ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday [July 24, 2018] that confirmed the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

“This is a critical issue for law-abiding gun owners who want to exercise their right to self-defense outside the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Second Amendment clearly protects the right to bear arms in public.”

The ruling reversed a decision by a Hawaii district court that upheld Hawaii’s ban on carriage outside the home.
*****************************************************************************************

This court is the three-judge Ninth Circuit, and the decision could be appealed to the full 9th Circuit Federal Appeals Court, which is considered the furthest left appeals court in the country.

After that it presumably will be appealed to the Supreme Court at some point, because federal appeals courts have found both ways, for and against more freedom to bear arms.

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.

The word by itself has two equal meanings. One is to carry. The other is to keep. It appears our founding fathers meant the keep not the carry meaning. We have the right to Keep Arms.

bear
[ber]
VERB
  1. (of a person) carry.
    "he was bearing a tray of brimming glasses" ·
    carry · bring · transport · move · convey · take · fetch · haul · lug · shift ·

Alaska has had open carry forever. It's not at all uncommon to see a gun on the hip, and it's almost expected to see a gun in the truck window. We have a very high carry rate up here; think it was 80% in the city, 95% out of the city.

Our businesses, for the most part, don't lose customers because of it, people on the street don't freak out about it, and really other than folks being a shit ton more friendly, open carry hasn't caused any real problems.

I lived there for 3 years. What you don't have is very many people. Plus, at any time, you can have a wild animal waltz into your bedroom in the middle of the night. And even in Alaska, your right to a firearm is not absolute. There are many limits. But you do have the right to openly carry as long as you do it within the State Guidelines.

It does appear there is a push for the common sense gun regulations that are sweeping the rest of the nation. So don't be surprised if those go into affect. But only if the State of Alaska wants it. I learned a long time ago not to try and force an Alaskan to do anything even if they wanted to do it in the first place.

That's true, but the majority of the people live within a very small geographic area. I have friends who have lived in Homer, and Fairbanks for decades, and they have no issues with open carry at all.

Been to Homer and Fairbanks. There is a reason that it's open carry. It's too cold to put that cold piece of metal in your pocket. You would freeze your gonads off.

Homer isn't bad at all. Fairbanks I agree with you, but Homer is nice most of the year.

Yah, been to Homer. Nice fishing Village or what's left of the Fishing Industry.

We dropped into Fairbanks from Anchorage with a Herkypig in the middle of February. WE dropped the tailgate to drop off 2 pallets. Holy Crap. 60 below zero with another 40 below zero chill factor. Every Swinging D.... on the bird pushed those two pallets off so we could get that damned ramp up as fast as possible. And that is my only time in Fairbanks. I visited it twice. My first and my last. You could carry a howitzer on your hip in Fairbanks for all I care.
Tourist much? LOL!

Alaska has had open carry forever. It's not at all uncommon to see a gun on the hip, and it's almost expected to see a gun in the truck window. We have a very high carry rate up here; think it was 80% in the city, 95% out of the city.

Our businesses, for the most part, don't lose customers because of it, people on the street don't freak out about it, and really other than folks being a shit ton more friendly, open carry hasn't caused any real problems.

I lived there for 3 years. What you don't have is very many people. Plus, at any time, you can have a wild animal waltz into your bedroom in the middle of the night. And even in Alaska, your right to a firearm is not absolute. There are many limits. But you do have the right to openly carry as long as you do it within the State Guidelines.

It does appear there is a push for the common sense gun regulations that are sweeping the rest of the nation. So don't be surprised if those go into affect. But only if the State of Alaska wants it. I learned a long time ago not to try and force an Alaskan to do anything even if they wanted to do it in the first place.
We are still the "Last Frontier"!

Wonder how much the Russians would want to take it back after we get all the Oil out of it? :dev2:

That's true, but the majority of the people live within a very small geographic area. I have friends who have lived in Homer, and Fairbanks for decades, and they have no issues with open carry at all.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yeah, Fairbanks is not high on my list of places to retire to. When i was working in Alaska I had a client (who became my friend) and that is why I was there. I was mainly based in Homer so I could leave whenever i wanted to. I flew a friends plane up to Anchorage a couple of years ago and stopped and visited with friends again. Had pizza at Starvin Marvins again... That is some GREAT pizza!
There's a Starvin' Marvins in Anchorage? How long ago were you here? I've been here since '88 and have never know of a Starvin' Marvins. For folks town-bound in Anchoragua, the Moose's Tooth is the pizza joint to visit.

The reason Dick Heller was allowed to have a handgun is because it is affirmed he had the right to bear arms independent of connection with a militia.

Boeing brings their newest planes to Fairbanks to test them for cold weather.

We are still the "Last Frontier"!

Wonder how much the Russians would want to take it back after we get all the Oil out of it? :dev2:

It's gonna be a long ass time before we get all the oil outta Alaska... I believe there's a good 80 years worth of enough oil to supply the lower 48.

I suspect the Russian's would be fucking thrilled to have Alaska back regardless though - just for the strategic location alone. Alaska can reach out and touch over half the planet heh

They have swings of 100 F so it's a great resource for that kind of thing for sure. I've never been there in the winter, but in the summer it's too hot for me... I was last up there for one of the boys football games, was like 85F... You can't [legally] take off enough clothes to get comfortable in those temps.

(Of course, I have a slightly different perspective at the moment because I just got back from Vegas where it was between 100 and 115 every day - I almost ended up in the hospital lol)
I've been there when it's so cold that fan belts crack and break, the seams of tire inner tubes crack and break, your balls freeze to the porta-potty frames...etc. Fairbanks get freeze-your-balls cold, it takes REAL men, and the women deal as women do.

I've been there when it's so cold that fan belts crack and break, the seams of tire inner tubes crack and break, your balls freeze to the porta-potty frames...etc. Fairbanks get freeze-your-balls cold, it takes REAL men, and the women deal as women do.

We call it "snakes on the road" season when belts are snapping. FUCK porta potties in the winter, I'll pee in the car exhaust thanks hahahha

We call it "snakes on the road" season when belts are snapping. FUCK porta potties in the winter, I'll pee in the car exhaust thanks hahahha
Snakes in the road...now that's funny! Yeah, porta pots in the winter suck. They fill up and freeze and the potty pumpers can't do anything with them. I'd rather did a hole in the snow, or make yellow snow where everyone else makes yellow snow. In the military, we'd check the yellow snow places to make sure the troops were hydrating properly.

It should be fun when the open carrying thug encounters the open carrying walmart redneck on the street. What's the accuracy rate of handguns in live shootings? I heard it's less than 50%. Where do the rest of those defensive bullets go? Probably defending someone else out there.

That's the thing, isn't it? It's obvious we are going more and more Wild West, between the Stand Your Ground laws and the increase in concealed and open carry permissions. I'm expecting a tipping point when people realize they had BETTER carry a gun in public. Even women? Sure.

The result has already occurred -- a whole lot less going around in public. Malls empty, restaurants like the Red Hen mob and attack their customers, movie theaters closing. Local stores not patronized, goods bought from Amazon instead. Too much crime. Maybe we should all carry guns.
This is the direction things are going now.
What do people think?
Nonsense, post hoc fallacy.

indeed --LOL

they can ask for a full review with the the judges of the 9th

but it is unlikely to be granted

Based on his poor showing I agree with you. I was watching the body language of the judges and they were offended at his lack of prep. That's a huge error on his part.

We all condemn Judges but Judges can only rule on what is presented to them. In this case, it's so poorly presented, the ruling comes out equally poor. It's going to bounce like a bad check.

Maybe, maybe not. The ruling is only bad in your opinion because you don't agree with it. On the hand, as a strict Constitutionalist, I agree with the ruling.

and it falls in line with heller

Not even close. Heller V only dealt with Heller being denied the right to have a fully function handgun in his home and being denied the license to have it. When you strip out all the gobblygook out of it, that's all that is left. Heller DID have a right to a fully functional handgun in his home and since he qualified for the license, DC had no choice but to issue it to him. This argument has been tried before and the ones that try it get thier asses handed back to them.

like i said it falls in line with heller and even goes further

in heller the court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms for lawful use such as self-defense

your anti gun side agenda is slowly going down in flames

when you got the 9th siding with the 2nd it is pretty much over

There's a Starvin' Marvins in Anchorage? How long ago were you here? I've been here since '88 and have never know of a Starvin' Marvins. For folks town-bound in Anchoragua, the Moose's Tooth is the pizza joint to visit.

No, it's in Homer. About 100 yards from the Homer Spit road.

Yet may issue laws remain in effect for concealed carry – inconsistent, to say the least.

Actually not. What part of "if you are not going to allow concealed carry for the peasants, then they MUST be allowed to open carry" do you not understand?

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.

The word by itself has two equal meanings. One is to carry. The other is to keep. It appears our founding fathers meant the keep not the carry meaning. We have the right to Keep Arms.

Nope, you're wrong: the 9th 3-judge circuit court found exactly the opposite from what you said.

It is sure to be appealed to the entire 9th, and then the USSC. I never thought of the matter before in so simple a way as to consider the word itself, but as an editor, this ruling is right. Bear means carry around, outside the home. Well, there it is!!

Could be trouble now.

Yet may issue laws remain in effect for concealed carry – inconsistent, to say the least.

Actually not. What part of "if you are not going to allow concealed carry for the peasants, then they MUST be allowed to open carry" do you not understand?

the state could still use the defacto ban on CC however they can not stop open carry as of the opinion

a huge loss for the anti crowd the court would not let the state confuse the two into one issue

Nope, you're wrong: the 9th 3-judge circuit court found exactly the opposite from what you said.

It is sure to be appealed to the entire 9th, and then the USSC. I never thought of the matter before in so simple a way as to consider the word itself, but as an editor, this ruling is right. Bear means carry around, outside the home. Well, there it is!!

Could be trouble now.

that will be up to one of the 3 judges to decide if requested

they can deny it

Forum List

Back