Rick Perry's handling of the case of Cameron Todd Willingham

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Perry's handling of the case of Cameron Todd Willingham is profoundly disturbing - at least as presented in this article at Huffington Post.

Cameron Todd Willingham Execution: Rick Perry's Role Deserves Scrutiny

For a moment as I read about it, I was so sickened that I thought it might make me throw my vote to Obama.

Then I remembered how Obama dealt with the case of protection*s for babies born alive after botched abortion attempts.

Now I am back to my dilemma of impossible choices for 2012.

• Banned
I read about this some in the "Rick Perry: Debunking the lie" thread and I realize that Perry couldn't give clemency. But he could have given a stay for more investigation.

And afterwards ... did he really kill the investigation when the Texas Forensic Science Commission decided to reopen it?

There are many different reasons not to vote for Rick Perry, this aint one of them. Not granting clemency to a convicted murderer won't put off conservative voters because they LOVE the death penalty.

Me? I don't like the death penalty but I think that's a States Rights issue.

Moral of the Story? Don't kill anyone in Texas.

I read about this some in the "Rick Perry: Debunking the lie" thread and I realize that Perry couldn't give clemency. But he could have given a stay for more investigation.

And afterwards ... did he really kill the investigation when the Texas Forensic Science Commission decided to reopen it?
Could be. He and his Lt. Gov. worked to kill the Texas Anti-TSA legislation recently.

• Banned
There are many different reasons not to vote for Rick Perry, this aint one of them. Not granting clemency to a convicted murderer won't put off conservative voters because they LOVE the death penalty.

That's a strange moral. It appears that Willingham did not kill anyone. And not only that, it appears that no murder took place at all.

So what's the moral again?

That's a strange moral. It appears that Willingham did not kill anyone. And not only that, it appears that no murder took place at all.

So what's the moral again?

Except nothing of the fact is true.

The only thing we know is that an investigator who never investigated the original crime scene now claims that based on his review of the evidence, it was't arson. But the people who did actually investigate the actual scene think it was and still think it was

Cameron Todd Willingham #899

Two days before Christmas in 1991, Willingham poured a combustible liquid on the floor throughout his home and intentionally set the house on fire, resulting in the death of his three children. According to autopsy reports, Amber, age two, and twins Karmon and Kameron, age 1, died of acute carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of smoke inhalation. Neighbors of Willingham testified that as the house began smoldering, Willingham was “crouched down” in the front yard, and despite the neighbors’ pleas, refused to go into the house in any attempt to rescue the children. An expert witness for the State testified that the floors, front threshold, and front concrete porch were burned, which only occurs when an accelerant has been used to purposely burn these areas. The witness further testified that this igniting of the floors and thresholds is typically employed to impede firemen in their rescue attempts. The testimony at trial demonstrates that Willingham neither showed remorse for his actions nor grieved the loss of his three children. Willingham’s neighbors testified that when the fire “blew out” the windows, Willingham “hollered about his car” and ran to move it away from the fire to avoid its being damaged. A fire fighter also testified that Willingham was upset that his dart board was burned. Willingham told authorities that the fire started while he and the children were asleep. An investigation revealed that it was intentionally set with a flammable liquid. His claims of heroic effort to save the girls were not borne out by his unscathed escape with little smoke in his lungs.

Final Words:
"The only statement I want to make is that I am an innocent man convicted of a crime I did not commit. I have been persecuted for 12 years for something I did not do. From God's dust I came and to dust I will return so the Earth shall become my throne. I gotta go, Road Dog." He expressed love to someone named Gabby and then addressed his ex-wife, Stacy Kuykendall, who was watching about 8 feet away through a window and said several times, "I hope you rot in Hell, bitch." He then attempted to maneuver his hand, strapped at the wrist, into an obscene gesture. His former wife showed no reaction to the outburst.

Class Act.

The jury also heard evidence of Willingham’s character. Witnesses testified that Willingham was verbally and physically abusive toward his family, and that at one time he beat his pregnant wife in an effort to cause a miscarriage. A friend of Willingham’s testified that Willingham once bragged about brutally killing a dog. In fact, Willingham openly admitted to a fellow inmate that he purposely started this fire to conceal evidence that the children had been abused.

Dr. James Grigson testified for the state at punishment. According to his testimony, Willingham fits the profile of a sociopath whose conduct becomes more violent over time, and who lacks a conscience. Grigson explained that a person with this degree of sociopathy commonly has no regard for other people’s property or for other human beings. He expressed his opinion that an individual demonstrating this type of behavior can not be rehabilitated in any manner, and that such a person certainly poses a continuing threat to society.

Sorry, this guy was not innocent. He got his day in court, and a court of 12 reasonable people put him to death for the most horrible crime a person could commit.

Not that it matters, but... There is no evidence that Willingham set the fire because the methods and techniques used at his trial have subsequently been debunked. They may as well have used devining rods.

If you want to find out the truth about the Willingham case - meaning NOT "pro-death penalty.com" - google Frontline or New Yorker + Willingham.

Not that it matters, but... There is no evidence that Willingham set the fire because the methods and techniques used at his trial have subsequently been debunked. They may as well have used devining rods.

If you want to find out the truth about the Willingham case - meaning NOT "pro-death penalty.com" - google Frontline or New Yorker + Willingham.

You mean look up liberal sources... right. That works.

Frankly, I look at it this way. Most NORMAL Parents I Know would rush right into the flames when their house was on fire to save their kids.

This douchebag was more concerned about his dartboard.

They should have fried him for that alone.

The fire was set in the doorway. That's classic arson. Slow down the firefighters so they can't get in the building.

Rick-Perry-Calendar.jpg

Rick Perry's handling of the case of Cameron Todd Willingham

Yeah....they're not big fans o' Change......​

.....in TEXAS.

"It has been fourteen years since Reed was convicted and sentenced to die for Stites’s murder. Since then, evidence has accumulated that calls into question the state’s case against him—evidence that includes ineffective lawyering, possible prosecutorial misconduct, junk science and racial bias. Perhaps most damning, it also includes a failure by police to fully investigate a man with a troubling history of violence against women: Jimmy Fennell, Stites’s fiancé, a former police officer who is currently serving prison time for kidnapping and sexual assault.

....Or....better, yet.....

Forum List

Back