Revolver for home defense and car ???

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and I don’t have the storage capacity for a long gun. My apartment is very full
Plus a shotgun is going to penetrate walls and destroy everything I own
You can replace things....you can't replace your life. ... :cool:
I still have that J mentality of things
It’s hard to get rid of lol

Sp101 vs 686 ??
Which one has less recoil
Which one has less maintenance
Thx
Can I fire a 1,000 rounds and not clean it ??

In my opinion the S&W 686 is easier to clean than the SP101 as it is easier to disassemble. I prefer to remove the cylinder from the frame when I clean a revolver but in the attached link On how to clean a revolver that isn’t required.

The SP101 is a small frame revolver while the 686 is a medium frame revolver. The SP101 holds 5 rounds, the 686 holds six and some versions more.

I bought a 3” S&W Model 60 to replace my Ruger SP101. It is a small frame weapon that holds five 38 special or .357 magnum rounds like the SP101 but I feel it fits my hand better and since I like the feel of the Model 60 I shoot it more accurately.

I have never fired 1000 rounds through a revolver without cleaning It. My guess is that it is possible but cleaning a revolver is not all that difficult.

How to Clean a Revolver

I would recommend the Ruger GP100. It is slightly larger than the SP101, and holds 6 rounds instead of 5. I am a fan of the .357 magnum. But you can shoot .39 Special +P in it all day. Very solid revolver.

Early you asked about what Glaser Safety Slugs are. They are rounds with frangible bullets made by CorBon now, I think. Basically it is a hollow lead bullet that is filled with #12 shot. When the bullet hits the lead opens up and the shot spreads. They have a lower rate of penetration on solid objects, such as wall. But the wound channel inside a body is devastating. A surgeon's nightmare.

Is it true ??
That revolvers are far less likely to jam than pistols and require far less maintenance??

My biggest problem with a revolver is the the amount of pressure required to pull the trigger through the double action which can throw your aim off. With a semi auto you can carry in condition two which is one in the chamber and the safety on. No hard pull on the trigger,just flip the safety off and it's ready to go.
And the low round count. You'll have six rounds to get the job done,I have 15 rounds of .45 and as we saw with the Kenosha shooting 7 shots werent enough to kill the guy at point blank range.
As far as reliability goes?
I've put thousands of rounds through my FNX Tactical .45 with zero jams.
Oh...and a semi auto is easier to carry because they're much thinner than a revolver.

Is it true ??
That revolvers are far less likely to jam than pistols and require far less maintenance??

My biggest problem with a revolver is the the amount of pressure required to pull the trigger through the double action which can throw your aim off. With a semi auto you can carry in condition two which is one in the chamber and the safety on. No hard pull on the trigger,just flip the safety off and it's ready to go.
And the low round count. You'll have six rounds to get the job done,I have 15 rounds of .45 and as we saw with the Kenosha shooting 7 shots werent enough to kill the guy at point blank range.
Oh...and a semi auto is easier to carry because they're much thinner than a revolver.
I shot a 40 and was terrified!!
I then shot a heavy revolver and felt normal

Ok 686 with 4 inch barrel looking good !!

Go and shoot one. See if it fits your hand well. See if the sights align naturally for you. Do not buy anything you haven’t shot.
Yes but do gun stores have shooting ranges in the back ??

Lots of them do. And many gun ranges have rentals you can try out.
Is there a waiting list ??
I can just go in and walk out with gun ??
Sorry for ignorance ??
Can I just go practice in the desert or will I get arrreted

Is it true ??

I shot a 40 and was terrified!!
I then shot a heavy revolver and felt normal

Are you a woman?

Forum List

Back