Reverse Discrimination: Another Win!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Note the blogger is black. Also a vet. Also a female. Links.

http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2007/02/15/urban-journalism-workshop-now-open-to-all-races/

Urban Journalism Workshop Now Open to All Races

UJW

You may recall that I blogged about a white student who was accepted to an Urban Journalism Workshop — sponsored by Virginia Commonwealth University (taxpayer-supported), the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, and the Richmond Times Dispatch — based on her qualifications and then rejected based on her race. The Center for Individual Rights (CIR) filed suit on her behalf. (Also see White Student Sues for Racial Discrimination)

[Update: I’ve corrected CIR’s name. I wrote “Center for Civil Rights” instead of “Center of Individual Rights.” Sorry for the confusion. But that’s why linking to sources is good! I think Ward Connerly’s organization was on my mind when I wrote the post this morning.]

Well, the case has been resolved in her favor. Last month, the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, Media Group Corporation, and Virginia Commonwealth University agreed to open the summer workshop to all races. Apparently, the agreement applies to workshops at other schools as well. Download a PDF copy of the settlement agreement. (Also see Journalism Programs to Be Race Blind)

One can make an argument that programs for “minorities” are necessary, given the seemingly intractable academic achievement gap problem and other disadvantages that disproportionately affect certain minorities (poor family formation, fatherless homes, etc). Private entities have the “freedom of association” to do just that, but public entities do not. It is against the law to discriminate against people on the basis of race, and taxpayers should not be coerced into supporting illegal programs. We do it all the time with illegal “immigration,” of course, but that’s a separate matter....

More here:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_02_11-2007_02_17.shtml#1171579312

[Eugene Volokh, February 15, 2007 at 5:41pm] Trackbacks
"Journalism Programs End Race Criteria":

So reports an AP story:

More than two dozen urban journalism programs throughout the U.S. will not use race as a criteria for enrollment under a settlement with a white high school student who was rejected by one of the programs.

The Dow Jones Newspaper Fund and other principals agreed to the settlement in return for the Center for Individual Rights withdrawing its legal challenge of the programs, both parties said Wednesday.

In September, the center filed the class-action lawsuit on behalf of Emily Smith, 16, who said she was accepted last spring to the Urban Journalism Workshop at Virginia Commonwealth University. One week later, she said, she was rejected after program sponsors learned she was white.

Under terms of the settlement, neither VCU, Dow Jones nor any of the principals admitted to any wrongdoing. VCU also agreed to pay $25,000 to Ms. Smith and her attorneys and admit her to the program next summer....

The settlement requires VCU and other programs sponsored by Dow Jones to select students "without regard to race." The programs also agree to publicly acknowledge they will offer no preferential treatment or discriminate against any prospect "on the basis of race or ethnicity." ...
I know the CIR people well, and think very highly of them -- this sounds like quite a significant victory.
9 Comments

Forum List

Back