Republican Congress approves 21% increase to Medicare Doctors

Siete

Platinum Member
May 19, 2014
The automatic 21% pay cut Medicare Doctors was facing is no more ... adios, gone.

Was it political pressure just buying votes, or was it the right thing to do ?

Late Tuesday, the Senate cleared a bill that will change the way Medicare pays physicians, ending the annual Medicare "doc fix," and create a new system that rewards doctors whose patients become healthier. The House already approved the legislation last month.

The bill, which passed 92-8, is a "milestone for physicians, and for the seniors and people with disabilities who rely on Medicare for their health care needs," President Obama said. It replaces the system known as the Sustainable Growth Rate formula that was created in 1997. It was meant to keep Medicare spending in check by limiting annual increases in reimbursements for physicians, the Los Angeles Times reports, but every year, Congress had to override the mandated limits. By passing the bill on Tuesday, an automatic 21 percent cut in Medicare fees that was set to go into effect Wednesday has been stopped

It is a vote for honesty. Budgets always included a cut to Medicare that was later rescinded, the "doc fix." It was a sham, which is what most of Democrat policies are. I applaud the GOP for putting some honesty back into government.

The automatic 21% pay cut Medicare Doctors was facing is no more ... adios, gone.

Late Tuesday, the Senate cleared a bill that will change the way Medicare pays physicians, ending the annual Medicare "doc fix," and create a new system that rewards doctors whose patients become healthier. The House already approved the legislation last month.

The bill, which passed 92-8, is a "milestone for physicians, and for the seniors and people with disabilities who rely on Medicare for their health care needs," President Obama said. It replaces the system known as the Sustainable Growth Rate formula that was created in 1997. It was meant to keep Medicare spending in check by limiting annual increases in reimbursements for physicians, the Los Angeles Times reports, but every year, Congress had to override the mandated limits. By passing the bill on Tuesday, an automatic 21 percent cut in Medicare fees that was set to go into effect Wednesday has been stopped
Very sad. Doctors are price gouging, submitting bogus bills ( fraud ), giving poor service, requiring too many senseless tests, and spending as little time as possible with patients. This just adds to the problems. But, the health care profession funnels untold $millions into the pockets of Congress. So, this comes as no surprise. Money talks, especially in Washington politics.

It's political the AARP is a powerful voting block for republicans, that's how they got The SS tax Cut repealed in 2012?

thats one way for the majority Republican Congress to kill the ACA. They're keeping their word, no doubt about it.

Very sad. Doctors are price gouging, submitting bogus bills ( fraud ), giving poor service, requiring too many senseless tests, and spending as little time as possible with patients. This just adds to the problems. But, the health care profession funnels untold $millions into the pockets of Congress. So, this comes as no surprise. Money talks, especially in Washington politics.
My favorite was the $623 blood test I got two weeks ago, that if I didn't have insurance I would have got stung for.

and create a new system that rewards doctors whose patients become healthier.
Huh???

Let me get this straight.

Doctors get some kind of benefits when they can show a record of their patients getting healthier?

You realize this creates an incentive for doctors to NOT take on patients who are severely ill or injured (or old), right? "Uh-oh, it's not too likely that this guy can ever improve despite the best medical science has to offer, so I'm not signing him up. Don't want my record to be blemished with a patient who gradually worsens and then dies."

Every time government tries to run things, and set "rules" for things they should have kept their noses out of, this is the kind of thing you get.

When will we ever learn???

These stupid liberals are CONSTANTLY demanding us list what the new gop congress has accomplished.

Here we have an example of what the left would sing from the roof tops had it been an Obama accomplishment but because it was a gop congress it or its motives are suspect.

It is a vote for honesty. Budgets always included a cut to Medicare that was later rescinded, the "doc fix." It was a sham, which is what most of Democrat policies are. I applaud the GOP for putting some honesty back into government.
The "doc fix" has been the result of the GOP Congress's budget from the 90s, not Democrats, you partisan hack.

It was one of the tricks the GOP used to "balance the budget" back then which was subsequently negated on an annual basis with a "doc fix". The problem originated with the GOP. The "doc fix" also originated with the GOP, and has since been carried on by the Democratic Congress.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back