Reparations: Who Gets Paid?

You misunderstood me. I was not making a case for or against reparations, only pointing out that it was the GOP that first proposed them. I only did it because PoliticalChic is always writing what you wrote, it was the Dems that favored slavery back in the day. If they favored slavery, which they did, it seems only fair to point out that the GOP favored reparations (not to mention tax increases, growth of the Federal government, and moving some rights from States to the Fed).

Personally, I think reparations are in order and I think we done at least a some of that by fighting discrimination and providing a leg up to the poor. I don't think cash payments will or should ever fly but providing every citizen decent healthcare, day care, elder care, housing, nutrition, and a quality education would go a long way to make up for our past.
I’ve often said there are three questions that would destroy most of the arguments on the left.

The first is: ‘Compared to what?’

The second is: ‘At what cost?’

And the third is: ‘What hard evidence do you have?’

-- Thomas Sowell

I’ve often said there are three questions that would destroy most of the arguments on the left.

-- Thomas Sowell
Great questions but the answers don't favor the anti-maskers or anti-vaxers.

40 acres and a mule sure wouldn't fly today. That means work.

Meanwhile, that was to be paid for by people who had owned slaves. Are there any slave owners today to take that money from?

No?

So you want everyone to pay for something they weren't involved in...including the descendants of slaves (unless you don't tax black people).

Furthermore, how would you decide who is entitled to reparations? Not all black people in America are the descendants of slaves. Can't just hand out checks to all of 'em, can you? How would you have people prove their ancestors were slaves?

And I think I should point out that President Johnson was a Democrat who opposed Federally-guaranteed rights for black Americans.
To say nothing of the fact that there are white people who are descendants of slaves. Good luck getting them payments.

You hate freedom. Understood. You want the government to hold your hand and powder your bottom the rest of your life, and you can't understand why some people want to live their lives on their own terms.
On the contrary, I love my freedoms. What I hate are others impinging on my freedoms because they think they are somehow more entitled to their freedoms than I am to mine.

If you want to live alone on top of a mountain, fine, go for it, I'd be more than happy to leave you alone. If you don't want to be a member of society, fine, go build your own society.

On the contrary, I love my freedoms. What I hate are others impinging on my freedoms because they think they are somehow more entitled to their freedoms than I am to mine.

If you want to live alone on top of a mountain, fine, go for it, I'd be more than happy to leave you alone. If you don't want to be a member of society, fine, go build your own society.
So you're saying what you want is more important than what I want.

That's what you accuse me of, but it's okay when you do it?

No one's saying you can't wear a mask. Wear two. Wear a dozen. Nobody cares. If you're still afraid, stay home.

-- Thomas Sowell
The fact you quote Sowell shows that you're an idiot.

You hate freedom. Understood. You want the government to hold your hand and powder your bottom the rest of your life, and you can't understand why some people want to live their lives on their own terms.
Whites have never done that. The government has powdered, fed, and burped you.

Oh, right -- he's not really black, is he?

Sowell's a lot smarter than you and I will ever be. You just hate him because he doesn't believe your bullshit.
Sowell is an idiot. Plain and simple.

PoliticalChic ,did you actually read the book From Here To Equality and if so, what were your objections? What do you disagree with?

The fact you quote Sowell shows that you're an idiot.

1656353588290.png

Forum List

Back