Remarkable alliance: Honeyguide birds and humans

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I'm not sure there is another example of this in nature, feel free to enlighten me if there is one. The Honeyguide bird of Africa has "learned" to communicate with African tribesman to clue them in where a beehive is located. They have a special call that is in essence "You're getting warmer!". The tribesman raid the hive, and per an agreement of sorts, the tribesman leaves a chunk of hive for the Honeyguide to munch on.

This seems to be a higher level of intelligence than we might attribute to a bird. How did the birds learn to do this?

I'm not sure there is another example of this in nature, feel free to enlighten me if there is one. The Honeyguide bird of Africa has "learned" to communicate with African tribesman to clue them in where a beehive is located. They have a special call that is in essence "You're getting warmer!". The tribesman raid the hive, and per an agreement of sorts, the tribesman leaves a chunk of hive for the Honeyguide to munch on.

This seems to be a higher level of intelligence than we might attribute to a bird. How did the birds learn to do this?
Meanwhile in America. . .

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Forum List

Back