Redmen

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Officials Called 'Redmen' a Racist Mascot. Then Voters Weighed In.

"In July, the school board in a small Connecticut town called Killingly took what local officials said was a long-overdue step: removing the name of the school mascot, Redmen, which some Native Americans have deemed racist."

Seems voters didn't like that move.

"Residents, apparently angered by the removal of the Redmen mascot, flocked to the polls in November and gave Republicans control of the town council and school board.

The new school board quickly voted to rescind the Redhawks name. And this week, at a contentious five-hour meeting, the board voted 5-4 to reinstate Redmen, which first became the school mascot in 1939."

Thoughts?

(or should I say, 'opinions'?)

My opinion is I wish the public would get this upset about shit that actually affects our daily lives, like endless warring, the national debt, our failing education system, etc.

"In July, the school board in a small Connecticut town called Killingly took what local officials said was a long-overdue step: removing the name of the school mascot, Redmen, which some Native Americans have deemed racist."

"Residents, apparently angered by the removal of the Redmen mascot, flocked to the polls in November and gave Republicans control of the town council and school board.

The new school board quickly voted to rescind the Redhawks name. And this week, at a contentious five-hour meeting, the board voted 5-4 to reinstate Redmen, which first became the school mascot in 1939."

Thoughts?

That's how the system is supposed to work.

I know nothing about Connecticut.

But I do know that in 2020 America, we should not say anything that unnecessarily offends anyone.

If some Native Americans oppose the term "Redmen," then stop using it.

I think that the term "Redskins" for that football team is much more offensive. I am guessing that eventually that name will be changed.

Typically teams want a tough name with a warrior image.
While the mascots may appear a caricature the team name is intended to be seen as tough and an unstoppable force to be reckoned with.

Maybe they should give up the names as all the whining has effectively erased that tough image of a warrior fighting a superior force with a victimhood mentality instead.

Best part was years ago when liberal flake Jane Fonda proudly did the tomahawk chop at the Twins and Braves World series.

A name the team still carries and is now owned by LibertyMedia.
Very interesting how much this company has interests in.
Asset List

OMG.
The Peanut Farmer did it too.:eek:
tomahawk-chop-jane-fonda.jpg
Why, Jimmy, why are you so racist?

Thoughts?

They should just call themselves “The Negroes “ and be done with it

Thoughts?

you associate the term Redmen with negroes?

Thoughts?

In terms of being offensive
RedHawks is a fine name, why keep a name that offends a race?

Thoughts?

Did you read the article?

"Still, Raymond Wood II, a Native American and longtime Republican town councilman, said he supported the Redmen name."

Thoughts?

Liberals really HAVE lost their minds. Insanity at its finest. It's nice to see sanity was restored and the name was reinstated.

Thoughts?

"Still, Raymond Wood II, a Native American and longtime Republican town councilman, said he supported the Redmen name."

“Longtime Republican town councilman”

Thoughts?

only repeating the part you like?

Didn't " Raymond Wood II, a Native Amerian " make an impression on you?

Republican is all you need to know

Republican is all you need to know

No, that's all YOU need to know.

I know nothing about Connecticut.

But I do know that in 2020 America, we should not say anything that unnecessarily offends anyone.

If some Native Americans oppose the term "Redmen," then stop using it.

I think that the term "Redskins" for that football team is much more offensive. I am guessing that eventually that name will be changed.
Since when do native Americans decide the names of schools that arent anywhere near their reservations? Let the district decide.

Forum List

Back