Redmen

Officials Called 'Redmen' a Racist Mascot. Then Voters Weighed In.

"In July, the school board in a small Connecticut town called Killingly took what local officials said was a long-overdue step: removing the name of the school mascot, Redmen, which some Native Americans have deemed racist."

Seems voters didn't like that move.

"Residents, apparently angered by the removal of the Redmen mascot, flocked to the polls in November and gave Republicans control of the town council and school board.

The new school board quickly voted to rescind the Redhawks name. And this week, at a contentious five-hour meeting, the board voted 5-4 to reinstate Redmen, which first became the school mascot in 1939."

Thoughts?

(or should I say, 'opinions'?)
They should just call themselves “The Negroes “ and be done with it

you associate the term Redmen with negroes?

In terms of being offensive
RedHawks is a fine name, why keep a name that offends a race?
Why would a race be offended by the word Redmen? That isnt "red men", its Redmen. Are black people going to be angry over a name like Blackwell, for example? Its bullshit.

I know nothing about Connecticut.

But I do know that in 2020 America, we should not say anything that unnecessarily offends anyone.

If some Native Americans oppose the term "Redmen," then stop using it.

I think that the term "Redskins" for that football team is much more offensive. I am guessing that eventually that name will be changed.
Since when do native Americans decide the names of schools that arent anywhere near their reservations? Let the district decide.
Like Redmen?

Yes, they are allowed to say if they find the term offensive

"In July, the school board in a small Connecticut town called Killingly took what local officials said was a long-overdue step: removing the name of the school mascot, Redmen, which some Native Americans have deemed racist."

"Residents, apparently angered by the removal of the Redmen mascot, flocked to the polls in November and gave Republicans control of the town council and school board.

The new school board quickly voted to rescind the Redhawks name. And this week, at a contentious five-hour meeting, the board voted 5-4 to reinstate Redmen, which first became the school mascot in 1939."

Thoughts?

Why would a race be offended by the word Redmen? That isnt "red men", its Redmen. Are black people going to be angry over a name like Blackwell, for example? Its bullshit.

Why don’t they name the team “Negroes” instead?

But I do know that in 2020 America, we should not say anything that unnecessarily offends anyone.

I think that the term "Redskins" for that football team is much more offensive. I am guessing that eventually that name will be changed.
Since when do native Americans decide the names of schools that arent anywhere near their reservations? Let the district decide.
Like Redmen?

And we are allowed to say "suck my nuts".

Thoughts?

Why would they use a racial slur?

I think we are trying too hard to be PC; we got bigger and more important issues to deal with than this. And in my view, references to native Americans is being done out of respect. What's so bad about that?
Where is the school with the nickname whiteman? We don't see that. But you guys are always ready to tell other races what to do.

Thoughts?

Did you read the article?

"Still, Raymond Wood II, a Native American and longtime Republican town councilman, said he supported the Redmen name."
And here we have the anecdotal.

Redmen is a racial slur. And maybe whites might want to stop trying to tell themselves what black people think.

Thoughts?

Liberals really HAVE lost their minds. Insanity at its finest. It's nice to see sanity was restored and the name was reinstated.
Show me the school in a non white community that has named it's teams the whiteman.

Like Redmen?

I bet you say that often

I think we are trying too hard to be PC; we got bigger and more important issues to deal with than this. And in my view, references to native Americans is being done out of respect. What's so bad about that?
Where is the school with the nickname whiteman? We don't see that. But you guys are always ready to tell other races what to do.
You people would go ape shit if there was a school named that. Your example is therefore dumb.

Redmen is a racial slur. And maybe whites might want to stop trying to tell themselves what black people think.
Ssys the guy who spends every minute of his day telling white people how to think. :laugh:

Like Redmen?

I bet you say that often
I bet you DO it often. :laugh:

To me, if a team calls itself Indians, Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles, Apaches or any other tribal names they are trying to honor the culture

Where they go wrong is in dressing up and dancing yelling...woo, woo, woo, woo and doing a tomahawk chop.

That is mocking a culture. So is calling them Redmen or Redskins. Those terms were used in our society to demean Indians not to honor them.

You people would go ape shit if there was a school named that. Your example is therefore dumb.
No the example isn't dumb. That fact is you people are doing all the nicknaming and that's why you don't see a High school college or anything else naming it's team the honkies while whites like you think you can use equally offensive names about other races.

Ssys the guy who spends every minute of his day telling white people how to think. :laugh:
When the day comes that you have lived in a majority black country, been educated in that majority black country, had to learn how those blacks thought about you in order to survive, worked most of your life as the only white in a black business , attended years of social functions where you we in the only white in a black environment, then come tell me what blacks think. Because then you would know how it is to be black in America. So as long as you're a racist, I'm going to point it out.

Thoughts?

These older voters will start to die off, then it will be changed again. So it goes...

Forum List

Back