Red Robin is Cutting 570 Jobs. Can You Guess Why?

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

Has to be fake news. Progs swore this doesn't happen.

Gee, you mean I was right months ago when I predicted this outcome? <yawn>

Anyone notice some restaurants using ipad menus with nice pictures and descriptions of the food items? Anyone care to guess what is next?

Has to be fake news. Progs swore this doesn't happen.

Even though I am against artificial minimum wages, this is fake news. Red Robin said nothing about minimum wage leading to this and they are also cutting corporate HQ staff, which would have nothing to do with minimum wage.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Even though I am against artificial minimum wages, this is fake news. Red Robin said nothing about minimum wage leading to this and they are also cutting corporate HQ staff, which would have nothing to do with minimum wage.

What part of the lead sentence gave you the most trouble?

Red Robin, a popular burger chain, will cut jobs at all 570 of its locations because, chief financial officer Guy Constant said, “We need ... to address the labor [cost] increases we’ve seen.”

OH no! Those bussers will never find work. Unless the cross the street and apply at the next place .

How would a minimum wage hike have nothing to do with jobs at the HQ? Everybody in the company gets paid out of the same profits. If the labor costs increase at the retail locations it most certainly affects employees across the board.

Food's gone downhill the last 10 years...and most of them are in malls where rents are going up because malls are losing customers too.....

OH no! Those bussers will never find work. Unless the cross the street and apply at the next place .

Why am I not surprised at this typical elitist response from a privileged white Regressive.

My local McDonald's has gone from 12 employees and one manager on staff for mornings down to 6... three cooks and three counter and drive up personnel and one manager... they added two new positions but they are order kiosks...6 hard working college students lost their job due to ridiculous minimum wage hikes... Once again a bunch of idiot do gooders doing great harm to make themselves feel good...hey libs!!!!! stop trying to help people you don't know what the hell you are doing!!!!

Is Red Robin still open? :eek:

Did they flip the open sign over and shut off the lights last time you showed up?

I forgot they existed until today. Maybe they could compete better with more than 6 locations. :dunno:

When I lived in Ohio, they had 6 locations in Columbus, I believe

Columbus deserves Red Robin.

I've never been to Columbus or a Red Robin. I just felt like shitting on them for no reason. :dunno:

What part of the lead sentence gave you the most trouble?

Red Robin, a popular burger chain, will cut jobs at all 570 of its locations because, chief financial officer Guy Constant said, “We need ... to address the labor [cost] increases we’ve seen.”

The part that there is no actual evidence he said it. It was “reported” he made the comments at a trade meeting. The actual company press release did not include the statement.

I tend to go with what is on paper and not what Bob told Jane that Bill said.

Is Red Robin still open? :eek:

Did they flip the open sign over and shut off the lights last time you showed up?

I forgot they existed until today. Maybe they could compete better with more than 6 locations. :dunno:

When I lived in Ohio, they had 6 locations in Columbus, I believe

Columbus deserves Red Robin.

I've never been to Columbus or a Red Robin. I just felt like shitting on them for no reason. :dunno:
I took my son to one and it cost me thirty bucks for two..

Forum List

Back