Why are things so expensive?

Crepitus tried to start a thread on this and blamed corporations, which is the only think the Left knows to do. However, the politically deranged partisan hacks are either incapable of understanding the truth, or they purposefully suppress it in order to continue business as usual for their own political wants. However, without a link and any factual backing whatsoever, the thread was closed. LOL.

Surprise, surprise.

But it is not really that hard to understand at all. Inflation is causing prices to rise, so what causes inflation?

At its root, inflation is driven by too much demand relative to supply. More precisely, as former Fed chair Ben Bernanke writes in his macroeconomics textbook with Andrew Abel: “Inflation occurs when the aggregate quantity of goods demanded at any particular price level is rising more quickly than the aggregate quantity of goods supplied at that price level.”

But what causes demand to outpace supply? That can happen for a few different reasons, and to understand them it helps to consider the three pillars of macroeconomics that David Moss describes in his book A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics: What Managers, Executives, and Students Need to Know. Moss structures the book based on output (how much an economy produces), money (how much currency people have or can easily get their hands on), and expectations (what people think will happen next). All three have a role in inflation.
1. Supply shocks: Inflation often happens because of supply shocks — major disruptions to an important economic input, like energy. For example, if a lot of oil fields stop producing oil because of a war, the price of energy increases. Since energy is a critical input into almost every other good, prices of other things rise, too. This is often called “cost-push inflation.”

I would add that when there is a global war on fossil fuels, this also mandates that the reduction of fossil fuels creates a disruption. When governments around the world begin to curb the fossil fuels industry from obtaining their fossil fuels, the only possible end result will be higher prices for everything. But this article is too PC to bring this topic up. Barak Obama basically admitted to this long ago

2. Money supply: Then there’s the demand side of the equation. An increase in the money supply will tend to cause inflation, as Moss explains. “With more cash in their pockets and bank accounts, consumers often find new reasons to buy things,” he writes in the book. “But unless the supply of goods and services has increased in the meantime, the consumers’ mounting demand for products will simply bid up prices, thus stoking inflation. Economists sometimes say that inflation rises when ‘too much money is chasing too few goods.’” This is sometimes referred to as “demand-pull inflation.”

I would add that with government printing money more than ever before, the only possible result can be increased inflation. Again, the article is too PC to point this fact out as well.

3. Unemployment and inflation. Recall that the root of inflation is too much demand relative to supply. Another way of thinking about the same idea is to ask how much “slack” there is in the economy at any point in time. An economy produces stuff using people’s time and ingenuity, machines and other infrastructure, and natural resources. But for various reasons, economies sometimes don’t produce as much as they could: There are lots of workers without jobs, factories that aren’t producing anything, etc. In the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, this high unemployment happened in many countries. There was a lot of “slack” in the economy, meaning lots of economic resources weren’t being put to use.

Again, the article is too PC to bring up the fact that the worldwide Covid shutdowns did this precise thing. The fact that there is a worldwide war on fossil fuels and a worldwide economic shutdown is why there is a worldwide inflation problem. However, the insane spending in the US has made things far worse in the US.

Explain to me where "all this demand" is? The GDP which is a measure of all the demand is moving along at a reasonable pace of 3%. However profits are up at record levels. What are you going to believe? That secret demand that none of us can see is causing prices to raise? Or profits and supply? Here are some examples:

1. Selling 2m fewer cars a year in the US with record car prices.... hmmm... so its demand?
2. Selling fewer houses a year in the US with record prices... hmmm.. so its demand?

Nope. Its supply and profits.

Explain to me where "all this demand" is? The GDP which is a measure of all the demand is moving along at a reasonable pace of 3%. However profits are up at record levels. What are you going to believe? That secret demand that none of us can see is causing prices to raise? Or profits and supply? Here are some examples:

1. Selling 2m fewer cars a year in the US with record car prices.... hmmm... so its demand?
2. Selling fewer houses a year in the US with record prices... hmmm.. so its demand?

Nope. Its supply and profits.
How's the market for those EVs the government is shoving down our throats. If the government stopped trying to run everything, prices would drop. It's not the role of government to tell me what to purchase.

How's the market for those EVs the government is shoving down our throats. If the government stopped trying to run everything, prices would drop. It's not the role of government to tell me what to purchase.
It doesn’t matter what you think the reason is. Less car sales is not an indication of DEMAND.

Very true

Now, let’s look at what has caused the current spike in inflation.

COVID
Shut down international trade, ships lined up at ports because nobody was there to unload them. The international supply chain was disrupted.

Ukraine war
Oil and grain shipments were disrupted by the war.
Caused a spike in fuel prices and an increase in the price of food.

Now, Republicans have used these events to blame our President. If you can show other countries did not see the same inflation, you may have a point.

But you can’t do that
As you put it with Trump, he is president and it's all his fault.

It doesn’t matter what you think the reason is. Less car sales is not an indication of DEMAND.
No Biden's regulations are driving up gasoline cars prices. He is doing it on purpose, to force people in EV's. Most people cannot afford an $80,000 car, that the battery only last about 4 year's. Liberalism destroys everything.

No Biden's regulations are driving up gasoline cars prices. He is doing it on purpose, to force people in EV's. Most people cannot afford an $80,000 car, that the battery only last about 4 year's. Liberalism destroys everything.
There is no demand. Look at the sales. They are half.

U.S.: car sales per year 1951-2023 | Statista.

Half. It’s not demand.
IMG_0978.jpeg

We are suffering from shrinkflation

About 10% of price increases in recent years come from companies charging the same price -- or more -- for smaller items

The phenomenon, dubbed “shrinkflation,” is gaining more notice even as conventional inflation has come down appreciably from the heights seen in 2022 and 2023

President Joe Biden released a Super Bowl YouTube ad calling on companies to “put a stop to this.”

Another category, snacks, saw 9.8% of its inflation over that period attributable to shrinkflation.
The report noted other categories where shrinkflation contributed significantly to overall inflation: household cleaning products (7.3% due to shrinkflation), coffee (7.2%) and candy and chewing gum (7%).
The report also included examples of companies using shrinkflation and related strategies to boost corporate bottom lines.
In one instance, the CEO of a major toilet paper maker was reported to have said on a quarterly financial reporting call that consumers were unlikely to change their buying habits even if they realized they were paying more for less.
Management by Imagination

The economic success of Diploma Dumbos means failure for their customers. "I got mine, and I'm not going to let you get yours."

While the ruling class's fake alternative is, "I got mine, and I'm going to give yours away."

Being told to say that they're greedy covers up the fact that they're too incompetent to make a profit any other way. These people must be replaced, along with whoever hires such slavish brown-noses.

Yes, because environmental regulations are pricing the average American out of a new car. Started with Obama's cash for clunkers failure.
You are on a thread where Votto claims that prices are high because of high demand. That is what we are debating. Start your own thread if you want to talk car regulations. But i am glad you and i agree.. this isn’t a high demand issue.

But here you are on car pricing: Cars have been the poster child of the current inflation crisis. Dealership executives have made clear in earnings calls why: not because they’re passing on higher costs to consumers, but because they want to net record profits.

https://jacobin.com/2023/06/inflation-prices-profits-car-dealerships-controls#:~:text=While%20we've%20been%20told,volume%2C%20higher%2Dprice%20model%20was

You are on a thread where Votto claims that prices are high because of high demand. That is what we are debating. Start your own thread if you want to talk car regulations. But i am glad you and i agree.. this isn’t a high demand issue.

But here you are on car pricing: Cars have been the poster child of the current inflation crisis. Dealership executives have made clear in earnings calls why: not because they’re passing on higher costs to consumers, but because they want to net record profits.

https://jacobin.com/2023/06/inflation-prices-profits-car-dealerships-controls#:~:text=While%20we've%20been%20told,volume%2C%20higher%2Dprice%20model%20was
Just informing the uninformed.

Management by Imagination

The economic success of Diploma Dumbos means failure for their customers. "I got mine, and I'm not going to let you get yours."

While the ruling class's fake alternative is, "I got mine, and I'm going to give yours away."

Being told to say that they're greedy covers up the fact that they're too incompetent to make a profit any other way. These people must be replaced, along with whoever hires such slavish brown-noses.

Are they incompetent? Because look at their lives. Are they worrying about inflation? Nope. They're rich. They're playing your broke ass.

Alan Greenspan said his job was to keep wages just low enough that we didn't revolt. We are close huh?

Crepitus tried to start a thread on this and blamed corporations, which is the only think the Left knows to do. However, the politically deranged partisan hacks are either incapable of understanding the truth, or they purposefully suppress it in order to continue business as usual for their own political wants. However, without a link and any factual backing whatsoever, the thread was closed. LOL.

Surprise, surprise.

But it is not really that hard to understand at all. Inflation is causing prices to rise, so what causes inflation?

At its root, inflation is driven by too much demand relative to supply. More precisely, as former Fed chair Ben Bernanke writes in his macroeconomics textbook with Andrew Abel: “Inflation occurs when the aggregate quantity of goods demanded at any particular price level is rising more quickly than the aggregate quantity of goods supplied at that price level.”

But what causes demand to outpace supply? That can happen for a few different reasons, and to understand them it helps to consider the three pillars of macroeconomics that David Moss describes in his book A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics: What Managers, Executives, and Students Need to Know. Moss structures the book based on output (how much an economy produces), money (how much currency people have or can easily get their hands on), and expectations (what people think will happen next). All three have a role in inflation.
1. Supply shocks: Inflation often happens because of supply shocks — major disruptions to an important economic input, like energy. For example, if a lot of oil fields stop producing oil because of a war, the price of energy increases. Since energy is a critical input into almost every other good, prices of other things rise, too. This is often called “cost-push inflation.”

I would add that when there is a global war on fossil fuels, this also mandates that the reduction of fossil fuels creates a disruption. When governments around the world begin to curb the fossil fuels industry from obtaining their fossil fuels, the only possible end result will be higher prices for everything. But this article is too PC to bring this topic up. Barak Obama basically admitted to this long ago

2. Money supply: Then there’s the demand side of the equation. An increase in the money supply will tend to cause inflation, as Moss explains. “With more cash in their pockets and bank accounts, consumers often find new reasons to buy things,” he writes in the book. “But unless the supply of goods and services has increased in the meantime, the consumers’ mounting demand for products will simply bid up prices, thus stoking inflation. Economists sometimes say that inflation rises when ‘too much money is chasing too few goods.’” This is sometimes referred to as “demand-pull inflation.”

I would add that with government printing money more than ever before, the only possible result can be increased inflation. Again, the article is too PC to point this fact out as well.

3. Unemployment and inflation. Recall that the root of inflation is too much demand relative to supply. Another way of thinking about the same idea is to ask how much “slack” there is in the economy at any point in time. An economy produces stuff using people’s time and ingenuity, machines and other infrastructure, and natural resources. But for various reasons, economies sometimes don’t produce as much as they could: There are lots of workers without jobs, factories that aren’t producing anything, etc. In the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, this high unemployment happened in many countries. There was a lot of “slack” in the economy, meaning lots of economic resources weren’t being put to use.

Again, the article is too PC to bring up the fact that the worldwide Covid shutdowns did this precise thing. The fact that there is a worldwide war on fossil fuels and a worldwide economic shutdown is why there is a worldwide inflation problem. However, the insane spending in the US has made things far worse in the US.

Here is the sad reality of capitalism that requires growth to work

Prices double-100 years
prices double-50 years
prices double 25 years
prices double 12 1/2 years
prices double 6 1/4 years
prices double 3 years

Things are getting out of control. The rich NEVER get enough.

Load up fast before the shortages show and there will be hyper inflation by the fall .
That Baltimore False Flag will hurt much more than 9/11.

Forum List

Back