Recreational 'Pot' Legalization... pre-existing gun ownership/use?

KeiserC

VIP Member
Mar 18, 2017
With more states added to the list of legalizing 'recreational pot' it begs the question... what happens to those who already own and use guns (Not Medical Marijuana Card Holders)? This is obviously not pertaining to carrying or using guns while high, transporting pot, selling pot, etc. _____ Essentially, think about the legal consumption and possession of a 6-pack of beer in context of your legal possession and use of your firearm. Will the two scenarios (beer / recreational pot) end up being tantamount...?

A search reveals not much having been discussed since 2015 on USMB... Specifically, I'm in VT and have not found anything on this issue on a state level.
(Below, A typically ambiguous article... when it comes to recreational use and those who already own / use firearms)

My guns or my ganja? Firearm-owning pot fans face a choice

Disclaimer... I don't use marijuana, but find this issue to be, increasingly relevant, & one 'skirted deliberately' by our legislators here in VT and elsewhere.

Last edited:
You can get a weapon if you are just released from an insane asylum and are certified insane, but you can't if you smoke medical MJ...Yeah that seems justified..Yet more people with mental problems kill than pot smokers..See any correlation? Our leaders evidently want people to die....

Last edited:
You can get a weapon if you are just released from an insane asylum and are certifies insane, but you can't if you smoke medical MJ...Yeah that seems justified..Yet more people with mental problems kill than pot smokers..See any correlation? Our leaders evidently want people to die....
Yes, you "can" illegally do so. As in the latest TX shooting were errors were made / "slipping through the cracks".

You can get a weapon if you are just released from an insane asylum and are certifies insane, but you can't if you smoke medical MJ...Yeah that seems justified..Yet more people with mental problems kill than pot smokers..See any correlation? Our leaders evidently want people to die....
Yes, you "can" illegally do so. As in the latest TX shooting were errors were made / "slipping through the cracks".
I have had firearms since I was a kid and I never plan on surrendering anything to my govt...I grow weed and smoke weed yet I have no desire to kill humans....Another moment when progressives playing moralist with our laws and our lives is a joke beyond reproach...The republic is a joke and seeks to subjugate all Americans as they once did the native American Indians..

I have had firearms since I was a kid and I never plan on surrendering anything to my govt...I grow weed and smoke weed yet I have no desire to kill humans....Another moment when progressives playing moralist with our laws and our lives is a joke beyond reproach...The republic is a joke and seeks to subjugate all Americans as they once did the native American Indians..
Well I'm sure many would applaud your 'libertarian' practices and ideals... What are your thoughts on the actual legislation in the various states legalizing 'recreational use'... It's something that is shaping before our eyes, so "we" can have a very real affect on the process...effecting change.

It should be legalized everywhere. Guns have nothing to do with it.
Well, I would challenge you to look at the coexistence of both... since they are both (independently) legal in a number of states and a legal juxtaposition is emerging... perhaps pot use allows for the processing of only one issue at a time...???

This is an issue mostly for new gun purchases. If you indicate on the 4473 that you use marijuana, you're a prohibited person, regardless your state's laws.

Interestingly, I just posted on 'Legal' this exact question.... It's rather clear cut if you have a 'MM Card' but not so much if you already have firearms and your state now allows 'recreational' use...

This is an issue mostly for new gun purchases. If you indicate on the 4473 that you use marijuana, you're a prohibited person, regardless your state's laws.

Interestingly, I just posted on 'Legal' this exact question.... It's rather clear cut if you have a 'MM Card' but not so much if you already have firearms and your state now allows 'recreational' use...
Well, there's your answer.

If you want to buy a new gun, you have to stop using pot, even if it's legal in your state.

Well, there's your answer.

If you want to buy a new gun, you have to stop using pot, even if it's legal in your state.

They don't address the issue of rec. use with guns already owned. Just as they don't address 'legal sale' in the state while making possession and rec. use legal...

This isn't much of an issue for those who already possess firearms and are authorized to use marijuana in their state, or where it's otherwise legal to do so, or with regard to intrastate gun sales where no background check is required.

This isn't much of an issue for those who already possess firearms and are authorized to use marijuana in their state, or where it's otherwise legal to do so, or with regard to intrastate gun sales where no background check is required.

Can I ask what you are basing this on? It just seems to be unspecified by the legislation... Just as (for instance VT) it will be legal to own x 2 plants & 1 oz of weed BUT not legal to buy... ? It is just left unspecified by the legislature...

Can I ask what you are basing this on? It just seems to be unspecified by the legislation... Just as (for instance VT) it will be legal to own x 2 plants & 1 oz of weed BUT not legal to buy... ? It is just left unspecified by the legislature...
It’s based on the fact that most – but not all – states have no registration requirement for firearms.

For example, a Florida resident can engage in a face-to-face intrastate sale of a firearm with another Florida resident absent a background check or any type of documentation, and possess that firearm where neither the state of Florida nor the Federal government is aware he has that gun.

When the state authorizes that person to use medical marijuana, is it unaware of the fact that he is also a gunowner, and potentially a prohibited person under Federal law.

In Colorado, however, a face-to-face intrastate sale of a firearm between two private state residents is subject to a background check, where the buyer may be compelled to identify as a user of marijuana, rendering him a prohibited person.

Whether this is an issue or not depends on the marijuana and guns laws of a given state.

And of course it’s not an issue in states where marijuana use is comprehensively illegal.

At least in MN if you have a conceal carry, you are in violation if under the influence of ANY substance while armed.

I guess the point of the thread has been largely missed... In states where it is legal, would 'recreational pot' be the equivalent of 'recreational beer' for legal firearm owners? Forget purchasing firearms, the whole medical marijuana thing, under the influence etc.

The ignorant stupidity of this issue is readily apparent in the absence of any regulation pertaining to the use of alcoholic beverages by gun owners. This is especially significant considering the fact that marijuana use is known to suppress violent impulses while drinking alcohol is commonly known to have the opposite effect.

Forum List

Back