Reconciliation To Pass Debt Ceiling

Lesh

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2016
Since July, Republicans have been urging Democrats to raise the debt ceiling via reconciliation, a messy and potentially lengthy budget process they would rather avoid. Republicans could potentially force votes on an unlimited number of amendments designed to maximize Democratic divisions. Democrats would also need to raise the debt ceiling by a specific number, rather than simply suspend it, generating even more fodder for GOP campaigns.
“Our members, I think, would be cooperative with not making that unwieldy or unnecessarily time-consuming,” Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) said. “There’s a way to get to the finish line here, with plenty of time to spare.”

Yea sure buddy. We can trust you. Right.

Since July, Republicans have been urging Democrats to raise the debt ceiling via reconciliation, a messy and potentially lengthy budget process they would rather avoid. Republicans could potentially force votes on an unlimited number of amendments designed to maximize Democratic divisions. Democrats would also need to raise the debt ceiling by a specific number, rather than simply suspend it, generating even more fodder for GOP campaigns.
“Our members, I think, would be cooperative with not making that unwieldy or unnecessarily time-consuming,” Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) said. “There’s a way to get to the finish line here, with plenty of time to spare.”

Reconciliation isn’t messy or lengthy…it’s faster. That’s the point.

Reconciliation isn’t messy or lengthy…it’s faster. That’s the point.
Bullshit. Read the OP

Reconciliation is MASSIVE to begin with and it allows all sorts of stalling and obstruction by Republicans

How ...stupid?

NOT raising the debt ceiling puts us in default.

That means all sorts of bad things. One being Recession
to who? what bad things?

a recession? given the horrible economy xiden and the dembot cult has given us, would we even notice? people aren’t working now, ans not for lack of jobs

Bullshit. Read the OP

Reconciliation is MASSIVE to begin with and it allows all sorts of stalling and obstruction by Republicans
i don’t need to read the Op-ed again

what’s “massive” about it? i’ve read the actual legislation that created it, it makes things move much faster with less obstructions…ie it only take 51 votes to pass, no filibuster

How ...stupid?

NOT raising the debt ceiling puts us in default.

That means all sorts of bad things. One being Recession
Who told you that? The debt ceiling is about tomorrow's spending, not debt already accrued. The IRS collects tax money even if the debt ceiling is not raised.

Of $320 billion collected every month, $44 billion goes to pay the debt.

You will pay your tax. The irs will collect your tax. The treasury will pay the debt, before everything else according to the 14th amendment.

The nation is I believe 28 trillion dollars in debt so we are aruging about raising the debt ceiling again so we can borrow and spend more and go even deeper into debt. This is like the people who run up debt max out their credit cards and think getting more credit cards and running up more debt is the solution. The only difference is in the real world such actions have consquences where in the political world they have none which is why we stay in this pattern.

Reconciliation, yep that's the ticket. JUST DO IT! And stop whining.

No, but he did take away the democrats' bitch about not having enough time to raise the debt ceiling through reconciliation. IOW, now they've got no excuse for not doing it themselves.
Once the Republicans start their obstruction dance...we'll be right back where we started

Forum List

Back