Recommend a book for a fellow-poster

I agree with Si modo [sadly, she has not taken her own recommendations - do as I say, not as I do kinda gal]

"Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer. The edition which includes the chapter, "Why Smart People Believe Weird Things".

From the book, "Most of us, most of the time, want certainty, want to control our environment, and want nice, neat, simple explanations. All of this may have some evolutionary basis, but in a multifarious society with complex problems, these characteristics can radically oversimplify reality and interfere with critical thinking and problems solving".

With a little thought one might 'see' an explanation here for the popularity of Sarah Palin and the tea party movement.

Last edited:
Mudwhistle wrote:

The Feminine Mystique is kind of out-dated. Equality has become a reality. The book was geared toward a time when women were relegated to a life of child-bearing and that of a subservient housewife. It was groundbreaking when published but those days are thankfully long gone.

Gender equality is not a reality, mudwhistle, though strides have been made. As for the suffering of "subservient housewives", since we still have women who spend part of their lives as stay at home moms, and far more who seem to think they'd like to, the book still has relevance.

I see Maddie is, again, deciding what other people want. Many women want to be stay at home mom's... they don't 'seem to think they'd like to'.... they actually do want to. What is wrong with that? I have great respect for women who prioritize their children over their own selfish desires.

B072.jpg

Economics in One Lesson

Atlas Shrugged ...Written by the greatest feminist of all time...I recommend it to all liberal/progressive members...It is a little deep, but if you work real hard(I know that is an oxymoron for libs), then you may come away realizing what is right and wrong in the world :)

Get a hardback version of it if you can because the paperback's print is tiny....hard on the eyes.

I agree with Si modo [sadly, she has not taken her own recommendations - do as I say, not as I do kinda gal]

"Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer. The edition which includes the chapter, "Why Smart People Believe Weird Things".

From the book, "Most of us, most of the time, want certainty, want to control our environment, and want nice, neat, simple explanations. All of this may have some evolutionary basis, but in a multifarious society with complex problems, these characteristics can radically oversimplify reality and interfere with critical thinking and problems solving".

With a little thought one might 'see' an explanation here for the popularity of Sarah Palin and the tea party movement.

The reason Sarah Palin and the Tea Party is popular is because most rational people can recognize the reckless nature of this government and want to do something before it gets out of hand.

Obviously the difference between description and attack excapes you. Consider the reason why you were banned from posting and not welcome back at your former haunt.
Obviously the meaning of your fav fallacy escapes you.

Anything more complicated than the current date and time goes over Whine Crapper's intellectual pay grade.
I think it's the neuroses that interfere with any rational thought, to be honest.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism to anyone whose brain seems to be incapable of focusing on any issue other than this; and for those who would like to have their eyes opened even more on the hoax than they are already.

Actually, the whole series of Politically Incorrect Guide books are good reads.

Atlas Shrugged ...Written by the greatest feminist of all time...I recommend it to all liberal/progressive members...It is a little deep, but if you work real hard(I know that is an oxymoron for libs), then you may come away realizing what is right and wrong in the world :)

O for fuck's sake, glew. I have read everything Ayn Rand ever wrote and I dun consider that broad a feminist -- she's a rabid capitalist. T'aint my fault it took some of you Johnny-Come-Latelies a few more decades to discover her.

BTW, "The Fountainhead" is better.

Amazon.com Review

The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fountainhead-Centennial-Hardcover-Ayn-Rand/dp/0452286751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290097844&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Fountainhead (Centennial Edition Hardcover) (9780452286757): Ayn Rand: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Forum List

Back