Recent survey suggests suprising Covid stats on personal finances.

That seems to be common. Why would they return to work when they are getting unemployment plus. They are making more money on the dole. Why go back.

I'm sure that's the case with a lot of people. With the first government unemployment addition, along with our state unemployment, it was equal to somebody making 60K a year. A lot of blue collar workers didn't make that kind of money, but even if you did, you were still getting paid the same to stay home than working, so what's the choice?

The reality is more and more of us baby boomers are retired, so those retired didn't have any change in their financial lives. Same holds true if you're on disability. The government told me I was too sick to work and stripped me of my job and career in November of 2019, but it was that loss and not Covid that affected my financial situation. So technically, Covid had no impact on my life.

During the Reagan recession, that didn't bother me either because I was in medical at the time. Nobody in medical seen any change, and same goes with those who work in the food industry. Look at the paper and sanitation producers. They were working 7 days a week trying to keep up with demand and replacing empty warehouses. Even today beverage companies cannot get enough aluminum cans. When people quit going to bars and restaurants, they began to buy their beverages at the store to drink at home. So your beer and fountain drinks that came out of kegs are now being consumed at home and we ran out of cans. In fact they are predicting there won't be enough beverage cans until next year when the new can companies are finally complete.

The stock market (with some dips) continued to increase as well. People who make a living off the stock market did very well financially even until today.

So even though this is a poll of less than 3,000 participants, the results don't shock me in the least.
Watch what happens to the auto industry in the next year. I know someone who sells fleets and he can't get cars--the mfr. don't have them. Check the lots in your town, all of the dealers have depleted stocks. My dealership has been sending me offers on my car that I just bought a year ago.

Watch what happens to the auto industry in the next year. I know someone who sells fleets and he can't get cars--the mfr. don't have them. Check the lots in your town, all of the dealers have depleted stocks. My dealership has been sending me offers on my car that I just bought a year ago.

Last summer my washing machine took a dump. I called the repairman who told me they no longer make parts for that machine. I went to Home Depot to buy a new one. After I made my selection, they told me if I was lucky, they'd deliver it in about a month. I'm not worried about next month, I need a washer right now.

So I had to go to a second hand appliance store. They delivered the unit the next day. Sure, I wanted a new one, but I'm not about to wait over a month to get it.

Forum List

Back