Rebecca Friedrichs 4 things to restore Our educational system

Maybe our confused little friend here doesn't understand that a teacher can, generally speaking, use any material they want to supplement the TEXTBOOK and the official CURRICULUM in almost any class. You could use the back of a cereal box if you could show how it supported a lesson plan. Most teachers have no time for extra crap given the schedule of REQUIRED MATERIAL and/or topics they have to get through in a given quarter.

It's funny you should say that.

I have a quick bell work where I show different images of cereal boxes on the board and the students have to analyze them and figure out what they all have in common. The answer is the mascots marketed toward children almost always look downwards. Then the students have to figure out why-the answer is because children are obviously shorter and the companies want the mascots to be looking directly at the children. We us this to help give them practice using OPTIC charts before we tackle more difficult content.

Again, you stupid fucker, it teaches you what to read, not HOW to read!
You stated that!!! You said it!!! I simply repeated what you said, to point out your error. After all, you are the one suggesting I proofread? Are you not?

You are wrong about much in this thread, and it is my job to make sure your gross errors are not overlooked for they show that you really do not have a deep understanding of what you are saying. You can not admit you made a mistake. You simply fly off the handle like a lunatic. It is you that does not Common Core. You did not even realize there is a Common Core History standard!

There are common core text books that go along with the common core standards.

There is common core curriculums.

But as I just pointed out, you can see and acknowledge your glaring errors, hence you will never see your error in what you see common core is.

Find and cite ONE standard that you think should not be taught in schools. I've posed this question to many anti-common core folks on USMB and I've NEVER had ONE citation in response.

I'm not even pro-common core mind you, but ultimately it's much ado about nothing and an easy scapegoat to point to for the flaws in our educational system when other issues are he real culprit.

PS: Common Core is a set of standards NOT a curriculum in practice. Just because some text books use common core doesn't make a curriculum. Even a text book is NOT a complete curriculum as some activities might not be compulsory and there could be outside activities/assignments involved.

Even if a single textbook was a curriculum for Common Core-that doesn't mean all of Common Core is a curriculum.

Standards = finish line Curriculum = how you get there

Think of it as a race there's one set finishing line that everybody should reach by the end of the race. That's the standard. How you get there is the curriculum. You might swim, drive a car, fly a plane, run, walk, hop backwards on one leg, etc.
well, there aint much to discuss with you seeings how you dont understand what commom core is.

You have had to have this discussion over and over? Because everyone is wrong and you are right?

Everybody got angry over nothing?

I get the obfuscation you are putting forth. I know your stupid argument.Sadly I will have to repeat myself for you did not read all my posts.

I will now educate you.

That particular phrasing suggests your belief that it is an official, required text in all schools across the country. That is incorrect on both counts.
it is official, and many teachers and schools do require the use of these materials.

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
View attachment 367582
The Zinn Education Project is a collaboration between Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change. The goal is to introduce students to a more accurate, complex, and engaging understanding of United States history than is found in traditional textbooks and curricula.
Zinn Education Project - Teaching for Change : Teaching for ...
www.teachingforchange.org › teacher-resources › zinn-...

Feedback
About Featured Snippets
Web results
Free Teaching Materials from the Zinn Education Project ...
www.zinnedproject.org › whats-new › free-teaching-m...

Sep 4, 2013 - A People's History of the United States is frequently used by teachers of ... use in elementary school, middle school, and high school settings.
Zinn Education Project
www.zinnedproject.org

Free lessons and resources for teaching people's history in K-12 classrooms. For use with books by Howard Zinn and others on multicultural, women's, and labor ... in Howard Zinn's best-selling book A People's History of the United States, the ... Rethinking Schools logo | Zinn Education Project: Teaching People's History ...
About · ‎Workshops · ‎Explore by Theme · ‎Explore by Time Period

Zinn Education Project | HowardZinn.org
www.howardzinn.org › related-projects › zinn-educatio...

The Zinn Education Project promotes and supports the use of Howard Zinn's ... teaching a people's history in middle and high school classrooms across the country. ... of United States history than is found in traditional textbooks and curricula.

I teach English in a public school and don't use Common Core. I'm not required to teach to Common Core standards.
thank god for that

That particular phrasing suggests your belief that it is an official, required text in all schools across the country. That is incorrect on both counts.
it is official, and many teachers and schools do require the use of these materials.

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
View attachment 367582
The Zinn Education Project is a collaboration between Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change. The goal is to introduce students to a more accurate, complex, and engaging understanding of United States history than is found in traditional textbooks and curricula.
Zinn Education Project - Teaching for Change : Teaching for ...
www.teachingforchange.org › teacher-resources › zinn-...

Feedback
About Featured Snippets
Web results
Free Teaching Materials from the Zinn Education Project ...
www.zinnedproject.org › whats-new › free-teaching-m...

Sep 4, 2013 - A People's History of the United States is frequently used by teachers of ... use in elementary school, middle school, and high school settings.
Zinn Education Project
www.zinnedproject.org

Free lessons and resources for teaching people's history in K-12 classrooms. For use with books by Howard Zinn and others on multicultural, women's, and labor ... in Howard Zinn's best-selling book A People's History of the United States, the ... Rethinking Schools logo | Zinn Education Project: Teaching People's History ...
About · ‎Workshops · ‎Explore by Theme · ‎Explore by Time Period

Zinn Education Project | HowardZinn.org
www.howardzinn.org › related-projects › zinn-educatio...

The Zinn Education Project promotes and supports the use of Howard Zinn's ... teaching a people's history in middle and high school classrooms across the country. ... of United States history than is found in traditional textbooks and curricula.

I teach English in a public school and don't use Common Core. I'm not required to teach to Common Core standards.
thank god for that
Now you believe?

You stated that!!! You said it!!! I simply repeated what you said, to point out your error. After all, you are the one suggesting I proofread? Are you not?

You are wrong about much in this thread, and it is my job to make sure your gross errors are not overlooked for they show that you really do not have a deep understanding of what you are saying. You can not admit you made a mistake. You simply fly off the handle like a lunatic. It is you that does not Common Core. You did not even realize there is a Common Core History standard!

But as I just pointed out, you can see and acknowledge your glaring errors, hence you will never see your error in what you see common core is.

Find and cite ONE standard that you think should not be taught in schools. I've posed this question to many anti-common core folks on USMB and I've NEVER had ONE citation in response.

I'm not even pro-common core mind you, but ultimately it's much ado about nothing and an easy scapegoat to point to for the flaws in our educational system when other issues are he real culprit.

PS: Common Core is a set of standards NOT a curriculum in practice. Just because some text books use common core doesn't make a curriculum. Even a text book is NOT a complete curriculum as some activities might not be compulsory and there could be outside activities/assignments involved.

Even if a single textbook was a curriculum for Common Core-that doesn't mean all of Common Core is a curriculum.

Think of it as a race there's one set finishing line that everybody should reach by the end of the race. That's the standard. How you get there is the curriculum. You might swim, drive a car, fly a plane, run, walk, hop backwards on one leg, etc.
well, there aint much to discuss with you seeings how you dont understand what commom core is.

You have had to have this discussion over and over? Because everyone is wrong and you are right?

I get the obfuscation you are putting forth. I know your stupid argument.Sadly I will have to repeat myself for you did not read all my posts.

I will now educate you.

You are the one who does not know what Common Core is. I challenged you to post a history and you responded with a language arts standard. You want to win this argument? Post a Common Core history standard and the appropriate link. Should be a piece of cake, right?

You cannot because it does not exist. Prove me wrong, you incredible dumbass!. You are arguing with teachers! That is incredibly moronic in itself!

You are the one who does not know what Common Core is. I challenged you to post a history and you responded with a language arts standard. You want to win this argument? Post a Common Core history standard and the appropriate link. Should be a piece of cake, right?

You cannot because it does not exist. Prove me wrong, you incredible dumbass!. You are arguing with teachers! That is incredibly moronic in itself!
You challenged me to post a history? How about linking to that post. Never ever once, did you ever state, "post a history".
First and foremost, what does that even mean?

Post a Common Core history standard and the appropriate link. Should be a piece of cake, right?

You are not a teacher! Prove you are a teacher. Go ahead and prove it. Also prove how being a teacher makes you right? You can not do any of that.
English Language Arts Standards » History/Social Studies » Grade 9-10

Common Core is set of standards. You have no have no clue what you are yapping about. Show me a Common Core standard of revisionist history. Don't worry if you cannot find it. Common Core has no history standards, only math and language arts.
I see your problem and I will educate you. You can thank me after you read this.

Yes, I stated history. As common core does include history.

Here you go, this is the proper way to state it. Sorry I confused you.
Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects

And, I am not sure if you are ignorant or simply, dumb. But there is no, "math" standard. It is called, "Mathematic Srandards".

I see you simply cannot read. It teaches you how to READ those subjects, you fucking dumbass! I taught for 21 years, before and after Common Core. How long did you teach?

BTW, what are "Srandards"?

You are arguing with teachers! That is incredibly moronic in itself!
Oh, I am very sorry, Master Teacher. I bow to your incredible intellect and rightness as you dictate. Please forgive my transgressions against the all knowing, all mighty, teachers, who possess the wisdom and rightness of history eternity. Please correct me if I have gotten my acknowledgment of your superior brain, wrong.

I will now educate you.

Cite one specific Common Core Standard that isn't appropriate for a public school student.

Post a Common Core history standard and the appropriate link. Should be a piece of cake, right?

You are not a teacher! Prove you are a teacher. Go ahead and prove it. Also prove how being a teacher makes you right? You can not do any of that.

ELA= English Language Arts. That means that these standards are for ENGLISH classes NOT history or other social studies classes. English classes cover content from other domains-such as historical documents (for example in my English class we cover the Constitution Preamble and the Bill of Rights). That's what this standard is referring to. See my explanation below.

Here's the standard you cited:

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.1

Every letter and number represents something to cite the specific and exact standard being covered. Here's how we break down this specific standard that YOU cited as being a history standard:

CCSS: Common Core State Standard
ELA: English Language Arts
RH: Reading Historical
9-10: Grades 9-10
.1: first standard listed under the above specified strand

You clearly cited a 9-10th grade English standard...but didn't realize it. You then double down on your claim when somebody explains that there is no such things as a history standard. Not only are you objectively incorrect with your citation or analysis but it demonstrates that you don't know how to dissect a standard (which would be ok if you weren't pretending to be an expert on them).

Oof talk about embarrassing...I'm ALMOST embarrassed for you.

Last edited:
You clearly cited a 9-10th grade English standard...but didn't realize it. You then double down on your claim when somebody explains that there is no such things as a history standard.
Yet, there it is. A history standard. You had to ignore the word history to make your claim.

And why is it, that you seem more intent on pontificating and dictating? Either way, I linked and quoted from the links given to me. Argue with The Common Core. It is their history standard.

Here's the standard you cited:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.1:
CCSS: Common Core State Standard
ELA: English Language Arts
RH: Reading Historical
9-10: Grades 9-10
.1: first standard listed under the above specified strand

You clearly cited a 9-10th grade English standard...but didn't realize it.
You clearly agree with me, and broke down the standard so we can all see it is a history standard. Thank You.

ELA= English Language Arts. That means that these standards are for ENGLISH classes NOT history or other social studies classes. English classes cover content from other domains-such as historical documents
1st, I must thank you for giving me the designation of expert, of The Common Core. I am honored when one concedes others know much more.

You certainly must twist logic to come up with your convoluted response. You dont teach history but you do teach historical documents? It is no wonder our children know nothing after sitting through your class.

Yes, history does cover historical documents. And as you state the Reading/History standard dictates what you teach.

Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary describing political, social, or economic aspects of history

ELA= English Language Arts. That means that these standards are for ENGLISH classes NOT history or other social studies classes. English classes cover content from other domains-such as historical documents
1st, I must thank you for giving me the designation of expert, of The Common Core. I am honored when one concedes others know much more.

You certainly must twist logic to come up with your convoluted response. You dont teach history but you do teach historical documents? It is no wonder our children know nothing after sitting through your class.

Yes, history does cover historical documents. And as you state the Reading/History standard dictates what you teach.

Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary describing political, social, or economic aspects of history

I teach how to read and interpret different pieces of text. Historical documents happens to be one of those examples. This doesn't make my class a history class and it doesn't mean that history classes cover the same standards that I do. It's ok to be wrong.

For the record you're making assumptions about my students (and we both know what that makes you). I have no tenure-and I don't mind that-my students always run laps around the district average, and excel in terms of raw numbers and gains in my class. I don't take somebody seriously whom doesn't know how to read a standard, let alone what a standard is in terms of my student performance. Your response is nothing short of an attempt to save whatever face you think you might have on the subject after being shot down time and time.

Oh and don't think I forgot:

Cite ONE specific Common Core Standard that should not be taught in schools.

Still waiting on the challenge above...we all know why you wont do so...because you can't.

I teach how to read and interpret different pieces of text. Historical documents happens to be one of those examples. This doesn't make my class a history class and it doesn't mean that history classes cover the same standards that I do. It's ok to be wrong.

For the record you're making assumptions about my students (and we both know what that makes you). I have no tenure-and I don't mind that-my students always run laps around the district average, and excel in terms of raw numbers and gains in my class. I don't take somebody seriously whom doesn't know how to read a standard, let alone what a standard is in terms of my student performance. Your response is nothing short of an attempt to save whatever face you think you might have on the subject after being shot down time and time.

Oh and don't think I forgot:

Cite ONE specific Common Core Standard that should not be taught in schools.

Still waiting on the challenge above...we all know why you wont do so...because you can't.
common core should not be taught at all, I dint accept your challenge because the entire premise of common core must be rejected.

And again, thank god. Seeings how you dont teach common core it is obvious you know less about common core than let's say, a, PARENT who has a child in school.Thank you for making it clear. You have google knowledge, if that.

And again, thank god. Seeings how you dont teach common core it is obvious you know less about common core than let's say, a, PARENT who has a child in school.Thank you for making it clear. You have google knowledge, if that.

You continue to demonstrate zero knowledge of Common Core or any other standards. We all know you are a moron. Why don't yo accept that?

Forum List

Back