Reality Shows - What's the Fascination?

What reality shows have you watched? Check as many as apply.

• American Idol

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • America's Got Talent

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Apprentice

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Bachelor/Bachelorette

• Biggest Loser

• Dancing with the Stars

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Hell's Kitchen

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • So You Think You Can Dance

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Survivor

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other - You left out my favorite

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
You sound like Mr. Foxfyre. Friday night is his night with the TV because boxing is on. And he does like to watch girls college softball and college baseball as well as a bit of golf and occasionally Nascar all of which I get tired of really quick.

Anyone who watches Friday Night Fights is a friend of mine.

Yeah, you two would probably be great buds.

But I have to wonder about somebody who has "still against violence" under his member name but who likes the Friday Night Fights??? :)

Oh, and one of my favorite pastimes is to drink beer and watch Intervention.

Am I wrong for doing that?

Dunno. What's Intervention? That's a new one on me. Does it harm fish or wildlife?

Dammit. That means you didn't get the joke. But I really do like to do that.

Here:

Intervention - A&E TV - Episodes, Videos & Schedule

I honestly didn't know there was such a program, but bravo for A&E for airing it.

Dunno. What's Intervention? That's a new one on me. Does it harm fish or wildlife?

Dammit. That means you didn't get the joke. But I really do like to do that.

Here:

Intervention - A&E TV - Episodes, Videos & Schedule

I honestly didn't know there was such a program, but bravo for A&E for airing it.

It's been on for years now. We watch it after the kids go to bed.

My wife laughs at me, as I take (another) sip of beer and say "Man, this guy is fucked UP".

But I have to wonder about somebody who has "still against violence" under his member name but who likes the Friday Night Fights??? :)

It's competition. It's mutual, there are doctors there, and the referees are supposed to stop it to prevent any serious injuries. And what else can I say? Boxing is a guilty pleasure...

If you ever watch it you have to love Teddy's Fight Plan. Pure comedy.

Reality shows cater to the lowest common denominator. People thrive on watching others raise 8 kids, give faded out rock stars BJ's on a tour bus, folks fighting over 'tribal sticks', D list 'stars' dancing, doing rehab or just letting the camera's follow them around, married housewives of some city, greasy New Jersey bohunks and big haired bimbos, people who cook, fish, make clothes or cakes, et al.................

Now if you sleep with a married celebrity you'll also get a reality show, because people will watch it.

If there was no market, these shows would stop!

1. Project Runway

Why? Because I love watching the work of extremely talented and inspiring people.

2. Biggest Loser

That show very often brings tears to my eyes. To see somebody so committed to something and working so damn hard at reaching that goal over many and extremely hard hurdles is very inspiring. I have the utmost respect and regard for some of those people.

3. So you think you can dance

The reason is the same as why I love Project Runway. I just love seeing a bunch of extremely talented and brilliant people doing what they're best at. Plus the performances and the music are very inspiring and extremely enjoyable. Some of those have brought chills down my spine and even made me tear up a bit. It can really be an experience watching someone dance amazingly well.

I've never watched "Project Runway" but now I'll probably have to check it out. :)

I agree on Biggest Loser EXCEPT that AOL recently did a kind of hatchet job on them and just reinforced what we all know that some things are just staged or fudged or edited to make the program suitable for TV. So some of it doesn't go down exactly the way they make it look - BUT - the people are real and the weight loss is real and the transformations are real, And that makes it worthwhile for me. This past year was the first time I had ever watched. And I too often had tears in my eyes.

And even my super macho hubby who won't wear a pink shirt and teases anybody who tears up at a television show or movie watches So You Think You Can Dance. He doesn't know squat about dancing, but even he can appreciate how gifted the dancers are and enjoy the artistry and presentation.

Reality shows cater to the lowest common denominator. People thrive on watching others raise 8 kids, give faded out rock stars BJ's on a tour bus, folks fighting over 'tribal sticks', D list 'stars' dancing, doing rehab or just letting the camera's follow them around, married housewives of some city, greasy New Jersey bohunks and big haired bimbos, people who cook, fish, make clothes or cakes, et al.................

Now if you sleep with a married celebrity you'll also get a reality show, because people will watch it.

Well that's true. If there was no market, anything shown on television would stop.

But don't sugar coat it. Tell us what you really think EZ. :)

And which ones do you watch?

Hey, I like Intervention.

My favortie reality show is called Echo Zulu and Mini Echo's real life adventures.

It's always on 24/7, and there are never any repeats!

This. :clap2:

I don't watch much tv at all anymore, let alone reality shows. Until football season, anyway!

My TV fried before Survivor came out. And I am glad to say I missed it.

For me, the best TV ever was Mythbusters. I was delighted to find out I can still get it online on Itunes.

Second best was Mail Call.

And I will never forget the best game show ever..... Win Ben Stein's money.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aw1M_3euzI&NR=1"]Outsmart Ben Stein[/ame]

Do you watch Reality Shows like American Idol or Survivor? I don't seek them out, but once I start watching, I can't resist at least checking back to see what happened.

I'm a grown woman. I think I'm probably on average reasonably well educated. I have lots of different interests and plenty to do to occupy my time. I know one or two important people. I can speak in whole sentences if I focus. I like to think I'm a pretty normal American.

And I know that these shows are often not all they are cracked up to be. Probably some are even rigged.

But heaven help me, I love reality shows.

Why is that?

And are you hooked too? Why?

In the past few years I have watched 3 of them several times, but don't watch them any more. I actually don't watch much TV at all, with the exception of FNC, CSI Miami and information programs. History, etc. Some DVDs.

1. Project Runway

Why? Because I love watching the work of extremely talented and inspiring people.

2. Biggest Loser

That show very often brings tears to my eyes. To see somebody so committed to something and working so damn hard at reaching that goal over many and extremely hard hurdles is very inspiring. I have the utmost respect and regard for some of those people.

3. So you think you can dance

The reason is the same as why I love Project Runway. I just love seeing a bunch of extremely talented and brilliant people doing what they're best at. Plus the performances and the music are very inspiring and extremely enjoyable. Some of those have brought chills down my spine and even made me tear up a bit. It can really be an experience watching someone dance amazingly well.

I've never watched "Project Runway" but now I'll probably have to check it out. :)

I agree on Biggest Loser EXCEPT that AOL recently did a kind of hatchet job on them and just reinforced what we all know that some things are just staged or fudged or edited to make the program suitable for TV. So some of it doesn't go down exactly the way they make it look - BUT - the people are real and the weight loss is real and the transformations are real, And that makes it worthwhile for me. This past year was the first time I had ever watched. And I too often had tears in my eyes.

And even my super macho hubby who won't wear a pink shirt and teases anybody who tears up at a television show or movie watches So You Think You Can Dance. He doesn't know squat about dancing, but even he can appreciate how gifted the dancers are and enjoy the artistry and presentation.

If you love clothes and fashion, you will love Project Runway.

I always watch the American Idol auditions because they are hilarious. Usually I see at least one contestant that I enjoy following through the contest, so I'll record the show and skip to their performances. They've had some pretty good musicians pass through that show over the years. This year, Crystal Bowersox was just absolutely amazing. Shame she didn't win.

I've watched Survivor since its first season. I don't see it as a reality show. When I think of reality shows, I think of all those housewife shows or those stupid day-in-the-life of a celebrity shows. Survivor is reality competition, which I enjoy immensely. Plus, my favorite Survivor of all-time is the first person to win the game twice.

I always watch the American Idol auditions because they are hilarious. Usually I see at least one contestant that I enjoy following through the contest, so I'll record the show and skip to their performances. They've had some pretty good musicians pass through that show over the years. This year, Crystal Bowersox was just absolutely amazing. Shame she didn't win.

I've watched Survivor since its first season. I don't see it as a reality show. When I think of reality shows, I think of all those housewife shows or those stupid day-in-the-life of a celebrity shows. Survivor is reality competition, which I enjoy immensely. Plus, my favorite Survivor of all-time is the first person to win the game twice.

Yeah, the shows I listed - Project Runway, Biggest Loser and So You Think You Can Dance are actually competitions ... they might have a little aspect or two of reality shows, but they have nothing in common with the likes of Double shot at Love or some other crap like that that I literally despise.

I liked Dirty Jobs when I had cable.

That's my idea of a reality show.

Setting people up in completely UNREAL competitions isn't reality.

Forum List

Back