Real Tree Or Fake.....I Prefer Fake For Obvious Reasons

Do you prefer a real tree or a fake tree?

• I hate Christmas so I don't like either

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't understand the question

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like a real tree because they are prettier and because of the smell, but I do have my fake tree that I normally use because it is such a PITA to have a real tree. You have to water it and constantly clean up pine needles.

Usually getting a real tree isn't going to affect anything because they have farms for these types of trees. You aren't just supposed to go cut down a tree out in the woods. :D There could be animals living in there.
The fake ones are usually made in China.
The real ones are still grown in the U.S.

I'd rather get a fake one and keep it for 20 years than kill 20 trees.

I like a real tree because they are prettier and because of the smell, but I do have my fake tree that I normally use because it is such a PITA to have a real tree. You have to water it and constantly clean up pine needles.

Usually getting a real tree isn't going to affect anything because they have farms for these types of trees. You aren't just supposed to go cut down a tree out in the woods. :D There could be animals living in there.
The fake ones are usually made in China.
The real ones are still grown in the U.S.

I'd rather get a fake one and keep it for 20 years than kill 20 trees.

I get that, but Christmas trees are a renewable crop just like paper industry. It is faaaar better for the environment to use virgin paper than recycled. Recycled paper uses a TON of chemicals and energy to produce the paper. Whereas virgin pulp is made from trees that are renewable crops grown on massive tree farms
Just sayin

I've known people who buy trees that still have their root ball and then they plant them after Christmas. Don't ask me what they do with the big root ball. I'm not sure how you would care for that because I've never had one of those. I've seen them before though. The root ball is wrapped in some kind of canvas and tied.
My neighbor used to buy one of those every year and then plant himself a treeline between our yards.
He made the mistake of planting one of them beneath some power-lines and it had to be cut down. All of his trees are over 25 ft tall now.
I think this is a viable option, but you risk killing the tree if you put it out in the extreme cold of winter.

I always go with a real tree...Two actually, one in each house
The reason is simple......Fake tree look....Fake

My house in MD has a 16 foot ceiling in the great room so I buy a 12 foot natural tree....Looks spectacular

96502307-56a2acf25f9b58b7d0cd4cbd.jpg

I love real trees, but there are too many reasons why I refuse to get another dead tree and put it up in my house.

• That pine smell is the only thing that real trees give us and that soon fades after a few days
  • You can't put up a real tree on Thanksgiving because in a week or two they become a fire hazard
  • Fake trees don't leave needles all over the carpet
  • Cutting down a tree without planting another one could kill us, just ask Al Gore
  • I put my tree in a box or cover it with a sheet
  • A real tree ends up next to the garbage can

How to Choose an Eco-Friendly Christmas Tree
If you put a pine scented air freshener plugged in behind it, your tree would look and smell like the real deal. Also you wouldn't have to sweep up dead pine needles 30 days later...

af-tcell.png

ChrisL burlap is the wrapping for the root ball and twine....you water then just like a cut tree then move them outside..the larger the root ball the larger the chance of the tree living when you plant it outside...

Which leads me to another thought, people who leave their Christmas decorations up until summer!
Yes...I have a neighbor who does that.
ChrisL burlap is the wrapping for the root ball and twine....you water then just like a cut tree then move them outside..the larger the root ball the larger the chance of the tree living when you plant it outside...

What do you put it in when it's inside your house is what I am wondering. You must need a giant pot or something.

Fake....like our big media.
A republican should not care about all the negatives. It’s an industry and should never be hurt even if that industry is harmful to the environment. Think of all the jobs lost!

An interesting note here, you probably don't know.

Real trees are better for the environment.

How Green Is Your Real (or Fake) Christmas Tree?

They recycle CO2, and they don't need any toxic chemicals to make. Recycling real is easier and better than fake as well. Folks just don't know the story and only think in terms of their life cycle.

Also, little known fact, real trees are Michigan's number one agricultural product. No other state in the nation produces more Christmas trees than Michigan.

no no no on michigan

While Christmas trees are grown for sale in 45 U.S states, the top five tree-producing states in 2009 were as follows: Oregon (more than 4.9 million), North Carolina (2.8 million), Michigan (1.2 million), Pennsylvania (812,000) and Wisconsin (619,000). 174,000 acres of land in the United States were in Christmas tree production that year, down from 446,996 acres of land in 2002 (NASS 2010).

Christmas Tree Profile | Agricultural Marketing Resource Center

nc kicks michigans ass......and oregon wins big

A republican should not care about all the negatives. It’s an industry and should never be hurt even if that industry is harmful to the environment. Think of all the jobs lost!

They recycle CO2, and they don't need any toxic chemicals to make. Recycling real is easier and better than fake as well. Folks just don't know the story and only think in terms of their life cycle.

Also, little known fact, real trees are Michigan's number one agricultural product. No other state in the nation produces more Christmas trees than Michigan.
Excellent point.

I live in Michigan and we have Xmas tree farms all over the place.

I just got tired of picking up needles with my feet, so we go fake now.

Most Christmas trees are replanted as soon as they are cut

Environmentally conscious

96502307-56a2acf25f9b58b7d0cd4cbd.jpg

I love real trees, but there are too many reasons why I refuse to get another dead tree and put it up in my house.

• That pine smell is the only thing that real trees give us and that soon fades after a few days
  • You can't put up a real tree on Thanksgiving because in a week or two they become a fire hazard
  • Fake trees don't leave needles all over the carpet
  • Cutting down a tree without planting another one could kill us, just ask Al Gore
  • I put my tree in a box or cover it with a sheet
  • A real tree ends up next to the garbage can

How to Choose an Eco-Friendly Christmas Tree
Why would anyone put up a tree at Thanksgiving?
  • Real trees are a renewable resource. In the Pacific Northwest, there are Christmas tree farms. Buying a Christmas tree helps a small business survive and the trees are replanted as fast as they are harvested.
  • After Xmas, you can plant a live tree in your yard instead of buying a chopped one and throwing it away.
  • In the Pacific NW we recycle old Xmas trees. You put them out with the recyling and they are picked up and turned into mulch or compost.

Forum List

Back