Rapper reacts to Eric Clapton

My daughter, who's 35, was raised listening to the music of her day; Hanson, Backstreet Boys, 'n Sync, Britney Spears and the like.

But she was also raised listening to the music of people like Clapton, Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, Jeff Beck and Eric Johnson. She gained an appreciation for acts like Crosby, Stills & Nash, James Taylor, The Band, Doyle Dykes and Little Feat.

I knew I couldn't keep her from listening to the stuff I thought was crap, but I made sure she always had access to my music collection, as well...

Well, for the past hour, I have been on youtube just typing in FIRST TIME HEARING ____________________________ insert song there. Bohemian Rhapsody got the most :omg:

I've been seeing a lot of this lately - Today's young rapper / hip hop crowd's growing appreciation and respect for music artists from the 60's and 70's. (There might be hope for these kids yet!) :)

My favorite ever was a reaction to Pavarotti singing "Nessum Dorma" the guy was practically in tears saying he never heard anything so beautiful, sounded like an angel singing to him

I've been seeing a lot of this lately - Today's young rapper / hip hop crowd's growing appreciation and respect for music artists from the 60's and 70's. (There might be hope for these kids yet!) :)

Very few people know about the origins of the name and lyrics of the song "Layla" by Eric Clapton.
It's a very famous love story in the Middle East, and the name Layla is a popular girls name.
A tragic love story much like Romeo and Juliet in western literature.
Layla, a young girl, wanted to marry a young local boy who was in love with her, and she with him.
But her father said No, and forced her to marry another boy he had picked out for her.
The boy who lost Layla also lost his mind, and is referred to in the story as the Majnun (crazy man) in Arabic.
Because for the rest of his life he lived in the forrest and lived like a hermit while lamenting his love for Layla.
Eric Clapton happened to read the story of "Layla and the Majnun".
It moved him so much, that he wrote the song "Layla" and put it to music.
So now you know. ... :cool:

Last edited:

My favorite ever was a reaction to Pavarotti singing "Nessum Dorma" the guy was practically in tears saying he never heard anything so beautiful, sounded like an angel singing to him

No one has ever done it better:

Very few people know about the origins of the name and lyrics of the song "Layla" by Eric Clapton.
It's a very famous love story in the Middle East, and the name Layla is a popular girls name.
A tragic love story much like Romeo and Juliet in western literature.
Layla, a young girl, wanted to marry a young local boy who was in love with her, and she with him.
But her father said No, and forced her to marry another boy he had picked out for her.
The boy who lost Layla also lost his mind, and is referred to in the story as the Majnun (crazy man) in Arabic.
Because for the rest of his life he lived in the forrest and lived like a hermit while lamenting his love for Layla.
Eric Clapton happened to read the story of "Layla and the Majnun".
It moved him so much, that he wrote the song "Layla" and put it to music.
So now you know. ... :cool:

This was also when Clapton first worked with Duane "Sky Dog" Allman. Clapton worked out the body of the song and said he needed an introduction so Duane immediately crafted that iconic opening lick

Last edited:
I like that the young people are seeking out these classics.

I would love it if they took it one step further and find and listen to the people that inspired Clapton, Hendrix etc

I like that the young people are seeking out these classics.

I would love it if they took it one step further and find and listen to the people that inspired Clapton, Hendrix etc

They do.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back