Rape Colored Skin

This is a very powerful essay, and by a direct descendant of Edmond Pettis. Her story adds to history rather than erasing it.
Help me understand how removing a monument adds to history. Her perspective surely does and it should be included when history is taught. But I am not understanding how making a confederate general a non entity adds to history.
Again, the monuments are lies – symbols of racism, fear, and hate.

The monuments’ historical significance is that of relics of a hateful, brutal past – their appropriate place is in museums and other private venues that display such manifestations of evil, not public lands.

Monuments or Statues to civil war southern dead are inherently evil?

I question why these monuments and statues were erected in the first place. Who put them there and what were they trying to prove? I can drive to Robert E. Lee's home in 15 minutes, but why would I honor him? I'm of European descent, and I have no reason to honor these folks. I can only imagine how people of African descent feel. I want a clean downtown where we can all meet and do whatever business we are there to do and meet, dine, and drink as we choose to.

Some were erected to honor the war dead. Some as monuments to their failed generals and leaders. Most of them went up when these guys started dying off. Again, part of the healing process between the two halves of the country was allowing each side to remember their cause as they saw fit. So you got somber memorials of war dead and defeated generals in the South, and triumphal memorials of war dead and victorious generals in the North. If you want an example check out Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn. put there the the Grand Army of the Republic, the largest Union Veteran organization there was.

Sorry, but if we let the most sensitive people define what we memorialize, then we might as well tear them all down.

The only monument I agreed that should have been removed was the one in New Orleans that memorialized basically an uprising that established a segregationist government. That's too far.

But that's where I draw the line. Adding into the fact that hard lefties can't even wait for a legal process to go through and are tearing these (and other) statues down puts me firmly into the "leave them be" camp. Taking any of them down now just justifies the SJW anarchy and the backboneless kowtowing progressive local politicians are doing, both destroying the statues, and "removing them in the interest of safety"
I do not find traitors worthy of honor. there were statues in their honor IN MY TOWN! The town where we all go to socialize and attend to official business; pay our parking tickets. Why have a statue in the middle of town of someone whose face I would spit in if he was standing in front of me?

They are not traitors, they may have been rebels during the fight, but they were rehabilitated by the very people that defeated them. You have no standing or place to change that.

How about buckle up, buttercup?. If you get the vapors over a statue I suggest counseling if you already aren't getting it.

They chose to be traitors. You are suggesting that I honor them. What is this about? Memorials to them have no place in the center of town. Museums., yes.

They chose to rebel, they were then defeated and allowed to re-integrate into the country, for most of them, no harm no foul. That was decided on to allow for the country to heal and to prevent an underground resistance campaign to extend the war out for decades. It was what the Union side fought for, not conquest, but reconciliation.

I suggest you let the people who want to remember and honor the war dead and the failed leaders do so, and you just suck it up and ignore the statues and the people as you see fit. It's not all about you, snowflake.

And the museum copout is bullshit, because it won't end at the center of town, they removed a statue of Teddy Roosevelt in FRONT OF A MUSEUM because it had an Native American and African standing beside him (both of them proudly I might add) because people like you can't contain your butthurt.

It's not all about them and the people who wish to honor them, either. Let the town square be neutral and only have memorials to those whom all Americans think should be honored. Erect the Statue of Liberty or a memorial to those whose fought in WWII and faced the guns of D-Day, faced the Nazi bullets from high above the cliffs. Only those who have fought as Americans should be honored in our town squares.

Black military men faced racism to fight in WWII. Where are the statues to salute them?

A neutral town square is an empty town square. There will always be someone butt hurt like you over it.

The guy is too white, it's a guy, it's a straight guy, he has a gun, he's not in a wheelchair, he has both eyes, it's a definitive he/she so it insults transgenders, the statue is made of a marble the Nazis used to use, the artist was race X making a statue of race Y, the race represented is to "of that race", so it's offensive, the lettering on the statue is in Times New Roman, which is oppressive, it's only in English, which insults people who can't speak it. I can go on.

There is often plenty of room in town squares, or multiple squares, courthouse squares, outside of town hall, outside the DMV, outside the government offices. No one is stopping people from raising money and putting up Statues, or busts, or plaques, or carvings for those causes.

That's how most of these got put up, Veteran's groups, or the subsequent groups for descendants of Veterans raising money, petitioning local governments, and having the art commissioned and placed.

Read this and understand why monuments to confederate generals ought to be removed from public/government property. Museums...fine. But let’s stop this nonsense.

Thanks but I can form my own opinions. Does it hurt much? Falling on your martyr's sword of white guilt? Oh the passion and the glory of your fervent zealotry. Tell me, is it rapturous? The fake pain of your self-flagellation?
White guilt is some fake shit made up by racists too weak to face historical fact. The OP is accurate. The confederate symbols need to come down based on the fact that the confederacy was a nation that waged war against America. The confederates were not American once they decided to secede and form their own nation. We do not honor japanese soldiers from WW2, we have not built statues to honor the british who fought in the revolutionary war. The symbols need to be taken from public places.

They were forgiven by the people they fought, that was part of the peace process.

The Japanese Cherry Trees are still up in Washington.

Even Benedict Arnold has an un-named monument to him for his service before his treason.
Let me know when they put up a statue of Hirohito and Yamamoto.

They not Americans, but neither was Obama

Forum List

Back