Rape Colored Skin

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
Read this and understand why monuments to confederate generals ought to be removed from public/government property. Museums...fine. But let’s stop this nonsense.

Thanks but I can form my own opinions. Does it hurt much? Falling on your martyr's sword of white guilt? Oh the passion and the glory of your fervent zealotry. Tell me, is it rapturous? The fake pain of your self-flagellation?

“Among the apologists for the Southern cause and for its monuments, there are those who dismiss the hardships of the past. They imagine a world of benevolent masters, and speak with misty eyes of gentility and honor and the land. They deny plantation rape, or explain it away, or question the degree of frequency with which it occurred.” ibid

Many of those apologists are here among USMB’s reprehensible right.

Cause and effect: Every human on the face of the earth most probably has an ancestor that was conceived through a rape.

Hopefully Ms. Williams will someday resolve her conflict over her own existence.

“Among the apologists for the Southern cause and for its monuments, there are those who dismiss the hardships of the past. They imagine a world of benevolent masters, and speak with misty eyes of gentility and honor and the land. They deny plantation rape, or explain it away, or question the degree of frequency with which it occurred.” ibid

Apologists? You idiots are the ones bending over and apologizing for something you didn't do!

It's a good op ed. I like other perspectives.

I'm not sure her feelings warrant pulling down statues; she is not alone living in the South. It is also inhabited by a lot of people who have an entirely different perspective on those monuments, those men. I can understand why she despises those statues and I am sure no one is insisting she honor them in any way. I'm sorry she hates her own blood; I'm sorry she has to.

If the community where she lives agrees with her, fine, vote to remove the statue. Most of the folks pulling down these statues and calling for the renaming and all this other business are in no way intimately connected with the South. It's a political judgment fest and yeah, a move to "airbrush history," as much as she says it's not.

I'm more or less on the movement's side, but I'm not at all convinced on this piece.

Read this and understand why monuments to confederate generals ought to be removed from public/government property. Museums...fine. But let’s stop this nonsense.

Big deal, owning a darkie was the technology of the day....taking history out of context is ignorant.

This is a very powerful essay, and by a direct descendant of Edmond Pettis. Her story adds to history rather than erasing it.
Help me understand how removing a monument adds to history. Her perspective surely does and it should be included when history is taught. But I am not understanding how making a confederate general a non entity adds to history.

The south is part of America, they didn’t want slaves, only some power people in the party wanted slaves, they didn’t want to pay the taxes the north wanted them to pay.. that’s worthy of statues.

This is a very powerful essay, and by a direct descendant of Edmond Pettis. Her story adds to history rather than erasing it.
Help me understand how removing a monument adds to history. Her perspective surely does and it should be included when history is taught. But I am not understanding how making a confederate general a non entity adds to history.
I can sort of understand Ms. William's anger in having to see a statue/monument to the man the raped her great-great grandmother.

Last edited:
It's a good op ed. I like other perspectives.

I'm not sure her feelings warrant pulling down statues; she is not alone living in the South. It is also inhabited by a lot of people who have an entirely different perspective on those monuments, those men. I can understand why she despises those statues and I am sure no one is insisting she honor them in any way. I'm sorry she hates her own blood; I'm sorry she has to.

If the community where she lives agrees with her, fine, vote to remove the statue. Most of the folks pulling down these statues and calling for the renaming and all this other business are in no way intimately connected with the South. It's a political judgment fest and yeah, a move to "airbrush history," as much as she says it's not.

I'm more or less on the movement's side, but I'm not at all convinced on this piece.
The problem is that those perspectives are predicated on lies, ignorance, and myths.

For example, such monuments were created during the 1890s and early 20th Century not to ‘honor’ those who fought in the Civil War, but to intimidate blacks, justify Jim Crow, black codes, and segregation.

Indeed, the monuments commemorate those who engaged in treason, fought to preserve slavery, and committed the most heinous of war crimes.

Consequently, as a matter of sound, responsible governance, ‘confederate’ statues on public land should be removed.

In the end, they were all better people than those living today

I can sort of understand Ms. William's anger in having to see a statue.monument to the man the raped her great-great grandmother.

they could have added the fact the was a rapist to the
bronze plaque. People do not WORSHIP those statues

Again, the monuments are lies – symbols of racism, fear, and hate.

The monuments’ historical significance is that of relics of a hateful, brutal past – their appropriate place is in museums and other private venues that display such manifestations of evil, not public lands.

Forum List

Back