Randite producers mischaracterize Atlas Shrugged DVD

‘Atlas Shrugged’ film producers replacing 100,000 DVD’s after mischaracterizing Ayn Rand’s novel | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
The company behind the film Atlas Shrugged Part 1 is replacing 100,000 title sheets from the film's newly released DVD and Blue Ray versions because the copy writer incorrectly described the late Ayn Rand's 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, as a story of "self-sacrifice."

Put simply, that's like calling Michael Moore a tea partier.

In the words of Texas Gov. Rick Perry: Oops.

that movie wasn't budget-neutral either LOL (it didn't pay for itself ;) )

Why start a Thread on something you have no interest in, something you even refuse to read, or see the Movie?

What is your Premise, other than being false, counterfeit?
Is it that you have zero tolerance for opposing views?
Are you just trying to impress with your Witt?

Why pick something you have no interest in or understanding of?
Why ridicule? Is there something here that threatens you or challenges you to use your brain?

Maybe you should stick to something you know like the indoctrination of the Masses.

‘Atlas Shrugged’ film producers replacing 100,000 DVD’s after mischaracterizing Ayn Rand’s novel | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
The company behind the film Atlas Shrugged Part 1 is replacing 100,000 title sheets from the film's newly released DVD and Blue Ray versions because the copy writer incorrectly described the late Ayn Rand's 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, as a story of "self-sacrifice."

Why start a Thread on something you have no interest in, something you even refuse to read, or see the Movie?

Why ridicule? Is there something here that threatens you or challenges you to use your brain?

Maybe you should stick to something you know like the indoctrination of the Masses.

because "the banks will regulate themselves" Greenspan was a CLOSE follower of hers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a7is5F_Do6N0
The admission that free markets have their faults was a shift for the former Fed chairman who declared in a May 2005 speech that ``private regulation generally has proved far better at constraining excessive risk-taking than has government regulation.''

Last edited:
I have to agree with others' take on the book: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! One of the most boring books I've ever had to force myself to read.

It's your loss, friend.

Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand, first published in 1957 in the United States. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of mystery and science fiction,[2] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.

The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and disappear. They are led by John Galt. Galt describes the strike as "stopping the motor of the world" by withdrawing the minds that drive society's growth and productivity. In their efforts, these people "of the mind" hope to demonstrate that a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed, that civilization cannot exist where every person is a slave to society and government, and that the destruction of the profit motive leads to the collapse of society. The protagonist, Dagny Taggart, sees society collapse around her as the government increasingly asserts control over all industry.

The novel's title is a reference to Atlas, a Titan of Greek mythology, who in the novel is described as "the giant who holds the world on his shoulders".[3] The significance of this reference is seen in a conversation between the characters Francisco d'Anconia and Hank Rearden, in which d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give to Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, Francisco gives his own response: "To shrug".

The theme of Atlas Shrugged, as Rand described it, is "the role of man's mind in existence". The book explores a number of philosophical themes that Rand would subsequently develop into the philosophy of Objectivism.[4][5] It advocates the core tenets of Rand's philosophy of Objectivism and expresses her concept of human achievement. In doing so, it expresses many facets of Rand's philosophy, such as the advocacy of reason, individualism, capitalism, and the failures of government coercion.

Atlas Shrugged received largely negative reviews after its 1957 publication, but achieved enduring popularity and consistent sales in the following decades.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/i...r=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

I know what it is. It's on my bookshelf.

I get that. I also get that there are not enough pictures in it for you, and too many big words. :lol: So why are you here bitching about something you have no interest in? :lol:

You have issues, just be honest. :)

WWRD? I don't think she'd want people spending good money after bad or else Randism is a fraud ;)

To the contrary, the individual as a free agent is free to do as he wishes. If the need to continue the story is great enough, then the cost is not consequential.

because "the banks will regulate themselves" Greenspan was a CLOSE follower of hers.
Greenspan Concedes to `Flaw' in His Market Ideology (Update4) - Bloomberg
The admission that free markets have their faults was a shift for the former Fed chairman who declared in a May 2005 speech that ``private regulation generally has proved far better at constraining excessive risk-taking than has government regulation.''

We are not even close to being a Free Market. Who are you trying to kid? You think it is Free, Audit the Federal Reserve, move every rock. Government is as much a part of this abomination as the Private Sector. Progressive Statism was a part of the development of the big Conglomerates as any Predator on Wall Street.

You are afraid of the effects of Rand's message. That is the bottom line. You fear Her, even Dead. That is sad for you. That is sad for all you infect with your miss characterization.

I recently read something that summed her up well. She escaped Communist totalitarianism, but then advocated for oppression by an oligarchy.

Can you produce the quote that shows that this is what she advocates?

In her two great novels, there is nothing advocating this.

It's your loss, friend.

Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand, first published in 1957 in the United States. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of mystery and science fiction,[2] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.

The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and disappear. They are led by John Galt. Galt describes the strike as "stopping the motor of the world" by withdrawing the minds that drive society's growth and productivity. In their efforts, these people "of the mind" hope to demonstrate that a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed, that civilization cannot exist where every person is a slave to society and government, and that the destruction of the profit motive leads to the collapse of society. The protagonist, Dagny Taggart, sees society collapse around her as the government increasingly asserts control over all industry.

The novel's title is a reference to Atlas, a Titan of Greek mythology, who in the novel is described as "the giant who holds the world on his shoulders".[3] The significance of this reference is seen in a conversation between the characters Francisco d'Anconia and Hank Rearden, in which d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give to Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, Francisco gives his own response: "To shrug".

The theme of Atlas Shrugged, as Rand described it, is "the role of man's mind in existence". The book explores a number of philosophical themes that Rand would subsequently develop into the philosophy of Objectivism.[4][5] It advocates the core tenets of Rand's philosophy of Objectivism and expresses her concept of human achievement. In doing so, it expresses many facets of Rand's philosophy, such as the advocacy of reason, individualism, capitalism, and the failures of government coercion.

Atlas Shrugged received largely negative reviews after its 1957 publication, but achieved enduring popularity and consistent sales in the following decades.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/i...r=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

I know what it is. It's on my bookshelf.

I get that. I also get that there are not enough pictures in it for you, and too many big words. :lol: So why are you here bitching about something you have no interest in? :lol:

You have issues, just be honest. :)

Yup. I have issues. :razz: It's a boring book. That's my issue.
Glenn Beck's-"Arguing With Idiots" had a lot of cute little pictures/drawings in it. It was boring, also.
Wasn't fond of 'Poky Little Puppy', either. :eusa_angel:

…there isn't a single fully formed character in the book.
As is the case with Rand’s disciples.

It's a Cop Out Dot Com. Is that how you got through school? Cliff Notes? Bad Reviews? You think that course is Intellectually Honest? It's not. The loss is yours, man. Fitting in has always been your priority I bet. Rand teaches Conscience is the Priority. I see why you all have trouble there.

I’ve had the misfortune of reading it, it’s dreadful and inane.

It caught my attn because I heard it is req'd reading for college repubs AND the guy who claimed that markets/banks would regulate themselves :eusa_eh: was a disciple of hers:
Ayn Rand’s Literature of Capitalism - New York Times
Mr. Greenspan met Rand when he was 25 and working as an economic forecaster. She was already renowned as the author of “The Fountainhead,” a novel about an architect true to his principles. Mr. Greenspan had married a member of Rand’s inner circle, known as the Collective, that met every Saturday night in her New York apartment. Rand did not pay much attention to Mr. Greenspan until he began praising drafts of “Atlas,” which she read aloud to her disciples, according to Jeff Britting, the archivist of Ayn Rand’s papers. He was attracted, Mr. Britting said, to “her moral defense of capitalism.”

It caught my attn because I heard it is req'd reading for college repubs AND the guy who claimed that markets/banks would regulate themselves :eusa_eh: was a disciple of hers:
Ayn Rand’s Literature of Capitalism - New York Times
Mr. Greenspan met Rand when he was 25 and working as an economic forecaster. She was already renowned as the author of “The Fountainhead,” a novel about an architect true to his principles. Mr. Greenspan had married a member of Rand’s inner circle, known as the Collective, that met every Saturday night in her New York apartment. Rand did not pay much attention to Mr. Greenspan until he began praising drafts of “Atlas,” which she read aloud to her disciples, according to Jeff Britting, the archivist of Ayn Rand’s papers. He was attracted, Mr. Britting said, to “her moral defense of capitalism.”

Very interesting. And it explains a lot.

I would think the premise is: it was a lousy book, so that doesn't hold up much hope for the movie. Just because you can't handle the truth, don't go whining that we're being unfair. The whole book is unfair AND poor fiction. Not my problem that you're willing to swallow her line. As with all "isms", the more ridicule heaped upon them the better, IMO.

It caught my attn because I heard it is req'd reading for college repubs…

Unfortunately it’s ‘required reading’ for anyone interested in serious American political debate, as it illustrates the mindset/worldview of many rightists.

It’s a conservative fantasy, Nietzsche for Americans – with character John Galt in the role of the Übermensch.

Atlas Shrugged is the cornerstone of conservative utopianism.

The only good thing I can say about it is it wasn’t as horrible as Mein Kampf.

I would think the premise is: it was a lousy book, so that doesn't hold up much hope for the movie. Just because you can't handle the truth, don't go whining that we're being unfair. The whole book is unfair AND poor fiction. Not my problem that you're willing to swallow her line. As with all "isms", the more ridicule heaped upon them the better, IMO.

Rand's basic and most important ideas are about the individual being noble, strong and creative and the mob being mindlessly controlled and a danger to individual thought and liberty.

It is symptomatic of Liberals that they find these thoughts to be reprehensible.

While Atlas Shrugged is a novel, it is best read as a parable.

As far as it being unfair, that is an odd charge to level against a work of fiction. How did feel about the fairness of Star Wars?

She sets a premise as most works of fiction do, creates characters, again a pretty standard feature of fiction, and then allows the characters to live within the contrived setting.

Like every novel, it is not for everyone. Some see the value in it and others can't. It's no indictment of those who like it or of those who do not. If it speaks to you, that is great. If not, that's the way it is.

It is a very dark book. Dark like Blade Runner. Another contrived piece of fiction. Did you feel that Blade Runner was fair or unfair?

What is a work of fiction that you admire that you feel is fair?

It is symptomatic of Liberals that they find these thoughts to be reprehensible.
No, these are clearly laudable and universal traits with which ‘liberals’ take no issue; rather, it’s the vilification of the working class and government as ‘the mob,’ the dissonance created between the middle class and a perceived ‘elite’ entitled to privilege and power that ‘liberals’ correctly object to.

Forum List

Back