Race Relations Between Blacks And Whites In America
By Mybrotha.COM Staff Writer - March 1, 2006

Print

Tweet

inShare​
article_forums.gif
Comments

race_relations_index.jpg
The state of relations between Blacks and Whites in the U.S. still suffers greatly, and a lack of recognition and understanding by the public and the federal government only exacerbates the problem. For decades, the U.S. government has been repeatedly accused of neglecting this problem by not properly addressing its components - which are oftentimes vividly played out in schools, on the streets, in the media, and in the workplace.

One of the loudest complaints by Americans is that Congress and the Federal Government have never waged war against racism. While billions of U.S. dollars are spent fighting terrorist regimes thousands of miles away, the government has allowed race relations within American communities to diminish. This isn't a predicament that calls for a "figure it out amongst yourselves", type of solution. It needs a targeted, effective solution strategy that the government should spearhead.

There is a rekindled White supremacy movement in the U.S., which completely discredits many sociologists who claim that racism no longer exists. These extremist groups, including the KKK and anti-government organizations, have seen a rapid increase in membership since September 11, 2001. Also, there are a number of Black and Hispanic gangs that advocate intolerance and hatred, and by doing so, promote violence.

While these are vivid displays of blatant racism that need unprecedented attention, there are other forms of inequality that can have a more profound effect on livelihood. Long-term economic and social disadvantage can create widespread poverty and injustice, which can be much more devastating than any gang or hate-group.

During the Hurricane Katrina evacuations, many media outlets and reporters referred to the largely Black population of displaced New Orleanians as, "refugees". Some wonder whether these same labels would have been applied to White persons fleeing the San Francisco Bay area during a similar disaster. Coupled with economic and political inequalities, media insensitivity can create heightened resentment since these types of misaligned portrayals can reach large audiences.

For many in the U.S., racial inequality is about fairness and elitism. The American political system is divided down racial lines, and so is the economic power grid. In fact, both are visibly lopsided which many believe is the wedge that creates racial division where Whites seem to be advantaged, while Blacks appear disadvantaged. Fundamentally, a war between the "haves" and "have-nots".

Many Americans do not recognize certain instances of racism since they are subtle, or difficult to detect. For many, there is a nagging desire to believe that the civil rights movement of the 1960s solved the problems that were carried over from prior history. But clearly, this is not the case.

Adversely, there are those who sadly hold on to anger and bitterness which is directed towards history's atrocities. But harboring these types of emotions, even when justified, can cloud ethical judgment and prevents progress by destroying the opportunities for growth and healing.

While systemic and institutionalized racism have robbed people of color of the many advantages available to others in the U.S., the problems do not lie squarely with White Americans. A number of influential Black leaders have often been quoted spewing disparaging remarks about Whites and other ethnicities. There are also bouts of "intra-racism" in many Black communities which further separates a group of people who should be solidified in their uniqueness.

Cultures eventually change and fluctuate over time, and American race relations are progressively moving towards more individuality and intolerance, and less towards harmony. Whether this is fueled by anger, fear, or miscommunication, the fact remains that the end result is a divided nation.

The quality of the human experience within U.S borders can be vastly effected by skin color and economic status, and the country cannot sustain this type of disconnect much longer.

We as a nation need more intelligent talk on race.

I've spoken of him before, but one of my best college buddies and I often held frank and intelligent discussions on race. And this was the mid-70's. And it sometimes extended to his/my circle of friends. It wasn't always easy and often uncomfortable. But it worked. Maybe it's because we were stoned most of the time LOL.

Once you make a friend in someone - a good friend - there seems to be nothing you can't discuss on a rational intelligent level.

Maybe that's where we should start. By being friends.

I'd seen Michael in the dorm... he lived next door. But we never spoke.

One night there's a knock on the door, I open, and there he stood.

"Hey you got some rolling papers"?

I gave him a look-over and replied "what makes you think we smoke"?

"Dude, we can smell it".

Thus began one hell of a friendship and relationship with one of the finest persons I've ever known.

He was from East St. Louis. I think he sort of reminds me of Bubba only smarter and wiser, and without the protruding lip. :D

He called me his corn-fed mark and I called him my Oreo. I've told this shit before, but you're going to hear it again. AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT.

I remember Michael and his roommate came over one night, we shared a few bowls, and I put this on the stereo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAupoJFN5Rw]Yes - Relayer (Full album) - YouTube[/ame]

It fuckin' blew them away. (As it does me to this day :))

Another time he invited us next door to meet some of his friends and watch a documentary on TV. This was before DVR's and all that shit. Anyway- it was about the Old South. I remember sweating bullets but by damn we all sat in rapt silence. Everyone was very cool and afterwards we held some discussion about the history of slavery, segregation, integration, (then) current events, etc. It was all very respectful and amicable.

Another remembrance... my roommate and I went to a university basketball game with Michael, his roommate, and several of their friends. During the National Anthem, Phil and I stood with hands on heart and there was Michael and his friends - seated - chanting "not 'till we're free"!

Not a word was said. We had a nice walk back to the dorm and that was it.

We gave each other space, respect, a willing ear. We each had a pride and confidence in our own place in life and in society. It was a mutual thing.

I learned more in the two years that I knew that guy than I have in the ensuing 30 years.

Oh wow- I just remembered another friend of mine that I knew after I graduated. LOL great stories there too. Stay tuned...

Ok - I can't remember the guy's name, but he worked as a cook for a friend of mine who managed a restaurant in east Tennessee. I'd show up late at night, after closing, with a 6 pack. We shoved it into the ice maker so it would chill down while we ate fried clam strips.

Then the cook said "hey, I want to take you guys someplace but you got to be cool. Just stay close and you'll be ok". So they close down the restaurant, we get in the car, and drive way out in the country down some dirt roads to this tin shack. Inside was a bar and a pool table. The place was filled with black guys who all looked meaner than my mother-in-law. We had a beer, he introduced us to maybe one guy then we got the fuck out of there.

So fast forward - we take the cook to a campus bar in downtown Knoxville. Wall-to-wall White. Oh wait- before we went in, we sat in the car and got shit-face stoned LOL.

So we're in the bar and after about a half hour I pick up on some really weird vibes. They do not like Sam I Am. That was obvious. I see some White boys sidling up to our friend, so I got my beer bottle in hand ready to thump some heads when Chuck says "let's get the fuck out of here". And there we went....

Last edited:
Know what?We get along just fine if we consider ourselves to just be Americans and nothing else.
It worked like a charm while I was in the Navy.

The Age of Obama! Thus post-racial American! ROTFLMAO!!!

You live in the Czech Republic?You folks banned David Duke.Please accept my heartiest
congratulations.You did good.
Because I live in the Czech Republic?!
The Czech Republic is in fact pre-racial. When enough people get here of other races they will understand racism far more than they do with the 2% Gypsy population they have now.

Forum List

Back