Quentin Tarantino in talks for Star Trek TV show

I've followed the writing and production of ST very closely over my life! I'd love to know which writers you knew!
Most of the old ones. David Gerrold, The "EX" - Harlan Ellison, Theodore Sturgeon, Larry Niven. Lester del Rey, did he write something? Oh so many. That was back in the day. David Gerrold gave me a Tribble. I a fool, I put it in the glove compartment of my car. I had a really serious accident and forgot ir was there. My car was towed for junk. Tribble lost forever.

Most of the old ones. David Gerrold, The "EX" - Harlan Ellison, Theodore Sturgeon, Larry Niven.
Geez, these are the greats!

Lester del Rey, did he write something?
No, not for Star Trek. But I have his novel: Nerves!

Oh so many. That was back in the day. David Gerrold gave me a Tribble.
Cool! He is one of my favorite authors. I really like his novel: Space Skimmer.

I a fool, I put it in the glove compartment of my car. I had a really serious accident and forgot ir was there. My car was towed for junk. Tribble lost forever.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.28.53 PM.jpg
That really sucks. Worse, by now that thing could be worth $10,000. I have a few Star Trek books written by Gerrold including I think The World of Star Trek and the pivotal The Trouble With Tribbles which was entirely devoted to that one episode.

Geez, these are the greats!

No, not for Star Trek. But I have his novel: Nerves!

Cool! He is one of my favorite authors. I really like his novel: Space Skimmer.

View attachment 593296That really sucks. Worse, by now that thing could be worth $10,000. I have a few Star Trek books written by Gerrold including I think The World of Star Trek and the pivotal The Trouble With Tribbles which was entirely devoted to that one episode.
Lester Del Rey was one of the nicest, kindest human beings. He was married to a truly ugly and deformed dwarf named Judy. She was a jewel of a human. Generous, kind, never said an unkind word about anyone. Everyone that knew her loved her. Judy was an editor of several anthologies and a magazine. I want to say Astounding but I might be wrong.

David Gerrold gave me a story to read, "With A Finger in My I" I really disliked it. Now it's considered one of his best. I called him up after I read it and said "David, you're GAY!". I don't know why I didn't recognize it before.

Ohh I prattle on and on.

Let's go farther back, before Pike, to Captain April, who was never mentioned in the show but was an early sketch-board possibility for what finally evolved into Kirk, the Horatio Hornblower of the Stars.
this was a novel written about him and Jims father George....wasnt to bad....

1643289261297.png

Lester Del Rey was one of the nicest, kindest human beings. He was married to a truly ugly and deformed dwarf named Judy. She was a jewel of a human. Generous, kind, never said an unkind word about anyone. Everyone that knew her loved her. Judy was an editor of several anthologies and a magazine. I want to say Astounding but I might be wrong.
I have some Astounding Magazines. More like booklets. Next time I have cause to handle them I'll have to try to look and see if I can find her name there!

David Gerrold gave me a story to read, "With A Finger in My I" I really disliked it. Now it's considered one of his best.
I've looked at it but never read it.

I called him up after I read it and said "David, you're GAY!". I don't know why I didn't recognize it before.
I do know David used to like to hang out at Roddenberry's desk posing for some pretty cheesy photos. Like Ellison, he practically lived on the set of Star Trek while he was involved.

this was a novel written about him and Jims father George....wasnt to bad....

View attachment 593349

I'm not too surprised someone found a way of writing around these characters. Me, I've never been one for all the books, novels and other extra-curricular stuff many people do trying to expound on Star Trek and expand the market. I did once see a streaming video of some aftermarket Star Trek show that had Walter Koenig, Nichols, and maybe one or two other recognizable characters. Mediocre production quality.

The only two novels of Star Trek I've ever really bought or kept was the first Star Trek novel written for children, Mission To Horatius, a gift of sorts, in mint condition, and the very first Star Trek novel written for adults, Spock Must Die, also in absolute new mint condition.

I'm not too surprised someone found a way of writing around these characters. Me, I've never been one for all the books, novels and other extra-curricular stuff many people do trying to expound on Star Trek and expand the market. I did once see a streaming video of some aftermarket Star Trek show that had Walter Koenig, Nichols, and maybe one or two other recognizable characters. Mediocre production quality.

The only two novels of Star Trek I've ever really bought or kept was the first Star Trek novel written for children, Mission To Horatius, a gift of sorts, in mint condition, and the very first Star Trek novel written for adults, Spock Must Die, also in absolute new mint condition.
i have read a hell of a lot of the novels from all the series except the Enterprise series.....and most of them were a hundred times more imaginative than the series.....some top notch writers wrote some of them....

i have read a hell of a lot of the novels from all the series except the Enterprise series.....and most of them were a hundred times more imaginative than the series.....some top notch writers wrote some of them....

Well, yes, you can always imagine more on paper than is practical to produce on a live set. Some of the Star Trek cartoons exemplified that. The question I always ask myself though is the same question Roddenberry always asked of his writers though as to whether it was really "Star Trek."

Roddenberry, Fontana and others continually rewrote excellent stories because as Gene would put it, to make the characters true to and consistent with the world of Star Trek.

Ellison wrote the fantastic story of 'Edge of Forever,' but as Gene put it, it just wasn't Star Trek. For one thing, Kirk wasn't even the hero of the original story! So, to Harlan's great angst, Gene rewrote the story to preserve the best parts of it and essence while making it into a Star Trek episode where the characters remained true to themselves and the overall series.

I have some Astounding Magazines. More like booklets. Next time I have cause to handle them I'll have to try to look and see if I can find her name there!

I've looked at it but never read it.

I do know David used to like to hang out at Roddenberry's desk posing for some pretty cheesy photos. Like Ellison, he practically lived on the set of Star Trek while he was involved.
My mistake. It was Galaxy books.
With A Finger In My I is about a man who invents time travel so he could seduce himself as a boy in a homosexual relationship.

Not a fan of Disney unless Pixar is involved. Star Wars was ruined with in your face it's all about the money.

The moment I read the news that Disney bought Lucasfilm, I knew they would release a shitty movie every 12-16 months until people couldn't stand it anymore. I was right.

George Lucas is a greedy bastard who let Disney shit on his legacy (and his fans) for $3 billion.

Tarantino may concentrate on the subterfuge of the Romulans and Section 31.

Forum List

Back