Putin's reaction on shooting down Russian plane by Turkey

Putin: This event goes beyond regular efforts to combat terrorism.

Our servicemen are engaged in a heroic fight against terrorism, not sparing themselves or their own lives. However, today’s loss is a result of a stab in the back delivered by terrorists’ accomplices. There is no other way I can qualify what happened today.

Our aircraft was shot down over Syrian territory by an air-to-air missile launched from a Turkish F-16 plane. It fell on Syrian territory, four kilometres from the Turkish border. When it was attacked in the air, it was flying at an altitude of 6,000 metres, one kilometre away from the Turkish territory. In any case, our plane and our pilots were in no way a threat to the Turkish Republic in any way. This is obvious.

They were conducting an operation to fight ISIS in northern Latakia – a mountainous area where militants, mainly those coming from the Russian Federation, are concentrated. In this sense, they were doing their direct duty delivering preventive blows at terrorists who could return to Russia at any moment. Those people should certainly be classified as international terrorists.

We have long been recording the movement of a large amount of oil and petroleum products to Turkey from ISIS-occupied territories. This explains the significant funding the terrorists are receiving. Now they are stabbing us in the back by hitting our planes that are fighting terrorism. This is happening despite the agreement we have signed with our American partners to prevent air incidents, and, as you know, Turkey is among those who are supposed to be fighting terrorism within the American coalition.

If ISIS is making so much money – we are talking about tens or maybe even hundreds of millions, possibly billions of dollars – in oil trade and they are supported by the armed forces of an entire state, it is clear why they are being so daring and impudent, why they are killing people in such gruesome ways, why they are committing terrorist attacks all over the world, including in the heart of Europe.

We will of course carefully analyse what has happened and today’s tragic event will have significant consequences for Russian-Turkish relations.

We have always treated Turkey not merely as a close neighbour, but as a friendly state. I do not know who benefits from what has happened today. We certainly do not. Moreover, instead of immediately establishing contacts with us, as far as we know Turkey turned to its NATO partners to discuss this incident. As if we had hit their plane and not the other way around.

Do they wish to make NATO serve ISIS? I know that every state has its regional interests, and we always respect those. However, we will never turn a blind eye to such crimes as the one that was committed today.

Obviously, we expect the international community to make an effort to join forces in the fight against this common evil.

In this connection, we are counting on the active participation of all the countries in the region in this struggle. I am therefore very happy to meet with you today, Your Majesty. We will continue working with your special services experts and your military, as well as with other countries in the region.

Meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan

Putin in is just covering his own ass from embarrassment in Russia.
Wait till US armed the rebels with should loser to air missile.

If it had been one of OUR jets, we would expect a significant response. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I side with Russia on this one.

If it had been one of OUR jets, we would expect a significant response. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I side with Russia on this one.

Turkey ran to NATO almost immediately afterwards yelling, "Mama, I f^cked up!". Yes, the same Turkey that has been denying Armenian genocide for almost 100 years. Turkey is dirty, no doubt!

Nato convenes emergency Brussels meeting after Russian jet shot down..

Turkey shoots down Russian jet: War of words rages on as Nato convenes emergency meeting in Brussels
President Vladimir Putin branded Turkey 'accomplices of terrorists' and warned of 'serious consequences'
Nato has been plunged into crisis after Turkey became the first alliance member to shoot down a Russian military plane in more than half a century. President Vladimir Putin branded Turkey “accomplices of terrorists” and warned of “serious consequences” after the Turkish military downed a Russian Su-24 fighter jet accused of violating its air space during an operation in northern Syria. Both the United States and Nato urged calm after a war of words erupted between Turkey and Russia, who are on opposing sides of Syria’s spiralling conflict.

pg-4-russia-plane-graphic.jpg

Russia summoned the Turkish military attache in Moscow and Ankara called in Moscow’s chargé d’affaires. The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, cancelled a trip to Turkey that had been planned for 25 November. Speaking in Washington as Nato convened an emergency meeting in Brussels, the US President, Barack Obama, said that Turkey “has a right to defend its territory and its airspace” but urged both sides to be cool-headed. “My top priority is going to be to ensure that this does not escalate,” Mr Obama said at a White House news conference alongside France’s President, François Hollande.

The Nato chief, Jens Stoltenberg, said the alliance stood in solidarity with Turkey, but added: “Diplomacy and de-escalation are important to resolve this situation.” Ankara and Moscow gave conflicting accounts of the sequence that led to the first acknowledged downing of a Russian jet by a Nato member since the Korean war in the 1950s. Turkey said it issued 10 warnings in a five-minute period to two Russian Su-24 aircraft at about 9.20am local time. It claimed one left Turkish airspace over the southern province of Hatay but the second did not respond, prompting Turkish F-16 jets to fire air-to-air missiles.

pg-4-russia-plane-3-epa.jpg

A woman holds a poster saying 'The hit pilots have been destroying terrorists to save lives of our and your civilians' while picketing the Turkish Embassy in Moscow, Russia​

The Turkish Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, said Turkey had the right “to take all kinds of measures” against violations of its borders. Mr Putin said the plane had been shot down over Syrian airspace and landed 4km from the Turkish border, adding that it was “obvious” that the craft posed no threat. The Russian President said pilots had simply been carrying out their mission of fighting Isis inside Syria and described the Turkish attack as a “stab in the back”. In a further barb, he suggested that the Turks were protecting Isis fighters from attacks by Russia, asking: “Do they want to make Nato serve Isis?”

MORE

See also:

Will the downing of Russian jet over Turkey lead to a wider war?
24 Nov.`15 - Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned of 'serious consequences' for Turkey
The dangerous skies over Syria have now earned their reputation. On November 24 2015, the Turkish foreign ministry confirmed that its forces had shot down a fighter aircraft on the Turkish border with Syria. The Russian foreign ministry confirmed soon afterwards that it has lost an SU-24 over Syria. The situation remains tense: two pilots were filmed ejecting from the stricken aircraft; one is reported to be in the hands of pro-Turkish Turkmen rebels along the border but the fate of the other is unknown – early reports from Reuters said it had video of the second pilot seemingly dead on the ground.

Warplane.jpg

The Russian jet crashes in flames in a mountainous area in northern Syria after it was shot down by Turkish fighter jets​

Russian president, Vladimir Putin, called the incident a “a stab in the back, carried out by the accomplices of terrorists”. He said the shooting down would have “significant consequences, including for Russia-Turkish relations”. Russia’s foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, is understood to have cancelled a planned trip to Turkey and NATO announced there would be a meeting of its North Atlantic Council in Brussels to discuss the shootdown.

How might this escalate?

This comes at a time, following the Paris attacks, when the US and its Western allies had been reaching a tentative agreement with Russia to solve the previous impasse over a possible transition of power in Syria. Turkey and other Sunni Middle Eastern states are ranged against the Assad regime and not happy at the prospect of a deal that would leave him in power – even if only on a temporary basis. Iran and Russia have been keen to see their Syrian ally remain in power, although Russia has been coming around to the idea of a transition but has steadfastly argued that it is imperative to defeat Isis militarily first.

MORE

Turkey aligns with Ukraine.

Turks are assholes.

They prevented 4th Armored Division from entering Iraq from the North during operation Iraqi Freedom.

I hope Russia hammers those backstabbing pricks.
Except for the fact that Turkey is a NATO member and we would be bound by treaty to come to its defence. That would be a bad thing, not a good thing.
I'm sorry, we aren't bound by anything under this president.

He bailed on Ukraine.....so anything he does to help the Turks shows favoritism and in my opinion is an act of war.

Turks are assholes.

They prevented 4th Armored Division from entering Iraq from the North during operation Iraqi Freedom.

Erdogan is playing a very dangerous game here.

He's been buying oil off ISIS and everyone knows it.

He's been assisting ISIS smuggling antiquities out of Syria and every one knows it.

He wants the Muslim Brotherhood in charge of Syria and everyone knows it.

He's been bombing Kurds and everyone knows it.

He's backed al Nusra with everything he can and everyone knows it.

Many oh so many believe Erdogan was behind the chemical attack on the outskirts of Damascus.

This is one evil son of a bitch cuz who has delusions of grandeur of bringing back the Ottaman Empire.

Needless to say I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy right now.

Putin mad enough to chew nails...

Putin Warns of Payback for Turkey Downing Russian Warplane
Nov 25, 2015 | The downing of a Russian Su-24 attack aircraft by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet on Tuesday posed the threat of more dogfights over Syria and dashed French hopes of a "grand coalition" with the U.S. and Russia to combat the Islamic State. Russian President Vladimir Putin immediately called the incident over the eastern Turkish-Syrian border a "stab in the back" and warned of "serious consequences."
At a joint White House news conference with French President Francois Hollande, President Barack Obama said, "My top priority is to ensure this does not escalate" into more confrontations between the air arms of Russia and the U.S.-led coalition, which includes NATO ally Turkey. However, he said, "Turkey, like every country, has the right to defend its territory and its airspace." Hollande, who will go to Moscow on Thursday for talks with Putin, echoed Obama in saying that Russia was welcome to join the coalition but only if Putin dropped support of the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and focused on defeating ISIS.

russia-plane-turkey-600.jpg

U.S. officials said the downed jet was one of two Sukhoi Su-24s that were intercepted by two Turkish F-16s over the area where Turkey's Hatay province meets the Syrian border along the Mediterranean coast. Turkish officials said the Su-24s had violated Turkish airspace. The F-16 fired only after at least 10 warnings to leave the area were ignored, the officials said. Russian officials just as adamantly maintained that the Su-24 was fired upon without warning over Syrian territory. Video from the private Turkish broadcaster Haberturk TV showed the Su-24, a two-seat, swept-wing aircraft with the NATO code name "Fencer," trailing smoke and going down in flames in a wooded area.

U.S. officials confirmed that the Turkish planes gave at least 10 warnings. "We could hear everything" that was said in the radio transmissions, and "the Russians didn't respond," said Army Col. Steve Warren, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve in Baghdad. He also said that there was no "mayday" emergency call from the Russian plane. The fate of the two crew members of the Su-24 was unclear. Initial reports were that both crew members had ejected safely but were shot by ethnic Turkmens in the area as their parachutes neared ground. Other reports said one of the crew members may have survived. Syrian activist groups also reported that the Russians may have suffered additional casualties in an effort by a Russian rescue helicopter to reach the two crew members.

downed-russian-jet-600x400.jpg

The Free Syrian Army, which is opposed to Assad and has receive support from the U.S., released footage showing rebels using a U.S. "TOW" wire-guided anti-tank missile to destroy a Russian helicopter on the ground. A narrator of the video shouted "Allahu Akbar," meaning "God is great," as the missile hit the helicopter. A Russian marine may have been killed in the attack, activist groups said. Lt. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy, of the Russian General Staff, said that one Russian marine was killed when two Russian Mi-8 helicopters went on a search-and-rescue mission for the two Su-24 crew members. One of the helicopters was damaged by small arms fire and made an emergency landing in which the marine was killed, Rudskoy said. "The helicopter was destroyed by mortar fire conducted from the territory controlled by illegal, armed groups," Rudskoy said.

MORE

Our servicemen are engaged in a heroic fight against terrorism, not sparing themselves or their own lives. However, today’s loss is a result of a stab in the back delivered by terrorists’ accomplices. There is no other way I can qualify what happened today.

Our aircraft was shot down over Syrian territory by an air-to-air missile launched from a Turkish F-16 plane. It fell on Syrian territory, four kilometres from the Turkish border. When it was attacked in the air, it was flying at an altitude of 6,000 metres, one kilometre away from the Turkish territory. In any case, our plane and our pilots were in no way a threat to the Turkish Republic in any way. This is obvious.

They were conducting an operation to fight ISIS in northern Latakia – a mountainous area where militants, mainly those coming from the Russian Federation, are concentrated. In this sense, they were doing their direct duty delivering preventive blows at terrorists who could return to Russia at any moment. Those people should certainly be classified as international terrorists.

We have long been recording the movement of a large amount of oil and petroleum products to Turkey from ISIS-occupied territories. This explains the significant funding the terrorists are receiving. Now they are stabbing us in the back by hitting our planes that are fighting terrorism. This is happening despite the agreement we have signed with our American partners to prevent air incidents, and, as you know, Turkey is among those who are supposed to be fighting terrorism within the American coalition.

If ISIS is making so much money – we are talking about tens or maybe even hundreds of millions, possibly billions of dollars – in oil trade and they are supported by the armed forces of an entire state, it is clear why they are being so daring and impudent, why they are killing people in such gruesome ways, why they are committing terrorist attacks all over the world, including in the heart of Europe.

We will of course carefully analyse what has happened and today’s tragic event will have significant consequences for Russian-Turkish relations.

We have always treated Turkey not merely as a close neighbour, but as a friendly state. I do not know who benefits from what has happened today. We certainly do not. Moreover, instead of immediately establishing contacts with us, as far as we know Turkey turned to its NATO partners to discuss this incident. As if we had hit their plane and not the other way around.

Do they wish to make NATO serve ISIS? I know that every state has its regional interests, and we always respect those. However, we will never turn a blind eye to such crimes as the one that was committed today.

Obviously, we expect the international community to make an effort to join forces in the fight against this common evil.

In this connection, we are counting on the active participation of all the countries in the region in this struggle. I am therefore very happy to meet with you today, Your Majesty. We will continue working with your special services experts and your military, as well as with other countries in the region.

What on earth are you talking about? Putin has no embarrassment in Russia and the whole damn planet knows that the US has been involved in arming the terrorists in Syria.

What everyone should start to sweat is that Assad has accepted the coalition bombing in HIS MOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY.

Now if he wants with Russian backing he really can say GET THE FUCK OUT. We're dealing with it with Russia and Iran.

Turks are assholes.

Hope..... Puting is a pussy. Obama is kicking Puting ass right now.
The Turks shot that jet down......and you think Obama was responsible. *rolls eyes* :slap:

Fucking pathetic. :lame2:

Dude.. Read at the beginning of this thread....blaming Obama. So if you blame Obama responsible of this incident then he get the credit. You got it asshole? I mean traitor.

Turks are assholes.

Erdogan is playing a very dangerous game here.

He's been buying oil off ISIS and everyone knows it.

He's been assisting ISIS smuggling antiquities out of Syria and every one knows it.

He wants the Muslim Brotherhood in charge of Syria and everyone knows it.

He's been bombing Kurds and everyone knows it.

He's backed al Nusra with everything he can and everyone knows it.

Many oh so many believe Erdogan was behind the chemical attack on the outskirts of Damascus.

This is one evil son of a bitch cuz who has delusions of grandeur of bringing back the Ottaman Empire.

Needless to say I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy right now.
And he's Obama's buttbuddy.

Turks are assholes.

Except for the fact that Turkey is a NATO member and we would be bound by treaty to come to its defence. That would be a bad thing, not a good thing.

He bailed on Ukraine.....so anything he does to help the Turks shows favoritism and in my opinion is an act of war.

You don't what you are talking about idiot.

Oh Russia will respond, count on it

I seriously doubt it. Best they can do is suspend Turkey airlines coming to Russia or cut off diplomatic relations.

You obviously are clueless about Russia and Putin

The only thing you know... Putin ass licker.

Turks are assholes.

You don't what you are talking about idiot.
Yes I do.....fucknuts.

:up_yours:

What on earth are you talking about? Putin has no embarrassment in Russia and the whole damn planet knows that the US has been involved in arming the terrorists in Syria.

What everyone should start to sweat is that Assad has accepted the coalition bombing in HIS MOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY.

Now if he wants with Russian backing he really can say GET THE FUCK OUT. We're dealing with it with Russia and Iran.

I seriously doubt it. Best they can do is suspend Turkey airlines coming to Russia or cut off diplomatic relations.

Psssssssssssssssssst. Oil and gas. Close to 20%.

Blow me.....Obama Salad-tosser.

Awww you mad, sparky? You realize I think you're a crass, uneducated buffoon, right?

Forum List

Back