Public housing nationwide goes smoke-free on Tuesday

Im ok with this.
Smoking inside damages the interior of homes.

That's a fine excuse. But smoking is banned outside as well. This is nothing more than a righteousness policy.
Yes, i just read it is banned in common areas as well.
Is the entire property considered a "common area?"
Do you feel the same about public parks and what-not that have banned it?

Well smoking is a very expensive habit. If you can afford to buy cigarettes why are you even in public housing?

Public areas would seem to include anywhere on the entire development, including people's front yards. I think it's fine to prohibit smoking at a community playground. But I don't like the idea of the government creating back-door bans on legal choices for no other reason than to perpetuate the idea that poor people need to be punished and made to suffer.

Public areas would seem to include anywhere on the entire development, including people's front yards. I think it's fine to prohibit smoking at a community playground. But I don't like the idea of the government creating back-door bans on legal choices for no other reason than to perpetuate the idea that poor people need to be punished and made to suffer.
I dont either. I just seem to have problems seeing how this does that.
It saves money. Its not their property. Second hand smoke is harmful to people.
However, I do not see why they couldnt install a designated "smoking area" as a common courtesy

Yep, this will work. The residents have no problem breaking current laws with drugs, to many people in an apartment, welfare fraud. I'm sure they will adhere to this.

I live in a smoke free home, but to tell people they can't smoke even on their balconies is really getting into the lives of people, they seem to think that Hud people
Well smoking is a very expensive habit. If you can afford to buy cigarettes why are you even in public housing?

This law was made under Obama:
Obama administration bans smoking in low-income housing

Now give credit to where credit is due.

I live in a smoke free home, but to tell people they can't smoke even on their balconies is really getting into the lives of people, they seem to think that Hud people

This law was made under Obama:
Obama administration bans smoking in low-income housing

Now give credit to where credit is due.
So! Catch them smoking and toss them out. Grounds for eviction. Thanks obummer!

I'm sure some lawyers will grab hold of this and file suit for infringement of rights and freedom of choice. It would be ruled unconstitutional and taxpayers will end up paying the attorney fees.

I'm sure some lawyers will grab hold of this and file suit for infringement of rights and freedom of choice. It would be ruled unconstitutional and taxpayers will end up paying the attorney fees.

Well I love smoke free, but one can't tell people what to do in their homes and don't say its not their home because it is.

Yep, this will work. The residents have no problem breaking current laws with drugs, to many people in an apartment, welfare fraud. I'm sure they will adhere to this.

And the wealthy don't abide by laws either.

Most of the people in Hud homes are vets, disabled and seniors. They should be allowed to smoke outside, or on their patios if they have them.

In the 80's patients were allowed to smoke while lying in bed in hospitals. Even in the 90's we had some smoking rooms.

What's your point? That has nothing to do with this.

You are saying those in HUD have no problem with breaking laws with drugs and I said neither do the rich.

What's your point? That has nothing to do with this.

You are saying those in HUD have no problem with breaking laws with drugs and I said neither do the rich.
I said since laws are being broken what makes someone think this law will work Your statement has nothing to do with the conversation.

Forum List

Back