PT109 The Movie

Wrong again!
Try post #16 also.

Joe Jr. was flying mission #7.
Remembering the Death of Lt. Joe Kennedy Jr. and America’s First Combat Drones
Seventy years ago, on August 12, 1944, Lieutenant Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. perished in one of the first American fatalities associated with a pilotless aircraft, which we usually know today as a drone or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
Just fucking quit, will you, you are really showing how fucking retarded you are...

No it was the reckless Japanese SUV that rammed into the PT109 speedboat.
Article isn't claiming otherwise. Just providing details and context.
The IJN Destroyer was traveling fast compared to the idling, barely moving PT boat, on a dark and moonless night. By the time either vessel spotted the other, the distance and relative speeds were such as to make the collision highly probable. Not much out of the ordinary under the circumstances.

Remembering the Death of Lt. Joe Kennedy Jr. and America’s First Combat Drones Just fucking quit, will you, you are really showing how fucking retarded you are...
Your article linked says "one of the first", not "the first".

The link I provided shows about six USAAF missions with B-17s (about 12 aircraft) prior to the first USN mission using a PB4Y-1(B-24) flown by Joe Kennedy Jr.
Accuracy is in the details which you failed to grasp.

Ignorance combined with stupidity on your part surpasses "retarded" by a country mile.
Try getting some brains and accuracy before continuing.

Your article linked says "one of the first", not "the first".

The link I provided shows about six USAAF missions with B-17s (about 12 aircraft) prior to the first USN mission using a PB4Y-1(B-24) flown by Joe Kennedy Jr.
Accuracy is in the details which you failed to grasp.

Ignorance combined with stupidity on your part surpasses "retarded" by a country mile.
Try getting some brains and accuracy before continuing.
Leave it to a Democrat to play word games...

I'd suggest you do research and get some facts before spouting verbal manure.
The aircraft Joe flew was essentially a flying bomb which detonated prematurely.
EXCERPT:

Born to fly​

Even though Joseph had goals of entering politics, he was too enticed by the siren call of aviation. After prematurely leaving Harvard Law School, he signed up to join the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1941. The following year, he began his basic training for naval aviation and accepted his wings. After being assigned to a number of patrol squadrons in the U.S., he was appointed to a bomber squadron in England in 1944. At that point, he had successfully finished 25 missions and had the opportunity to go back home. However, he had one last mission in mind: a voluntary one with Operation Aphrodite.

This classified mission involved an extensive bombing procedure in Normandy, France. Joseph’s job was to steer a drone filled with bombshells into a rocket missile site in Germany via remote control. He radioed his final words, the aerial code “Spade Flush.” Just a few minutes later, the drone’s bombs exploded early, killing Kennedy and his co-pilot Wilford John Willy. About the horrific incident, President Kennedy reflected, “It may be felt, perhaps, that Joe should not have pushed his luck so far and should have accepted his leave and come home.” But he continued, “he considered the odds at least fifty-fifty, and Joe never asked for any better odds than that.” Joseph was only 29 years old.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. - Wikipedia

~~~~~~~~~~~~
EXCERPT:
On August 12, 1944, Kennedy and Lieutenant Wilford John Willy took off in a converted B-24 Liberator (the drone versions were designated BQ-8) from Royal Air Force Station Fersfield, near Norwich. Their target was a massive underground military complex called the Fortress of Mimoyecques that had the potential to launch devastating attacks directly at London. Several minutes short of the planned bail out, an electrical fault in the Liberator caused the Torpex to detonate. In a thunderous instant, the plane and both men flying it simply ceased to exist.

I'd like to tell you that Joseph Kennedy Jr. gave his life helping to develop an amazing superweapon that dealt a crushing blow to the Nazis and accelerated the end of the war in the European theater. Unfortunately, Operation: Aphrodite was a complete disaster. Of more than a dozen missions, only one plane caused damage to the intended target, and that was only because it happened to crash somewhat close to the target purely by chance. More American airmen were killed than Nazis, and more damage was done to the British countryside than to Germany.
Rebuttal to the Puff Piece by Some Charismatized Academic

Bossy and impatient, Kennedy was warned about the electrical problem but ignored it. All the Kennedys have had incidents like that carelessness and conviction that nothing could go wrong with special people like them.

What The Great Gatsby told America about your born-rich idols: "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together. and let other people clean up the mess he had made."

Article isn't claiming otherwise. Just providing details and context.
The IJN Destroyer was traveling fast compared to the idling, barely moving PT boat, on a dark and moonless night. By the time either vessel spotted the other, the distance and relative speeds were such as to make the collision highly probable. Not much out of the ordinary under the circumstances.
Camelot Dung

And the Chappaquiddick bridge suddenly flipped over and dumped a completely sober Teddy and a virgin Mary Jo into the suddenly appearing rapids beneath them.

Bossy and impatient, Kennedy was warned about the electrical problem but ignored it. All the Kennedys have had incidents like that carelessness and conviction that nothing could go wrong with special people like them.

What The Great Gatsby told America about your born-rich idols: "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together. and let other people clean up the mess he had made."
The Truth is the Kennedy administration accomplished very little. I was a Republican then and didn't think of much of Kennedy. I suppose their greatest accomplishment was forcing Russia to backdown in the Cuban Missile Crisis which damn near started WWIII. The greatest accomplish for Kennedy came after his death. The Civil Rights Bill and Voting Rights Act were dead in congress. However, Johnson who was a master in dealing with congress turned the vote for these bills into a memorial to our slain president. He even got some support from republicans.

What I remember most about the Kennedy years was his 1961 speech to put a man on moon in this decade. At that time, it sounded impossible. I had just started to work for NASA at the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. There were only about 400 employees. By the time we put a man on the moon in 1969, there were nearly half million people working on the space programs all over the country. It was really a pretty exciting time. We were going to the moon. It was the last time I remember a real national goal being set and achieved. Today, programs are started by one administration and abandoned by the next. In short. we are a nation that is going nowhere. We have no goals and we agree on practically nothing.

Last edited:
Leave it to a Democrat to play word games...
OMG!
LOL!

Exact opposite of 'Democrat' if you were to look at my posts elsewhere here. Not alt-Right, far from Left.

Not "word games" either. On top of extensive military history knowledge, last occupation was Quality Assurance Inspector. When not measuring items to thousandths of an inch tolerances, there was also the technical writing which had to be exact and precise.

Likely manufacturing and production areas you have no knowledge of or experience in.

Likely he was aware of the "new tech" aspect of this sort of modification to the aircraft. The sort of mission where if he hadn't volunteered to go, some one else would have and likely had the same gremlin hit the plane. Also, one doesn't complete a tour of duty (25 mission flights) if bossy and impatient.

If you have an article/URL to back up your claim regards the Aphrodite mission he flew, please present.

The Truth is the Kennedy administration accomplished very little. I was a Republican then and didn't think of much of Kennedy. I suppose their greatest accomplishment was forcing Russia to backdown in the Cuban Missile Crisis which damn near started WWIII. The greatest accomplish for Kennedy came after his death. The Civil Rights Bill and Voting Rights Act were dead in congress. However, Johnson who was a master in dealing with congress turned the vote for these bills into a memorial to our slain president. He even got some support from republicans.

What I remember most about the Kennedy years was his 1961 speech to put a man on moon in this decade. At that time, it sounded impossible. I had just started to work for NASA at the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. There were only about 400 employees. By the time we put a man on the moon in 1969, there were nearly half million people working on the space programs all over the country. It was really a pretty exciting time. We were going to the moon. It was the last time I remember a real national goal being set and achieved. Today, programs are started by one administration and abandoned by the next. In short. we are a nation that is going nowhere. We have no goals and we agree on practically nothing.
You may not have heard of it back then, but what you were working on was a rolled-over 'project' of the US Army. Handed off to NASA and likely brought to JFK's attention. He didn't think of the idea of placing someone on the Moon, that likely was Van Braun's idea if anyone's, but he did see the merit of it as a national goal.

EXCERPT:

Project Horizon was a 1959 study to determine the feasibility of constructing a scientific / military base on the Moon, at a time when the U.S. Department of the Army, Department of the Navy, and Department of the Air Force had total responsibility for U.S. space program plans. On June 8, 1959, a group at the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) produced for the Army a report titled Project Horizon, A U.S. Army Study for the Establishment of a Lunar Military Outpost. The project proposal states the requirements as:

The lunar outpost is required to develop and protect potential United States interests on the moon; to develop techniques in moon-based surveillance of the earth and space, in communications relay, and in operations on the surface of the moon; to serve as a base for exploration of the moon, for further exploration into space and for military operations on the moon if required; and to support scientific investigations on the moon.[1]

The permanent outpost was predicted to be required for national security "as soon as possible", and to cost $6 billion. The projected operational date with twelve soldiers was December 1966.

Horizon never progressed past the feasibility stage, being rejected by President Dwight Eisenhower when primary responsibility for America's space program was transferred to the civilian agency NASA.[2]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Project Horizon: Army Base on the Moon | Defense Media Network

The story behind this secret study (called "Project Horizon") and the plan to have an Army base on the moon by 1966, is the story of a great idea whose time has never come. When Trudeau wrote the ordnance chief, it was less than a year after the Soviets had shocked America and the West with the launch of the Sputnik satellite.

Project Horizon: Nukes and shotguns on the moon - Sandboxx

Aug 8, 2022The Army's plan had a bit of everything, including comms, food, and a schedule that would have us conquering the moon by 1964. ... The space guns of Project Horizon. While most of us likely picture lasers, rail guns, and gauss rifles when we picture space guns, the truth is much simpler. In fact, technology would seemingly take a step back to ...

I lived for a few years in Eastern Washington while working at the Hanford facility.

In the city where I live one of the PT-109 crew members also lived there. Since this was more than 20 years ago (mid 1990s) I don't remember his name.

I heard him speak two times. He would give accounts of his service at meetings on occassion. The first time was a VFW dinner and another time at a Rotary luncheon.

His account was that JFK was an arrogant SOB and not very good at his job. The men ridiculed him behind his back. He felt his shit didn't stink. He didn't have anything good to say about ole John Boy.

That fits in with his record as President. The press loved the asshole but he did not have a very good record. He was cowardly in dealing with the Russians when he had the moral upper hand to kick them out of Cuba. He betrayed the Cuban Freedom Fighters at the Bay of Pigs. His cowardice is what encouraged the Soviets to invest in Central American Communist revolutions. Probably extended the COLD War 20 years. He is the one that got us into Vietnam.

The only thing he really did good as President was to champion a tax cut.

You may not have heard of it back then, but what you were working on was a rolled-over 'project' of the US Army. Handed off to NASA and likely brought to JFK's attention. He didn't think of the idea of placing someone on the Moon, that likely was Van Braun's idea if anyone's, but he did see the merit of it as a national goal.

EXCERPT:

Project Horizon was a 1959 study to determine the feasibility of constructing a scientific / military base on the Moon, at a time when the U.S. Department of the Army, Department of the Navy, and Department of the Air Force had total responsibility for U.S. space program plans. On June 8, 1959, a group at the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) produced for the Army a report titled Project Horizon, A U.S. Army Study for the Establishment of a Lunar Military Outpost. The project proposal states the requirements as:

The permanent outpost was predicted to be required for national security "as soon as possible", and to cost $6 billion. The projected operational date with twelve soldiers was December 1966.

Horizon never progressed past the feasibility stage, being rejected by President Dwight Eisenhower when primary responsibility for America's space program was transferred to the civilian agency NASA.[2]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Project Horizon: Army Base on the Moon | Defense Media Network

The story behind this secret study (called "Project Horizon") and the plan to have an Army base on the moon by 1966, is the story of a great idea whose time has never come. When Trudeau wrote the ordnance chief, it was less than a year after the Soviets had shocked America and the West with the launch of the Sputnik satellite.

Project Horizon: Nukes and shotguns on the moon - Sandboxx

Aug 8, 2022The Army's plan had a bit of everything, including comms, food, and a schedule that would have us conquering the moon by 1964. ... The space guns of Project Horizon. While most of us likely picture lasers, rail guns, and gauss rifles when we picture space guns, the truth is much simpler. In fact, technology would seemingly take a step back to ...
When I first started working for NASA in 1960, going to the moon would be best described as a dream we hoped to make happen someday. We were still in the blowing up rockets stage and we had not sent anything live into space. In 1961, we were bolstered by our success of putting a monkey in orbit and a man. Then Kennedy announced we were going to the moon. At that time it sounded insane. We had not been able to send anything to the moon much a less a crew and bring them back alive. We had a cartoon on wall that showed a big red rocket with a man tied to it and Van Braun lighting the fuse.

I lived for a few years in Eastern Washington while working at the Hanford facility.

In the city where I live one of the PT-109 crew members also lived there. Since this was more than 20 years ago (mid 1990s) I don't remember his name.

I heard him speak two times. He would give accounts of his service at meetings on occassion. The first time was a VFW dinner and another time at a Rotary luncheon.

His account was that JFK was an arrogant SOB and not very good at his job. The men ridiculed him behind his back. He felt his shit didn't stink. He didn't have anything good to say about ole John Boy.

That fits in with his record as President. The press loved the asshole but he did not have a very good record. He was cowardly in dealing with the Russians when he had the moral upper hand to kick them out of Cuba. He betrayed the Cuban Freedom Fighters at the Bay of Pigs. His cowardice is what encouraged the Soviets to invest in Central American Communist revolutions. Probably extended the COLD War 20 years. He is the one that got us into Vietnam.

The only thing he really did good as President was to champion a tax cut.
As I said, I was not a Kennedy fan but I was certainly glad he guessed right in the Cuba Missile Crisis. My family lived in South Florida and the week of the Cuba Missile Crisis we were staying in Islamorada in the Florida keys on our boat trying to do some fishing and diving. Day and night jets were flying over. Hwy 1 was filled with military vehicles. 400,000 in the military were on high alert. There were temporary missile launch site being setup. On radio and TV, the governor was assuring us that we were perfectly save. Then the national news came on and said we were only 10 mins from Russian missiles. Then all of a sudden it was all over. The Russians backdown. I really believe this could have gone either way. WWIII could have easily started here.

As I said, I was not a Kennedy fan but I was certainly glad he guessed right in the Cuba Missile Crisis. My family lived in South Florida and the week of the Cuba Missile Crisis we were staying in Islamorada in the Florida keys on our boat trying to do some fishing and diving. Day and night jets were flying over. Hwy 1 was filled with military vehicles. 400,000 in the military were on high alert. There were temporary missile launch site being setup. On radio and TV, the governor was assuring us that we were perfectly save. Then the national news came on and said we were only 10 mins from Russian missiles. Then all of a sudden it was all over. The Russians backdown. I really believe this could have gone either way. WWIII could have easily started here.

I lived in Central Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember seeing a massive convoy of troops and equipment rolling South down Hwy 27 and thinking "what the hell?". We were scared also.

His blockade got the missiles out of Cuba but it showed weakness in dealing with the Russians. That was the opportunity to kick the Russians out and restore Cuba but he didn't do it. Just like he showed cowardice in not supporting the Bay of Pigs invasion. It gave the Soviets the green light to pursue initiatives in Central America, Africa, the Middle East and even Vietnam and we all know what happen there.

He was the darling of the press and the Limousine Libtards in Hollywood loved him but he was a shitty scumbag weak President.

I am not a conspiracy theorists and I don't know if Oswald acted alone or not. However, if Oswald didn't act alone then justice would have been served if the assassination plot was engineered by the CIA as payback for JFK betraying the Cuban freedom fighters and showing weakness to the Soviets. Just saying.

I lived in Central Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember seeing a massive convoy of troops and equipment rolling South down Hwy 27 and thinking "what the hell?". We were scared also.

His blockade got the missiles out of Cuba but it showed weakness in dealing with the Russians. That was the opportunity to kick the Russians out and restore Cuba but he didn't do it. Just like he showed cowardice in not supporting the Bay of Pigs invasion. It gave the Soviets the green light to pursue initiatives in Central America, Africa, the Middle East and even Vietnam and we all know what happen there.

He was the darling of the press and the Limousine Libtards in Hollywood loved him but he was a shitty scumbag weak President.

I am not a conspiracy theorists and I don't know if Oswald acted alone or not. However, if Oswald didn't act alone then justice would have been served if the assassination plot was engineered by the CIA as payback for JFK betraying the Cuban freedom fighters and showing weakness to the Soviets. Just saying.
The Bay of Pigs Invasion was ill-conceived from time it was approved by Eisenhower. It was envision by Eisenhower as a Cuban exile force operation taking back their country with US only supplying weapons and guidance. That apparent was not what the CIA had in mind. The CIA with assistance of US military was imbedded in every part of the mission from training, intelligence to assets on the beaches.

Kennedy learned of the existence of the invasion 4 or 5 weeks after his inauguration, about the end of February. The CIA had assets already on the ground in Cuba supplying Intel, supplies were being delivered and plans called for the invasion to be launch between April 1st and the15th. Kennedy was concerned that it would be impossible to conceal US involvement. He met with Allen Dulles who was Director of CIA and Dulles assured Kennedy that the operation was top secret and every aspect of US involvement would be concealed. That day Kennedy wrote in his daily dairy that he would approve the invasion because it had gone too far to stop it. He also wrote that he feared "the Cuban exile forces were too small to be successful and to large to conceal."

The military plans for invasion were good but with a disastrous change made by Allen Dulles. The location was originally planed for a remote area near the mountains which would have been a good base for gorilla operations. It was changed to Bay of Pigs which was surrounded by swamps but in easy reach of Castro forces because the CIA believed that the exile forces would take over Cuba within days and Dulles wanted no part of gorilla warfare.

When the exile Cuban pilots in Nicaragua few to Cuba to support the ground forces, Castro's meager air force was ready for them and stopped them. That meant that without air cover the invasion would fail.

News of the "US Invasion of Cuba" was being broadcast in Cuba before the troops hit the beach. Within hours Khrushchev had sent a message for Kennedy to the US Russian ambassador, "Withdraw your forces or we be forced to honor our pledge to support the Cuban republic." Kennedy wrote in his diary that he would not risk starting WWIII over Cuba. It was not worth it. Thus US aircover was not provided and the invasion failed. Historians believed that Khrushchev would have not have started WWIII over Cuba had Kennedy supported the invasion. Of course this is hindsight. Apparently, Kennedy learned by his mistake because he wrote in his diary during the Cuban Missile Crisis, "We will not back down again. The blockage stands."

Last edited:
The Bay of Pigs Invasion was ill-conceived from time it was approved by Eisenhower. It was envision by Eisenhower as a Cuban exile force operation taking back their country with US only supplying weapons and guidance. That apparent was not what the CIA had in mind. The CIA with assistance of US military was imbedded in every part of the mission from training, intelligence to assets on the beaches.

Kennedy learned of the existence of the invasion 4 or 5 weeks after his inauguration, about the end of February. The CIA had assets already on the ground in Cuba supplying Intel, supplies were being delivered and plans called for the invasion to be launch between April 1st and the15th. Kennedy was concerned that it would be impossible to conceal US involvement. He met with Allen Dulles who was Director of CIA and Dulles assured Kennedy that the operation was top secret and every aspect of US involvement would be concealed. That day Kennedy wrote in his daily dairy that he would approve the invasion because it had gone too far to stop it. He also wrote that he feared "the Cuban exile forces were too small to be successful and to large to conceal."

The military plans for invasion were good but with a disastrous change made by Allen Dulles. The location was originally planed for a remote area near the mountains which would have been a good base for gorilla operations. It was changed to Bay of Pigs which was surrounded by swamps but in easy reach of Castro forces because the CIA believed that the exile forces would take over Cuba within days and Dulles wanted no part of gorilla warfare.

When the exile Cuban pilots in Nicaragua few to Cuba to support the ground forces, Castro's meager air force was ready for them and stopped them. That meant that without air cover the invasion would fail.

News of the "US Invasion of Cuba" was being broadcast in Cuba before the troops hit the beach. Within hours Khrushchev had sent a message for Kennedy to the US Russian ambassador, "Withdraw your forces or we be forced to honor our pledge to support the Cuban republic." Kennedy wrote in his diary that he would not risk starting WWIII over Cuba. It was not worth it. Thus US aircover was not provided and the invasion failed. Historians believed that Khrushchev would have not have started WWIII over Cuba had Kennedy supported the invasion. Of course this is hindsight. Apparently, Kennedy learned by his mistake because he wrote in his diary during the Cuban Missile Crisis, "We will not back down again. The blockage stands."
I live in a state with many Cuban exiles. Good people for the most part. Over the decades I have got their perspective, including some that were involved in the invasion.

They tell a different story than the author of that article that you posted. They think that the invasion would have succeeded in ousting Castro and sent the Soviet Advisors home if Kennedy had just delivered what had been promised to them. They fell very strongly that it was Kennedy, not the American people, that betrayed them.

By the way, the Soviets wouldn't have gone to war over Cuba either. Using the excuse that supporting the Bay of Pigs would have started WWIII was nothing more than a coverup for cowardice. Kennedy was a chickenshit for the most part. Terrible President. He was the Darling of the Liberals with great press coverage but a Slick Willy type scumbag.

I live in a state with many Cuban exiles. Good people for the most part. Over the decades I have got their perspective, including some that were involved in the invasion.

They tell a different story than the author of that article that you posted. They think that the invasion would have succeeded in ousting Castro and sent the Soviet Advisors home if Kennedy had just delivered what had been promised to them. They fell very strongly that it was Kennedy, not the American people, that betrayed them.

By the way, the Soviets wouldn't have gone to war over Cuba either. Using the excuse that supporting the Bay of Pigs would have started WWIII was nothing more than a coverup for cowardice. Kennedy was a chickenshit for the most part. Terrible President. He was the Darling of the Liberals with great press coverage but a Slick Willy type scumbag.
After the first air attack failed to take out Cuban airbases, launching a second attack would not have saved the invasion and here why.

First, Castro was aware that an invasion was coming. He was alerted to the attack before troops left Guatemala. Castro put his reserves on alert and had regulars military watching the beaches. There were a couple hundred troops waiting for the invaders when they arrive. Second, the invasion force was much too small, only 1400 troops against Castro's 3,000. Had fighting lasted 3 days, Castro would have been able call reserves of about 5,000 troops So even if Kennedy called a second air strike, it would not saved the invasion. The US would have had to send in the Marines. And although Russia might not be willing to fight a war with the US over Cuba, they would certainly be supporting the Cubans.

Kennedy did the right thing in stopping the ill-fated invasion that would required extensive US involvement. His mistake was approving the invasion.

Last edited:

It was not the blockage that got the Russia missiles out of Cuba. It was the U.S. agreeing to Khrushchev’s offer to remove the Cuban missiles in exchange for a U.S. promising not to invade Cuba. Kennedy also secretly agreed to the remove of U.S. missiles from Turkey.

Forum List

Back