Protective Edge Really About Gaza's Natural Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
In 2000 British Gas (BG) discovered about $4 billion worth of natural gas reserves off the coast of Gaza. Wildly optimistic assessments have claimed the amount of gas in Palestine could make that nation as rich as Kuwait.

"In due reaction, since 2000, Israel has strengthened its maritime blockade on Gaza, denying Palestine basic rights over its territorial waters, driving away Palestinian fishing boats, and contaminating the waters so heavily from its naval attacks that the fishing industry essentially collapsed.

"'On its coastal littoral,' reported Peter Beaumont from Gaza several years ago, 'Gaza’s limitations are marked by a different fence where the bars are Israeli gunboats with their huge wakes, scurrying beyond the Palestinian fishing boats and preventing them from going outside a zone imposed by the warships.'

"It is discernible that this is directly due to Israel’s appetite for Palestinian gas.

In recent years, Israel’s energy crisis has deepened..."

Is Israel?s Operation Protective Edge Really About Natural Gas? » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

No. A crap rag that once again delivers crap.
Since we're talking about Israeli corruption, "crap" would be a hard subject to avoid:

"After the election of Hamas in 2006, Israel began negotiating with BG since, according to the former chief of staff of the IDF Moshe Ya’alon, the previously negotiated investment meant that a portion of the revenue could fall into the hands of Hamas and ‘threaten’ Israel.

"In other words, Israel wanted the gas, but they did not want part of the revenue to go to Hamas.

"Their solution, therefore, was to get rid of Hamas.

"More accurately, it is safe to affirm that Israel both desires a financially and militarily weaker opposition as well as a more subservient entity that may agree to willingly hand over its natural gas to Israeli profiteers."

Can you refute any of the content?

Is Israel?s Operation Protective Edge Really About Natural Gas? » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

You were done here:
While many articles have debunked the myth that Israel is acting out of “self-defense,” very few have attempted to establish why Israel is continuing its assault on Palestine through Operation Protective Edge, aside from the supposition that Zionists have a fanatic penchant for drawing Palestinian blood.

You were done here:
While many articles have debunked the myth that Israel is acting out of “self-defense,” very few have attempted to establish why Israel is continuing its assault on Palestine through Operation Protective Edge, aside from the supposition that Zionists have a fanatic penchant for drawing Palestinian blood.
You never manage to get started.

"In recent years, Israel’s energy crisis has deepened, as marked by a letter by two Israeli scientists. 'We believe Israel should increase its [domestic] use of natural gas by 2020 and should not export gas,' the letter reads. 'The Natural Gas Authority’s estimates are lacking. There’s a gap of 100 to 150 billion cubic meters between the demand projections that were presented to the committee and the most recent projections. The gas reserves are likely to last even less than 40 years!'

"As the need for energy has grown in Israel, so have their ruthless attempts to seek it."

No articles have debunked the myth, hon. That was your starting point. Further, the author is a Palestinian activist/student. It's a shit mag.

Gaza: Israel's $4 billion gas grab - The Ecologist

Never mind the 'war on terror' rhetoric, writes Nafeez Ahmed. The purpose of Israel's escalating assault on Gaza is to control the Territory's 1.4 trillion cubic feet of gas - and so keep Palestine poor and weak, gain massive export revenues, and avert its own domestic energy crisis.

I read quite a few industry journals, and there are plenty of articles (some technical) about Israel's vast offshore natural gas reserves. Yet nary a peep about Palestinian natural gas.

This could offer one explanation:

Natural Gas in the Palestinian Authority: The Potential of the Gaza Marine Offshore Field - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy

Although in strict legal terms its status is ambiguous, a twenty-five-year exploration license for the marine area off the Gaza Strip was awarded by the Palestinian Authority in 1999. The Gaza Marine field was discovered the following the year, though its natural gas has yet to be exploited.

And still more in-depth discussion via the U.S. EIA:

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

The offshore Gaza territory may hold additional energy resources, but uncertainty around maritime delineation between Israel, Gaza, and Egypt could limit additional exploration. It appears that Israel's Noa natural gas field is part of a larger structure that crosses into the Gaza offshore area, but confirmation requires further study.

You were done here:

"In recent years, Israel’s energy crisis has deepened, as marked by a letter by two Israeli scientists. 'We believe Israel should increase its [domestic] use of natural gas by 2020 and should not export gas,' the letter reads. 'The Natural Gas Authority’s estimates are lacking. There’s a gap of 100 to 150 billion cubic meters between the demand projections that were presented to the committee and the most recent projections. The gas reserves are likely to last even less than 40 years!'

"As the need for energy has grown in Israel, so have their ruthless attempts to seek it."

This reminds me of an article that I read just today. I knew I should have hung onto it, but I chucked it as these magazines pile up quickly LOL.

From what I recall, Israel does intend to eventually export natural gas once they can assure adequate domestic short-term supplies as well as long-term reserves for domestic consumption. Once it's determined that these two goals can be met, export quotas will be calculated.

You were done here:

This reminds me of an article that I read just today. I knew I should have hung onto it, but I chucked it as these magazines pile up quickly LOL.

From what I recall, Israel does intend to eventually export natural gas once they can assure adequate domestic short-term supplies as well as long-term reserves for domestic consumption. Once it's determined that these two goals can be met, export quotas will be calculated.
As I recall Israel has recently discovered massive quantities of oil and natural gas, although some of it may extend beyond its land and maritime borders. There were several threads dealing with this on the IP Forum; Rocco has all the details.

Getting back to my post #7 - I offer a rather radical view, a moderately political view, and a pragmatic informational view from the EIA.

I like the EIA for their statistical analyses with a caveat toward political realities.

Hamas isn't interested in commerce. Or Nat Gas exploration. And NOBODY wants Gaza. Not Egypt, Not Israel. Not even the Palestinians in the West Bank if they have deal with Hamas.

Big war will be WITHIN the Palestinian Authority once SOMEBODY WESTERN expresses an interest in drilling there. Then the Palis will be killing each other over the revenues..

The leftists claimed we went to Afghan for oil. And that we went to Iraq for oil. Even tried to assert that we were bombing Yugo for oil pipelines. That must be why they are constantly against drilling. They think you get oil from SHOOTING PEOPLE !!!

No oil --- No shooting.. It's a fucking TWO-FER !!!! :lmao:

In 2000 British Gas (BG) discovered about $4 billion worth of natural gas reserves off the coast of Gaza. Wildly optimistic assessments have claimed the amount of gas in Palestine could make that nation as rich as Kuwait.

"In due reaction, since 2000, Israel has strengthened its maritime blockade on Gaza, denying Palestine basic rights over its territorial waters, driving away Palestinian fishing boats, and contaminating the waters so heavily from its naval attacks that the fishing industry essentially collapsed.

"'On its coastal littoral,' reported Peter Beaumont from Gaza several years ago, 'Gaza’s limitations are marked by a different fence where the bars are Israeli gunboats with their huge wakes, scurrying beyond the Palestinian fishing boats and preventing them from going outside a zone imposed by the warships.'

"It is discernible that this is directly due to Israel’s appetite for Palestinian gas.

In recent years, Israel’s energy crisis has deepened..."

:lol::lol::lol: "As rich as Kuwait!" Dude, what the fuck bullshit propaganda are you reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back