Progressivism fails the people and the planet once again

Sounds more like capitalism to me. What’s the problem?
Wait...the government making a decision that ends with waste of the tax payers money sounds like "capitalism" to you? No, seriously? :eusa_doh:
You know that I was speaking to the invention and technology?
No, I really didn’t. Why would you be when the article was about the city and what they were doing? There was nothing about the company that created the product, R&D behind it, the idea behind it, etc. Absolutely nothing.

This is the type of extreme absurdity that could only come from the left. The company themselves admits that the product only results in a 10° to 15° cooler surface temperature. And statistics show that the pavement will reach temperatures of 150°. So at best, you’re only going to reduce pavement temperatures to 135° (still scorching) at a staggering cost of $40,000 per mile.
Dark-colored or black asphalt absorbs between 80% and 95% of the sun's rays, heating up LA's streets up to 150 degrees F. The light-coated streets, on the other hand, reflect much more of the sun's rays and are an average of 10 to 15 degrees F cooler than regular asphalt streets.

While the coatings last for seven years, they are expensive, costing about $40,000 per mile.
Now, pavement that never sees direct sun due to shade provided by trees is considerably cooler than 10° - 15°. Trees provide that shade at a cost less than $40,000 per mile and they last exponentially longer than 7 years. Plus, they have the added ecological benefit of giving off oxygen and providing shelter for wildlife. Finally, when their “life” is over, they can be used for heating or paper.

Los Angeles is spending $40,000 per mile to paint streets white — and it could have a surprising ripple effect on the city

Breaking: Manufacturing and applying white coatings found to be toxic and cause global warming.

This is the type of extreme absurdity that could only come from the left. The company themselves admits that the product only results in a 10° to 15° cooler surface temperature. And statistics show that the pavement will reach temperatures of 150°. So at best, you’re only going to reduce pavement temperatures to 135° (still scorching) at a staggering cost of $40,000 per mile.
Now, pavement that never sees direct sun due to shade provided by trees is considerably cooler than 10° - 15°. Trees provide that shade at a cost less than $40,000 per mile and they last exponentially longer than 7 years. Plus, they have the added ecological benefit of giving off oxygen and providing shelter for wildlife. Finally, when their “life” is over, they can be used for heating or paper.

Los Angeles is spending $40,000 per mile to paint streets white — and it could have a surprising ripple effect on the city

Give it two weeks, they'll be screaming racism.
Nice one... haha

Unfortunately California has a bunch of idiots, L.A. evidently is competing with S.F. as to which city has more.
Those idiots have been a part of two of America’s, and the worlds, greatest and most prosperous cities.

True, but those idiots apparently haven't contributed their fair share. Doesn't L.A. have a huge homeless problem, with S.F. probably not too far behind, doesn't the State have a huge number of homeless and a sizable poverty problem. But what the heck, maybe those idiots feel white roads is just what the homeless people need.
Yes both cities have homeless problems. I believe most if not all cities have homeless problems and let’s be honest, if you’re gonna live on the streets your gonna want to be in Cali where there is virtually no winter.

Still doesn’t take away from the massive successes and progress that has blossomed out of both those cities.

Still doesn’t take away from the massive successes and progress that has blossomed out of both those cities.
I might give you San Francisco...but Los Angeles? Really? What “success” has ever “blossomed” out of Los Angeles? Crips? Bloods? Crack? Rodney King riots? Hell, their police department was one of the most corrupt in U.S. history. I can’t think of a single positive thing that ever came out of Los Angeles.

It may or or may not but don’t you think it’s worth a try?
No. Not at all. All data (from the product claim to the cost to the longevity) indicates this is a monumental waste. For the sake of the tax payers of L.A., I hope I’m wrong. But all information right now says that this is incredible stupidity.

If nothing else, don’t you think that $40,000 per mile every 7 years is excessive?
Well i’d need more information. I got a quote to put a top coat and pot hole repair for the 150 yards of road that I live on and it was about $20,000. So I’d ask what the cost would be to pave a square mile. I imagine it’s a ton. To put a top coat for $40k that is supposed to have positive effects on the surrounding buildings doesn’t seem like it’s breaking the bank. This is the first I’ve heard of it so I really don’t know the details. I couldn’t say whether I’m for or against it without digging in more

I might give you San Francisco...but Los Angeles? Really? What “success” has ever “blossomed” out of Los Angeles? Crips? Bloods? Crack? Rodney King riots? Hell, their police department was one of the most corrupt in U.S. history. I can’t think of a single positive thing that ever came out of Los Angeles.
As much as you may hate the “Hollywood elite” they are responsible for some of the greatest artistic, visual, graphical, and musical compositions that our world has seen. It’s a hub for artist of all types. Actors, musicians, designers, and engineers... yes there is a lot of crap that comes out of that city but there is also some truly amazing things that we are all lucky to bare witness of.

As much as you may hate the “Hollywood elite” they are responsible for some of the greatest artistic, visual, graphical, and musical compositions that our world has seen. It’s a hub for artist of all types. Actors, musicians, designers, and engineers... yes there is a lot of crap that comes out of that city but there is also some truly amazing things that we are all lucky to bare witness of.
Ok - I’ll grant you movies. They’ve had a monumental impact on the fabric of America. But I think you’re way off on the rest.

Music? No. Artists? No. Engineers? No. At least, not on any grand scale. Maybe one or two here or there but not enough to credit Los Angeles.

Dark-colored or black asphalt absorbs between 80% and 95% of the sun's rays, heating up LA's streets up to 150 degrees F. The light-coated streets, on the other hand, reflect much more of the sun's rays and are an average of 10 to 15 degrees F cooler than regular asphalt streets.

While the coatings last for seven years, they are expensive, costing about $40,000 per mile.

Sounds more like capitalism to me. What’s the problem?
Yeah, right, because we all know capitalism is where the government buys stuff that nobody wants.

To put a top coat for $40k that is supposed to have positive effects on the surrounding buildings doesn’t seem like it’s breaking the bank.
That’s $40,000 per mile and it’s only good for 7 years. I don’t think it takes a whole lot of research to realize that trees would be an exponentially better option. Especially since they have a lot of other upside as well.

Ok - I’ll grant you movies. They’ve had a monumental impact on the fabric of America. But I think you’re way off on the rest.

Music? No. Artists? No. Engineers? No. At least, not on any grand scale. Maybe one or two here or there but not enough to credit Los Angeles.
Pick any year and look at the top 20 musicians/bands. I’d bet you that Los Angeles is the dominant location for where most either live or recorded their albums. Almost every action sports company is based in Southern California. LA is a hub for fashion designers, graphic artists, and comedians.... look up Jacobs Emgineering, one of the largest firms in the world. I don’t even know why we are arguing about this.... here’s a list companies that were founded in LA. I don’t think there is more to say

Companies Founded in Los Angeles

To put a top coat for $40k that is supposed to have positive effects on the surrounding buildings doesn’t seem like it’s breaking the bank.
That’s $40,000 per mile and it’s only good for 7 years. I don’t think it takes a whole lot of research to realize that trees would be an exponentially better option. Especially since they have a lot of other upside as well.
Trees are a great idea, plant them! Also if there is a coating or new kind of gravel that is less heat absorbant and it has a positive impact on surrounding businesses then let’s find it. Guess what, if successful then more streets cities will use it, and then guess what happens to the price? It goes down... capitalism.

Pick any year and look at the top 20 musicians/bands. I’d bet you that Los Angeles is the dominant location for where most either live or recorded their albums. Almost every action sports company is based in Southern California. LA is a hub for fashion designers, graphic artists, and comedians.... look up Jacobs Emgineering, one of the largest firms in the world. I don’t even know why we are arguing about this.... here’s a list companies that were founded in LA. I don’t think there is more to say

What does "having been founded" mean today? Nothing. Please explain why so many companies and people of means are fleeing California?

What does "having been founded" mean today? Nothing. Please explain why so many companies and people of means are fleeing California?
Fleeing is rather dramatic, don’t ya think? I’d say the biggest factor contributing to those leaving Cali is affordability. Taxes are high, it’s expensive to run a business and very expensive to buy a house

Give it two weeks, they'll be screaming racism.
Nice one... haha

Unfortunately California has a bunch of idiots, L.A. evidently is competing with S.F. as to which city has more.
Those idiots have been a part of two of America’s, and the worlds, greatest and most prosperous cities.

True, but those idiots apparently haven't contributed their fair share. Doesn't L.A. have a huge homeless problem, with S.F. probably not too far behind, doesn't the State have a huge number of homeless and a sizable poverty problem. But what the heck, maybe those idiots feel white roads is just what the homeless people need.
Yes both cities have homeless problems. I believe most if not all cities have homeless problems and let’s be honest, if you’re gonna live on the streets your gonna want to be in Cali where there is virtually no winter.

Great, so there have been successes in both of these cities. Can't imagine any success of any size is worth pissing away $40,000/mile over addressing the homeless...especially since democrats/liberals continue to claim they're all for helping the little guy.

Why do left wingers always half ass things? Dirt roads dumb asses. Your fake climate crap is addressed, you cut down on that evil oil you hate by not making asphalt and you’re closer to nature.

Why do left wingers always half ass things? Dirt roads dumb asses. Your fake climate crap is addressed, you cut down on that evil oil you hate by not making asphalt and you’re closer to nature.

There's also concrete. The cost of replacing asphalt with concrete would probably be much lower than painting the asphalt.

Nice one... haha

Great, so there have been successes in both of these cities. Can't imagine any success of any size is worth pissing away $40,000/mile over addressing the homeless...especially since democrats/liberals continue to claim they're all for helping the little guy.
I agree, they should focus on the homeless problem in LA. Do you think it should demand 100% of the budget?

I agree, they should focus on the homeless problem in LA. Do you think it should demand 100% of the budget?

100% of the budget? 100% of whatever they plan on spending to paint the road. An alternative is spend 50% on the homeless, 50% on fixing the damn roads.

Forum List

Back