Problem solving ability

TheGreenHornet

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2017
Anyone with much life experience (actually does not require all that much) understands that very few people are good at solving problems...especially complex problems.

Thus my question.....what exactly is it that enables some to have an exceptional ability to solve problems?

Recognizing that different problems require different abilities.....aka the skills needed to solve a math problem will most likely be different from those needed to solve a sociological problem....which does not mean that someone with an exceptional ability in math cannot solve a sociological problem aka the murder rate of young blacks by other blacks in Chicago.

A good story I read once was about a city in olden times under siege and threatened with extinction and none of the leaders of the city could figure out how to save themselves or the city but a lowly peasant put forth a plan that would save them and true to life the plan was taken by someone with power and influence and presented as his own and after delivering the plan the peasant was shunted back in with the common folk and given no credit whatsoever....so true to life.

Anyone with much life experience (actually does not require all that much) understands that very few people are good at solving problems...especially complex problems.

Thus my question.....what exactly is it that enables some to have an exceptional ability to solve problems?

Recognizing that different problems require different abilities.....aka the skills needed to solve a math problem will most likely be different from those needed to solve a sociological problem....which does not mean that someone with an exceptional ability in math cannot solve a sociological problem aka the murder rate of young blacks by other blacks in Chicago.

A good story I read once was about a city in olden times under siege and threatened with extinction and none of the leaders of the city could figure out how to save themselves or the city but a lowly peasant put forth a plan that would save them and true to life the plan was taken by someone with power and influence and presented as his own and after delivering the plan the peasant was shunted back in with the common folk and given no credit whatsoever....so true to life.
I have found the first thing is to properly identify the problem and then never lie to yourself while coming up with a solution,,,

I have found the first thing is to properly identify the problem and then never lie to yourself while coming up with a solution,,,
1607563631273.png

Where's the fun in that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

• Banned

Yes, for sure....identifying the problem correctly--- is probably the first step and as simple as it sounds....it is not in many if not most cases.....most especially in sociological or political situations.

Yes, for sure....identifying the problem correctly--- is probably the first step and as simple as it sounds....it is not in many if not most cases.....most especially in sociological or political situations.
I find those to be the easiest to ID,,,

Working math is not the same thing, that merely takes mathematical training in knowing the order of steps to follow to the numerical solution. True problem-solving ability is an analytical skill involving abstract reasoning in being able to identify the problem as a series of causes and effects from all sides leading to the shortest path to the solution.

You need to start with a solid foundation of common sense (which isn't so common these days...) and logic.

Absolutely.....as in America has been dumbed down and is getting dumber every day.

I blame the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality. For a couple of generations now, children have not really had to face and deal with adversity and losing the way generations before them did. The result has been the afore mentioned lack of common sense, a feeling of entitlement, and the inability to solve their own problems.

Last edited:

When i entered the Air Force and started working on F-15's the technical material given enabled the airman to solve most problems. If this is what is wrong, then go here. Did that fix the problem (No) go to this step or (YES) , no further action. Over time, you just naturally could see a problem and work through it, because of your training. Skills to problem solve takes time and lots of critical thinking, and from what i have seen of the progressive slaves, just thinking hurts them, which is why they need people like Mika to tell them what to think..

---

TheGreenHornet said:

Great question and I've already picked up a few tips from other posters on this thread. Plus, it's nice taking a few minutes away from the never dull political adventures of the USMB!

I try to look at the big picture view first, running through all options/outcomes, before figuring out a course of action. Regardless of details, I don't write out a detailed plan but review it frequently in my head. Some might say (and a few have said): needs better attention to detail, I prefer saying: enjoys considering and reviewing all options! Now the funny thing is, I make decisions relatively quickly...so my track record does contain errors;)

I'm not the kind who follows a precise plan, am more likely to work extra hard without preparing to do so, and never makes lists unless absolutely required. Not exactly your plan in advance type here lol

Last edited:
hjmick nailed it.

It starts with common sense and I will add, an ability to seek out and comprehend the big picture (system) and then break it down into the systems many components and comprehend how those components work and interact with all the other components (parts/ factors involved).

Do it over enough years and it becomes almost 2nd nature. Patterns start to emerge, etc.

You need to start with a solid foundation of common sense (which isn't so common these days...) and logic.

Absolutely.....as in America has been dumbed down and is getting dumber every day.

I blame the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality. For a couple of generations now, children have not really had to face and deal with adversity and losing the way generations before them did. The result has been the afore mentioned lack of common sense, a feeling of entitlement, and the inability to solve their own problems.
Just reading a biography of Bobby Kennedy - His brother Joe high school grades were not up to par .The school told him he would have to do his senior year all over again if he wanted to graduate. It was a time when public schools had standards and stuck to them no matter who your parents where.

Just reading a biography of Bobby Kennedy - His brother Joe high school grades were not up to par .The school told him he would have to do his senior year all over again if he wanted to graduate. It was a time when public schools had standards and stuck to them no matter who your parents where.

Our public schools were sabotaged by political correctness to the point where they are now little more than a governmental indoctrination system for American youth.

Forum List

Back