Pro-choicers: What would you say if you met an abortion survivor?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
People who are slated to die in abortions, sometimes end up living and being born and growing up. Obviously, this is pretty rare, like when a hanging rope breaks, or an electric chair shorts out. But it happens, and there is at least one website founded by them:

1653149622604.png

One abortion survivor is Shelley Thornton, formerly known as "Baby Roe," the biological daughter of "Jane Roe," the nominal litigant in the case of Roe v. Wade. "Roe" was purportedly denied the chance to abort Shelley by the now unconstitutional Texas law restricting abortions. So, Shelley is more a political abortion survivor than a survivor of a botched abortion.

She seems to be living a good, if unremarkable life. She's happy, but she isn't saving the world, so it isn't that kind of story. She's just an ordinary woman living her part of the American dream. She is doing that because the Texas law stopped her from being killed in the womb.

What would you say to her, if you met her?

I mean, what could you say? "Uh . . . I still wish you were dead, though." would have to be your only honest response, would it not? Or am I missing something?

I'm pro-life but I know what many say to those who escaped our bombing of their countries.

I'm pro-life but I know what many say to those who escaped our bombing of their countries.
That's an interesting point.

Given that we had made the decision to fight the Japanese until they surrendered, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombing no doubt saved more lives than they took. I'd say more Japanese would have died in a suicidal defense of the mainland.

But, if I met a survivor of one of those bombings, I would not be hypocritical to say that I am happy that they survived. The bombings ended the war, and one more or fewer survivor wouldn't change that.

But each survived abortion is personal to all involved.

A pro-choicer meeting an abortion survivor would have to express disappointment at the survival. "Your birthing person wanted to abort you and had a right to do so. Because you survived, she they were denied that right. They were forced to bear the burden of carrying you to birth and putting you up for adoption. Your life, however you have have enjoyed it, is not worth putting that burden on a birthing person."

If I'm wrong, please chime in pro-choicers! (but, please: not by just saying "you're wrong").

That's an interesting point.

Given that we had made the decision to fight the Japanese until they surrendered, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombing no doubt saved more lives than they took. I'd say more Japanese would have died in a suicidal defense of the mainland.

But, if I met a survivor of one of those bombings, I would not be hypocritical to say that I am happy that they survived.

Do you have any examples where anyone told one of these people that they wish they had died? If not you are simply trying to evade my point.

I wonder how pro-choice advocates would react if they actually saw the horrific late-term abortion procedure they seem to advocate. Most of the radicals in the pro-choice world are probably political activists who couldn't care less about the mental and physical health of the mother not to mention the infant who never had a chance at life.

Do you have any examples where anyone told one of these people that they wish they had died? If not you are simply trying to evade my point.
No, I don't have any examples. I'm asking a hypothetical question. My guess is that if you met an abortion survivor, you would keep your pro-choice opinion to yourself, to not seem like a huge @$$hole.

I don't know what point you think I'm trying to evade.

What would you, pknopp, say if you (hypothetically) met an abortion survivor?

No, I don't have any examples. I'm asking a hypothetical question. My guess is that if you met an abortion survivor, you would keep your pro-choice opinion to yourself,

Did you even actually read my first post? Or you still trying to evade?

Did you even actually read my first post? Or you still trying to evade?
Yes, I read it and gave it a longer response than the post I responded to. Post #4 on this thread.

I'm sure you have something in mind that you think I'm evading, but I have no idea what it is.

Yes, I read it and gave it a longer response than the post I responded to. Post #4 on this thread.

I'm sure you have something in mind that you think I'm evading, but I have no idea what it is.

You are evading where I said I was pro-life. I'm actually pro-life though, not pro-political expediency. Those who were lucky enough to have evaded our attempts to kill them are every bit as worthy of life as is any human life.

You are evading where I said I was pro-life. I'm actually pro-life though, not pro-political expediency. Those who were lucky enough to have evaded our attempts to kill them are every bit as worthy of life as is any human life.
If you're pro-life, I don't know what your beef is. Would you not simply say, "I'm glad you were not aborted, and I wish no one would be," if you are pro-life?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not pro-political expediency," or "actually pro-life" as opposed to simply "pro-life."

Again, Compeer, the point you are making eludes me. Please explain it as if I am unable to read your mind.

If you're pro-life, I don't know what your beef is. Would you not simply say, "I'm glad you were not aborted, and I wish no one would be," if you are pro-life?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not pro-political expediency," or "actually pro-life" as opposed to simply "pro-life."

Again, Compeer, the point you are making eludes me. Please explain it as if I am unable to read your mind.

Yes you know what I mean.

Yes you know what I mean.
No, I actually do not.
In every so called pro-life thread I catch, I will note that most who pretend to be pro-life are not.
Is it the phrase "pro-life" coming from people who might support bombing other countries, or support the death penalty, or some other issue that you would disagree with them on, that upsets you?

I could say the same about "pro-choice," since people who support abortion rights do not support any choice an unborn child would make after not being aborted. "Pro-choice," and "pro-life" are terms used because pro-choice people do not want to be called "pro-abortion," which is what they are. I compromise and call them "pro-choice" to avoid an argument being reduced to whining about words.

Is that really the point you were making?

People who are slated to die in abortions, sometimes end up living and being born and growing up. Obviously, this is pretty rare, like when a hanging rope breaks, or an electric chair shorts out. But it happens, and there is at least one website founded by them:

View attachment 647724

One abortion survivor is Shelley Thornton, formerly known as "Baby Roe," the biological daughter of "Jane Roe," the nominal litigant in the case of Roe v. Wade. "Roe" was purportedly denied the chance to abort Shelley by the now unconstitutional Texas law restricting abortions. So, Shelley is more a political abortion survivor than a survivor of a botched abortion.

She seems to be living a good, if unremarkable life. She's happy, but she isn't saving the world, so it isn't that kind of story. She's just an ordinary woman living her part of the American dream. She is doing that because the Texas law stopped her from being killed in the womb.

What would you say to her, if you met her?

I mean, what could you say? "Uh . . . I still wish you were dead, though." would have to be your only honest response, would it not? Or am I missing something?
What would I say if I met an abortion survivor? I'd ask how their mother's life turned out.

Forum List

Back