Priority for Clinton's VP pick

ogibillm

Gold Member
Feb 6, 2011
It occurs to me that far and away this will be an election in which only massive missteps by Clinton can cause her to lose.

Demographics are on her side. The Republican candidate is flawed and weak, unable to keep his foot out of his mouth long enough for those that have voiced support for him to catch a breath between apologies for him and condemnation of his words.

And let's face it, nobody seriously thinks Trump will come out of any debate looking good.

So while normally I would think that a candidate would pick a running mate that shores up a weakness or can turn a swing state.

Clinton might do that - but I don't think she has to. I think she'll have the luxury at looking down the ballot and choosing a running mate that helps other candidates more than her - someone that might help swing a senate seat, or help get the vote out to capture more House seats. In other words a candidate that doesn't make her a better candidate but will help make governing easier through a more Democratic legislature.

Thoughts or ideas on who that might be?

I think she'll have the luxury at looking down the ballot and choosing a running mate that helps other candidates more than her

:thewave:
I don't get it.

Let me give an admittedly poor example.

Missouri governor Jay Nixon is term limited out. Missouri is something of a battlegrounx state, although Obama won offfice twice without it. So adding Nixon to the ticket might turn turn Missouri, but it's not necessary. But there is a tightening senate race here. Flipping that senate seat from republican hands, and presumably a house seat or two might be more important than the meager electoral swing

Someone willing to fall on their sword

th

She should pick a running mate who will energize the liberals/Democrats who will never be energized by Hillary herself.
she could, but I'm not sure she'll have to.

Anti-Trump is pretty energizing.
and if her pick is too far left leanimg, like say warren, she might hurt herself more in battleground states than she would ever help herself shoring up the base

She should pick a running mate who will energize the liberals/Democrats who will never be energized by Hillary herself.
she could, but I'm not sure she'll have to.

Anti-Trump is pretty energizing.
and if her pick is too far left leanimg, like say warren, she might hurt herself more in battleground states than she would ever help herself shoring up the base

Then pick someone safe like Martin O'Malley. Or a labor guy like Sherrod Brown.

I agree. I keep seeing Tim Kaine's name being thrown around and I just think that would be a big mistake. Sure, probably help in Virginia but that's limiting and I'm not so sure VP candidates do much in their home state anyway.

She needs to shore up liberals and progressives but not somebody who would repel whatever the hell is left of the middle.

I was for Elizabeth Warren, however I think she's better for the senate.

My top two choices are Amy Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown. Though Brown would leave a senate seat open with a Republican Governor.

If the squishy middle didn't matter at all then I'd say Al Franken but that is going to cause too much distraction.

First, do no harm. You're in the lead, don't do anything risky. Don't get greedy.
solid point. and i dont think she would choose someone that offered her no advantage.

i just think more weight might be given to how that choice shapes down-ballot elections than if this looked like it wasn't going to be an electoral landslide.

I think Clinton will pick a Woman, Amy Klobaucer, "spelling" of Minnesota or Liz Warren?? I doubt she will choose a white male, since they are going overwhelmingly for Trump anyways..

Whoever it is they should be considerably younger than Clinton who will be 70 in 2017..

I agree. I keep seeing Tim Kaine's name being thrown around and I just think that would be a big mistake. Sure, probably help in Virginia but that's limiting and I'm not so sure VP candidates do much in their home state anyway.

She needs to shore up liberals and progressives but not somebody who would repel whatever the hell is left of the middle.

I was for Elizabeth Warren, however I think she's better for the senate.

My top two choices are Amy Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown. Though Brown would leave a senate seat open with a Republican Governor.

If the squishy middle didn't matter at all then I'd say Al Franken but that is going to cause too much distraction.
Franken is really interesting. He might strike that balance between energizing the base and not turning off the middle

Her safest bet would be Joe Biden. It's constitutionally permitted, and would boost her popularity among Dems.

I think your on the right track with Biden; he seems to handle the Vice Presidency pretty well and with nothing that would legally bar him from the office, he fits in well...and who knows, the Republicans will be after her at every turn...Biden will slide right into the Oval Office.

It occurs to me that far and away this will be an election in which only massive missteps by Clinton can cause her to lose.

Demographics are on her side. The Republican candidate is flawed and weak, unable to keep his foot out of his mouth long enough for those that have voiced support for him to catch a breath between apologies for him and condemnation of his words.

And let's face it, nobody seriously thinks Trump will come out of any debate looking good.

So while normally I would think that a candidate would pick a running mate that shores up a weakness or can turn a swing state.

Clinton might do that - but I don't think she has to. I think she'll have the luxury at looking down the ballot and choosing a running mate that helps other candidates more than her - someone that might help swing a senate seat, or help get the vote out to capture more House seats. In other words a candidate that doesn't make her a better candidate but will help make governing easier through a more Democratic legislature.

Thoughts or ideas on who that might be?

You seem to take a very enlightening approach...good to see! I said, Joe Biden because he looks Vice Presidential and he too tends to shoot from the hip so to speak; haven't given much thought to Sherrod Brown because I don't know too much about his record...I do know he's politically savvy though..Al Franken would be novel, he has a relatively short career in the Senate; but he seems sensible enough. Al Sharpton? I listened to him some time ago when he called for reinstituting the draft; I was not for that but I understood his point...fairness..He felt that African-Americans were drafted and tended to end-up in Vietnam more so than the White Draftees. He would have to get more into the Political Process for me to get an endorsement. He tended to be more of a skeptic rather than a Political Voice. Hey, look, I would have liked Colin Powell if he'd changed parties; his wife is totally against his running. Smart woman.

Forum List

Back