Presidential Scholars rank the greatest Presidents of all time

History will look at Trump as a grand experiment that failed

Politicians obviously don’t know what they are doing. What if we elected a businessman who will bring unique skills to the presidency?

What we ended up with is a man who was il-prepared for the office and personally unsuited

A disaster

What we ended up with is a man who was il-prepared for the office and personally unsuited

Much like his opponent.

good reason to stay home and wait for the apocalypse

The link seems to mention only James Buchanan. (?) Wonder where the rest of the list is.

It has him an #43 which, if they use the usual erroneous method of counting Grover Cleveland as two different people, would put him second from last.

EDIT: ah here we go -- just had to eliminate the "2" from the end of the URL and that takes you here, which links to the overall study here, but then you hit a paywall.

See, this is why walls are a bad idea.

I can see enough page to copy this:

>> This statistic ranks all U.S. Presidents from Washington to Trump using "Presidential Greatness" scores from the annual survey of current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association. In 2018, President Donald Trump, debuted on the list in last place with a Presidential Greatness score of 12. <<​

I have to question if it's fair to assess an ass who's still in office. We can't see the future so there's no reason Rump can't work to shave that 12 down to a three. Or even a negative number.
Which raises the question of the validity of such rankings by those who were adults while a given president was in office.

How many years should pass before we can realize an accurate, objective accounting of a president’s administration?

Truman is the best example of this.

Truman was extremely unpopular while in office – the February 1952 Gallup poll gave him a mere 22 percent approval rating.

Today Truman is considered among our greatest presidents, ranked number six in this current review.

Not surprisingly, Trump came in dead last

Not surprisingly, you'd pick a poll from MSN which predictably ranks Trump last because of an empty investigation their ilk started to hurt him in the first place with, a 15 year old video taken clandestinely caught Trump bragging to another guy about his prowess with women---- but without any proof that it wasn't just empty boasting, only to finish up with the fact that he is actually trying to enforced federal border law and things that Obama and others did the very same.

The Coup de Grace being that he's only half way through his first term! They can't even wait for him to FINISH his presidency to give him the cheap shot. Right.

Experts at WHAT? I usually don't fall for appeals to authority, myself.

From the Time Mag article:

>> Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness survey, conducted by University of Houston professor Brandon Rottinghaus and Boise State University professor Justin S. Vaughn, polled current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association and asked them to grade each president. <<​
Ah, so they polled the very subjective opinions of people and then ranked them according to popularity.

Have I ever mentioned that I reject appeals to popularity too?

No I don't think they mentioned "popularity" at all. If they had, Lincoln would have been nowhere near #1.

Pogo, honey, I realize you lack the intelligence necessary to understand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity, but asking people their very subjective opinions and then ranking the results is an expression of popularity by very design.

That's so cute how you pop up when the adults are talking but ... .no, it isn't.

You could rank, say, baseball players on their hitting and find a Ty Cobb or a Pete Rose floating on top like ice cubes. But that doesn't make them 'popular'. I'm afraid you're confusing academic analysis with your own butthurt about having made a ridiculously poor choice and then being embarrassed about it.

If I asked you members of the hive mind to rank the U.S. senators and then published the results based upon how you all ranked them, the results would not validate your collective opinion as FACT. It is simply reflective of your opinion.

Nobody claimed these are "facts". See the reference to "butthurt" above. See also "strawman argument".

Not surprisingly, Trump came in dead last

Not surprisingly, you'd pick a poll from MSN which predictably ranks Trump last because of an empty investigation their ilk started to hurt him in the first place with, a 15 year old video taken clandestinely caught Trump bragging to another guy about his prowess with women---- but without any proof that it wasn't just empty boasting, only to finish up with the fact that he is actually trying to enforced federal border law and things that Obama and others did the very same.

The Coup de Grace being that he's only half way through his first term! They can't even wait for him to FINISH his presidency to give him the cheap shot. Right.

Actually it's from the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association. Has nothing to do with "MSN" whatever that is, presumably one of the sources that reported it working under the assumption that readers can read.

Not surprisingly, Trump came in dead last with a score of 12

Experts rank the best U.S. presidents of all time

They based his rank at 12, after only 2 years in office?

Why do you waste time posting this bullshit?

Is this or is this not a political message board?

His rank was 44, not "12" . Way to read threads you trash without reading them.

Did you not read the OP?

Not surprisingly, Trump came in dead last with a score of 12 out of 100

That's not the OP I came in on, which says nothing about any "12" but in either case all you have to do is actually READ the source material. Isn't it.

Not only did I read that OP, I actually went to find more info and posted it. Among which is:

Ranking recent presidents
  • Donald Trump – 44th
  • Barack Obama – 8th
  • George W. Bush – 30th
  • Bill Clinton – 13th
  • George H.W. Bush – 17th
  • Ronald Reagan – 9th
Personally I think all of these numbers are too high. But with only 44 POTUSes that's as low as Rump can go, at least until another one comes in. If we survive that long.

Politicians obviously don’t know what they are doing. What if we elected a businessman who will bring unique skills to the presidency?

A disaster

Much like his opponent.

<sob>. But, but....What about Hillary?

No, Hillary would not have been the disaster that Trump turned out to be. Neither would Ted Cruz, John Kasich, Jen Bush or Marco Rubio

Trump was unique among the 2016 candidates. He lacks the intelligence, desire to learn, ability to build relationships, trustworthiness and integrity of the other candidates

History will not view Trump kindly

Experts at WHAT? I usually don't fall for appeals to authority, myself.

From the Time Mag article:

>> Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness survey, conducted by University of Houston professor Brandon Rottinghaus and Boise State University professor Justin S. Vaughn, polled current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association and asked them to grade each president. <<​
Ah, so they polled the very subjective opinions of people and then ranked them according to popularity.

Have I ever mentioned that I reject appeals to popularity too?

No I don't think they mentioned "popularity" at all. If they had, Lincoln would have been nowhere near #1.

Pogo, honey, I realize you lack the intelligence necessary to understand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity, but asking people their very subjective opinions and then ranking the results is an expression of popularity by very design.

That's so cute how you pop up when the adults are talking but ... .no, it isn't.

You could rank, say, baseball players on their hitting and find a Ty Cobb or a Pete Rose floating on top like ice cubes. But that doesn't make them 'popular'. I'm afraid you're confusing academic analysis with your own butthurt about having made a ridiculously poor choice and then being embarrassed about it.

If I asked you members of the hive mind to rank the U.S. senators and then published the results based upon how you all ranked them, the results would not validate your collective opinion as FACT. It is simply reflective of your opinion.

Nobody claimed these are "facts". See the reference to "butthurt" above. See also "strawman argument".

Yes, you have already made it clear you are incapable of understanding concepts. You don't really need to double down on it like you are doing.

A disaster

Much like his opponent.

No, Hillary would not have been the disaster that Trump turned out to be. Neither would Ted Cruz, John Kasich, Jen Bush or Marco Rubio

Trump was unique among the 2016 candidates. He lacks the intelligence, desire to learn, ability to build relationships, trustworthiness and integrity of the other candidates

But, but....What about Hillary?

wake up, jackass

there were 2 choices in the 2016 election.

Neither had any experience.

Hillary was NOT the most qualified candidate in decades.

and I firmly believe Hillary would have been every bit the fuckup Trump has been.

she also lacked trustworthiness and integrity.

keep sobbing 'what about Hillary'.

She was the worse candidate your side could make.

You've even stated you had to hold your nose to cast your vote for her.

America WAS SCREWED IN EITHER CASE.

wake up, jackass

My my, aren't we emotional. :itsok:

A disaster

Much like his opponent.

and I firmly believe Hillary would have been every bit the fuckup Trump has been.

Actually America was screwed by its own belief that "there were two choices in the 2016 election".
The operative word being "two".

A disaster

Much like his opponent.

wake up, jackass

Cut me a break......HIllary was the most qualified candidate since Bush 41
She had experiece working with Congress from both sides, she had 12 years experience in the White House, she had international experience as Secretary of State and had solid relationships with international leaders

Trump had none of it

Forum List

Back