Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Don't know what you mean, because I just looked it up and the experts say the US only have 10 years worth of domestic oil/gas.
I just looked up, "can I date a goat", and it says it may be the best date of my life? I guess they are right?

A Baby Goat Date might be the best date you ever go on - King 5
https://www.king5.com › television › programs › evening
May 1, 2019 — Does 2 hours of snuggling with adorable baby goats sound like the best date ever? Maple Valley's Puget Sound Goat Rescue has your back.

Electricity is only used to warm homes in hot climates because it costs about twice what oil or gas does.

Electric vehicles need to double their weight from the additional batteries, they are very slow and inefficient to charge, batteries very expensive, and batteries do not have much capacity or longevity.
Fertilizers need the chemicals from fossil fuels, like nitrates and phosphorous.

Currently coal is the main source of electrical power, but can be converted to oil or gas.
Since fossil fuels come from decomposed plants containing phosphorous, nitrates, potassium, etc., fossil fuels are loaded with what fertilizers need.

{...

Nitrogen fertilizer component

Ammonia is one nitrogen fertilizer component that can be synthesized from in-expensive raw materials. Since nitrogen makes up a significant portion of the earth's atmosphere, a process was developed to produce ammonia from air. In this process,
natural gas and steam are pumped into a large vessel. Next, air is pumped into the system, and oxygen is removed by the burning of natural gas and steam. This leaves primarily nitrogen, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is removed and ammonia is produced by introducing an electric current into the system.
...}
Read more: How fertilizer is made - material, production process, making, history, used, components, composition, product

Electric vehicles need to double their weight from the additional batteries, they are very slow and inefficient to charge,

You said it didn't work. Were you lying? Or stupid?

Fertilizers need the chemicals from fossil fuels, like nitrates and phosphorous.

Moron. Nitrate and phosphorus fertilizers aren't made with fossil fuel ingredients.

Since fossil fuels come from decomposed plants containing phosphorous, nitrates, potassium, etc., fossil fuels are loaded with what fertilizers need.

You're full of shit.

The carbon dioxide is removed and ammonia is produced by introducing an electric current into the system.

So you were lying when you said fertilizers couldn't be made with electricity? Or stupid?

There are many ways besides batteries.
1. Gravity.
2. Convert solar electric to hydrogen

Those are just 2 ways

Also, I'm for INDIVIDUAL energy independence. Solar can provide that

View attachment 541121
Nuclear is better.

Small reactors that don't need to run under high pressure that can be built in a factory and shipped to the site

Molten salt reactors can use the waste from old obsolete light water reactors for fuel, can be buried underground for security and can't melt down because they are self limiting.

They are simple plug and play units because they put out power 24/7/365 the way our grid was designed to work.

Electricity can be generated locally reducing transmission costs and loss and we will be able to build in redundancy to the power supply

Nuclear is better.

Small reactors that don't need to run under high pressure that can be built in a factory and shipped to the site

Molten salt reactors can use the waste from old obsolete light water reactors for fuel, can be buried underground for security and can't melt down because they are self limiting.

They are simple plug and play units because they put out power 24/7/365 the way our grid was designed to work.

Electricity can be generated locally reducing transmission costs and loss and we will be able to build in redundancy to the power supply
LOL When I was a child, and the nuclear reactors were just in the design stage, they said they would be failsafe, and produce electricity so cheaply they wouldn't need to meter it. So today I am again hearing all that nonsense concerning reactors that are only theoretical. In the meantime, solar and wind are providing electricity at a lower cost than any fossil fuels, and at a far less cost than nuclear.

In the meantime, solar and wind are providing electricity at a lower cost than any fossil fuels, and at a far less cost than nuclear.

Obviously.
That's why Germany pays the highest rates in the world.
Lots of cheap wind and solar, with no expensive nuclear.

DURR

LOL There are many places that you could put the 100 X 100 mile square in Nevada that would power the whole of the US, and no one would even notice. Nevada has some huge empty spaces. Have you ever driven the back roads of Nevada?
You keep forgetting that installed capacity isn't actual output.

even in AZ a solar panel will only produce 23% of its rated capacity

so you would actually need 4.3 times as many solar panels to achieve output that equals rated capacity

LOL When I was a child, and the nuclear reactors were just in the design stage, they said they would be failsafe, and produce electricity so cheaply they wouldn't need to meter it. So today I am again hearing all that nonsense concerning reactors that are only theoretical. In the meantime, solar and wind are providing electricity at a lower cost than any fossil fuels, and at a far less cost than nuclear.

Nuclear still is one of the safest forms of power.

And liquid fuel reactors are even safer than the old obsolete light water reactors.

You GET energy from green energy.

Obviously. More expensive, less reliable energy.

And if they shut down any coal or nuclear power plants, it is because they don't need the electricity from them any more.

If they didn't need the electricity from the nuclear plants, why did they need more windmills and solar, after they shut down the nuclear plants?

Listening to deniers is like listening to farts and burps. That truth aside, solar panels are reliable enough. They even work on cloudy days. Though probably not as well. 4% of the sun's light reaches the ground as ultraviolet light. 43% is visible light. Which solar panels use the most. 53% of the sun's energy is infrared. Solar panels can utilize around half of that infrared light. I think you mentioned earlier about solar panels getting hot. Being able to turn nearly half that heat into electricity, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I also stated before that we would still need a power grid. To transfer electricity from areas where it isn't cloudy to areas where it is.

Next, don't put the cart before the horse. I'm sure anybody would have waited until they started getting energy from solar or wind before they shut down and coal or nuke plants.

Good news Environmental Wackos!!!!

The moon is going to have a wobble that will produce higher than normal tides for a while. It is normal and happens periodically.

Now you stupid Moon Bats can claim that the flooding because of the high tides are a direct result of higher sea levels caused by man made global warming.

It will be a lie but that won't stop you fuckers from telling the lie. You are never honest about anything.

Have fun!

"High tides get higher, and low tides get lower. Global sea-level rise pushes high tides in only one direction – higher. So half of the 18.6-year lunar cycle counteracts the effect of sea-level rise on high tides, and the other half increases the effect," NASA explains.

Scientists say there’s nothing new or dangerous about the wobble. In fact, the first report of a moon wobble dates back to 1728.

"What’s new is how one of the wobble’s effects on the Moon’s gravitational pull – the main cause of Earth’s tides – will combine with rising sea levels resulting from the planet’s warming," NASA says.

According to a new study by the NASA Sea Level Change Science Team from the University of Hawaii, every coast in the United States will see an increase in high tides because of a "wobble" in the moon's orbit. The team goes on to say that those high tides will kick off a "a decade of dramatic increases in flood numbers" in the 2030s.

Your stupidity is impressive. And if anybody is paying you to say stupid things on the topic, they are getting their money's worth. The moon can wobble all it wants. It isn't going to effect tides. Only changes in its orbit could do that. Next, I will show you a graph that I showed before. One of many. At which point did any "moon wobble" kick in.

CO2  graph revisited.gif

Going solar or wind is too unreliable.
If they use batteries for lows, they are just guessing they have enough, and likely won't, because batteries will wear out.

Wind, maybe. Solar, never. The sun rises each day. Like clockwork. And the only thing you may need batteries for is cars. For anything else, they are other ways to store energy. Also, nobody is likely to be stupid enough to get only enough solar energy as they need. It is like what some survivalists on Naked and Afraid say they are taught when it comes to collecting fire wood. "Get as much wood as you think you need, then double it." The same goes for solar panels. Get twice what you need. That is probably what they were thinking when they came up with this picture showing how much in area the U.S. would need in solar panels to power it.
Solar to power the U.S..png

There are only a few means of storing energy.
Pumping water up to a reservoir is one.
Cracking water to make hydrogen is another, but not very efficient.

Capacitors would be the best way. They never wear out. Using the energy to speed up a perfectly balanced large heavy disk is another. On a large scale, I heard that using the energy to heat up sodium is a good way.

Were to bulldoze Southern California flat and cover it in solar panels it would be progress toward energy independence in oh so many ways!

Hungry work, though......

You don't need to bulldoze anything to put up solar panels. And is we covered half of southern California with them, it would power the whole nation.

Wind, maybe. Solar, never. The sun rises each day. Like clockwork. And the only thing you may need batteries for is cars. For anything else, they are other ways to store energy. Also, nobody is likely to be stupid enough to get only enough solar energy as they need. It is like what some survivalists on Naked and Afraid say they are taught when it comes to collecting fire wood. "Get as much wood as you think you need, then double it." The same goes for solar panels. Get twice what you need. That is probably what they were thinking when they came up with this picture showing how much in area the U.S. would need in solar panels to power it.
View attachment 541515
You actually need more than twice as many because solar panels only have a 23% or less depending on where they are capacity rating.

IN AZ solar panels actual power output is 23% of its rated capacity so you need 4.3 times as many solar panels to have output equal rated capacity. So that little square on your map will actually need to be almost as big as the state of AZ

Forum List

Back